I started going to AA
14.69%
other
16.78%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

HOW did you quit????

Old 03-29-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The question in the OP was how we quit: I did the home dummy thing + SR. Maintaining it is a much more complex work in progress and will be that way I believe for a very long time.

If I ever had to quit again, would most likely consider inpatient rehab or IOP - I was thinking about these options also last December but in the end went for the "simpler" solution.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I voted "other". I quit at home, cold turkey, but not like a dummy. When I quit, I wasn't drinking enough that I had any withdrawal issues; I mostly had to deal with habit and triggers which was bad enough for me. So, I found other things to do when drinking time rolled around and relied on AVRT to quell the urges. I also found visits to this site helpful in the early stages of abstinence. I am now nearing the point where I seldom think of drinking unless I visit SR. In fact, I am contemplating an experimental sabbatical from this site as a way of thinking of drinking even less.

Last edited by Cascabel; 03-29-2014 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-29-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Cold turkey plus counseling, lots of counseling.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I got sober cold turkey and stay close to SR to keep me going when I need that kick in the A**
Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

B/c I was a binger, I had at least two to three days in between drinking episodes.

On a day where I usually drank, I ordered my wine, took a few sips, and was disgusted at how much more it was going to take in order for me to get where I needed to be buzz-wize. It also didn't even taste good. I paid up my bill and walked out of the establishment. That was pretty much it.

I had been reading this site for a handful of months prior to this day. After that afternoon, I took it day by day, knocking off on the calendar each alcohol-free day. I also saw a therapist a few times, and logged in here daily. I'd say SR is my primary recovery tool.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

At home alone. I had gone on a 3 day binge with 3 - 12 packs, xanex and chantix. Dt's were horrible. No sleep for 3 nights in a row, heart rate up to 135 BPM, sever shaking, sweats, hallucinations and anxiety for an entire week. I should have gone to the hospital. Took AA really seriously from that first day forward. And thank God found this board.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Not to be jaded but, I see a lot of fall out.

I'll be curious how many on this post will be here in a year.
I've been on here a long long time and the survival rate isn't great .
Old 03-29-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Cold turkey which was fine because I was really a light weigh (my alcoholism is more about how drinking affects me mentally than how much I drank) and not physically addicted. I was a bit uncomfortable the first few days then the mental obsession was lifted. I went back to AA about a week after I quit.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Back when I finally plugged the jug AA was the only show in town besides detox and rehab. I use it now to stay in recovery and so far it works if I work it.

BE WELL
Old 03-29-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post

What's your purpose in writing this post?

Thanks for reminding us all that the "survival rate isn't great" -- really something newcomers want to hear, or be reminded of, as they embark on perhaps the most difficult journey of their life.

Support and optimism, as opposed to jaded cynicism, might be more useful to those who haven't been on "here a long long time" such as yourself.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

After reading all the horror stories, I am truly grateful that I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms with the exception of some mild anxiety. I am thankful that I stopped when I did. If i had continued my drinking, it would have been much more difficult to stop.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

When I quit I detoxed at home had no idea it could be that dangerous. Then I went and saw a drug and alcohol counsellor and he got me into daytox and it took off from there. I also do AA, WFS and smart.

To just quit drinking is one thing, to stay sober is another. To stay sober I need to work at it. I need something to help me along.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post

What do you mean by "survival rate"? are you talking length of forum membership? or are you talking length of sobriety before a slip-up/return to drinking?
Old 03-29-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Combination possibly.

I went through my friends list last night to see who was still on here from when I started.
Some have passed, others I have lost contact with. I pray they went on with their lives an just don't come on here any longer.

Then, there are the ones that aren't done. What I find intriguing is how after a limited time of not drinking and getting a life turned around, an alcoholic tries to drink again.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

i quit with the help of a sponsor who has been through the steps as laid out in the big book and i have no plans of going back out
Old 03-29-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Interesting you should say that Captain. I've been entertaining the thought that I can drink again for the last few days. My alcoholic brain says... you know... you could probably have a beer, work is going well (just finished a huge month long project), you've got your schedule under control, you just caught up on your bills, and you have the money to pay for the deductible on your car from the DUI now. Then my clear head says no way.... you know where that leads. But still the thought nags on. Does that mean I'm not done?
Old 03-29-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

you only have to worry about today. if you feel like drinking read one of the stories in the back of the big book it'll help you think twice.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

We call this romancing the drink where I'm from.

What brought you here? Did you find alcohol helping you in your daily life?
It really is insanity that keeps us out there drinking.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

No I did not find it helping me in my daily life at all. It helped me stay numb, ignore my problems, lose my family, lose my car, and almost lose my job. What brought me here is the need to be with others that feel the same way I do/did and I have a drinking problem. I know that if I go and get that beer, I won't stop at one. And the thought of going through DT's like I did the last time scares the daylights out of me.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

alcohol is the only drug you can die from during withdraw from seizing. something i learned in rehab.