Notices

Grateful today for you guys....

Old 03-28-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful today for you guys....

Well, 90 days!!!

Three months. It sort of seems like it's been a lot longer this time around. Feels like the days sort of dragged by. Not in the sense that it was a struggle, more in the sense that sobriety has felt a bit more resolved and permanent and I guess therefore I have this odd feeling of wanting it to be longer faster. I'm not sure what that's about.

I do know that part of it is I'm really yearning to finally hit that 6 months that I have yet to attain. A milestone in terms of making it further and more permanent than ever before. Also a milestone in that I want to start going to the meetings at the hospital and working with folks there as a guest AA - which requires at least 6 months sobriety.

But anyway, today I'm grateful. For waking up sharp and clear and sober. For all the minutes and memories of this past 90 days that were lived without a haze. For the improvements in my health and my feeling of wellness. I'm grateful to be free of cravings and the anchor of unwanted poison that I poured down my throat on autopilot. I'm grateful to experience all of life unfiltered through the woozy booozy goggles of intoxication. I'm grateful to be running again. I'm grateful to be more productive and joyful and to have picked up my guitar again. I'm grateful to be a fully conscious father and partner to my lady and I'm grateful that they won't suffer from the weight of a drunken man in their lives.

And - all of you - I'm grateful for you. You've helped me make it this far and I know you're here helping me trudge on.... every day.

Thank you.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Free Owl that was a lovely post, especially the part about your family. It must feel so good after the guilt and self-loathing that comes with alcoholism.
The bit where you're feeling impatient about time dragging out reminds me of when I'm looking forward to a holiday and the time just can't go fast enough. Looking back, it's a blessed time of excitement and goes too fast.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go! I know what you mean...it's a bit like when you were a kid, wishing you were all grown up! I was eager to get more sober time but as time goes on I just let it come instead of "chasing sobriety".

Congrats on the first 90! Here's to the next ones.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Congrats! I can't wait to get to 90 days sober! I have a long way to go and I know what you mean about time dragging a bit, but I'm sure it goes by at a more normal speed as we get further along (I'm presuming!). Keep up the great work!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congats Free Owl,

Very lovely words you shared. Thanks

Old 03-28-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats FreeOwl

D
Old 03-28-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What an encouraging post, Owl! You sound very strong.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post, and 90 days -- that is awesome! From my perspective, 90 days is the holy grail! :-)
Old 03-28-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done, great going