Notices

Friday Fighting

Old 03-28-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday Fighting

Day 11. Wanting wine badly. It's Friday and I've made it this far. At my kids athletic practice and brought a teammate with us. When picking up friend, saw an empty wine glass on the kitchen counter. I'm angry! I want to have a glass and be normal. First encounter with this angry feeling. It's not fair! Determined not to cave but it sure does flat out suck!
Old 03-28-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Exactly - you have made it this far so don't quit. Think about waking up tomorrow with no regrets.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Sensitive....totally get that feeling of anger. I remember feeling like a bratty child because I couldn't have alcohol. It's normal, and each time we work through that feeling, we learn new ways to cope when it pops up next time.

11 days is great! Please don't underestimate the efforts you've made so far!
Old 03-28-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Getting angry and feeling it's unfair must all be part of the process because right around the same time in my recovery I also started having craving episodes that involved self pity, anger and feelings of unfairness. If it's any help, that stage didn't last that long for me. I think it's probably part of the process of acceptance and letting go.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mrs S - just think of how a lot of people will feel tomorrow...

You may feel hard done by now - thats very normal - but when you remember what drinking does to our lives, and when you begin to discover what life in recovery can be like, I have no doubt you'll see things differently...in time

stay strong
D
Old 03-28-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Try to remember all the reasons you quit drinking in the first place. The regret, the shame, the wasted money and time. Remind yourself of how good you'll feel in the morning if you don't drink tonight.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a lot of resentment and anger in the early days too. I was so angry that I had let myself end up an alcoholic. And, there was nothing I could do to change it. So, I had to learn forgiveness and patience. Those two feelings will help you manage your new sober life.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am sure a ton of people have already said something like this, but are you really jealous of a single or even a couple glasses of wine?

I saw Craig Ferguson (late late show) do a stand-up act and he managed to turn his alcoholism and sobriety into a comedy bit (in front of thousands of college kids). He said he was shocked when people said "I like to stop drinking when I feel a buzz/my head doesn't feel right", and he said "that's why you drink!". Point is that is the mentality of an alcoholic, and I laughed at the time but now I realize what I really want is to be drunk, not have a couple drinks to "unwind" or whatever. The problem is not about a desire to relax a little.

Though I feel jealous of some others drinking, I remember those times when I had like two or three drinks and no more, and had to go to bed or something. It just irritated me, I would wish I could have more. Most interesting, after only a couple drinks, if that was it, I wished I had not, I prefer completely sober over obsessing over more drinks.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Still hanging in there. The craving passed. Thanks for all the support.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's great news! Wishing you strength. It gets easier.