Notices

Minimising or maximising alcohol?

Old 03-28-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Minimising or maximising alcohol?

Hi guys,

Another random thought/question.

I sometimes feel like people who are in recovery (myself, more than anyone) manage to blow up alcohol to even more than what it is by labelling themselves as an alcoholic, going to AA meetings where they talk about nothing but alcohol and the impact it had and then coming on here to talk about alcohol some more. It's almost like I have put it on a pedestal.

I wonder if it is possible, over time, to lessen the amount of time you dedicate to this? Like, will there ever come a day when I'm a non-drinker, but it's not all that big of a deal? That the label alcoholic is something I know applies to me, but that I associate more with the past than something I cope with every day?
Old 03-28-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought of drinking a lot when I was drinking.
It makes sense that I thought of it a lot for a while when I stopped drinking too.

My recovery is still a big part of my life but I don't obsess anymore.
I'm sure you'll get there too.

All the stuff you're doing now...posting here, going to AA - thats all good stuff, Kiki. Don't let yourself be convinced otherwise

D
Old 03-28-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I believe so but be careful of thinking you want to back off of the recovery stuff because you think it makes you obsess too much about alcohol. I did this and it was the first step to drinking again. I know of some others who have made the same mistake. I'm not saying you will do this, bust be mindful of that is all.

I get a little bummed when I think of a lifetime of being in recovery, but I look at it as an incurable disease that goes into remission as long as it's being treated.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's new and exciting, and we put in a lot of effort, especially the beginning parts, so people can get a bit gung ho about things -- and that's probably good, most of the time.

Time rolls on, though. After awhile it's just second nature, like wearing underpants.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Great Question!

I've wondered how talking about it all the time, and going to therapy/meetings to talk about it helps instead of keeping Alcohol freshly on the mind ALL THE TIME.

I can only trust the long timers that it works in the beginning and the obsessing thoughts fade.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Kiki, it's all up to you how you choose to handle this. You can see the full continuum of attitudes here, from the 'alcohol - meh' attitude to the OMG!!1!! There are pros and cons for each side. Your common sense behind your question is strong and true, from my point of view.

The only valid comment that anyone is able make is what is effective for them, and only for them. Only you can say what will be right for you. Don't let nobody tell you otherwise.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting this threat, Kiki. I have wondered about this kind of question too.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

At the moment I am doing 2-3 meetings a week, seeing a therapist every two weeks (I'd like to do this every week but holy f*** it's expensive) and posting here.

I'm comfortable with 2-3 meetings a week, but I see a lot of old timers who do more and recommend I do the same. Since everyone says I can forge my own path I'll just stick with this.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I don't still attend meetings because I think about taking a drink, I go to offer someone new in recovery ESH. Someone was there for me. This my way of paying it forward.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I think it just takes time. I wondered about this too early on, and it's different for everyone. I don't even think about it anymore, I'm just a non drinker. I come here not to really talk about alcohol, but to provide support and experience.