SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Soooooo annoyed! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/327267-soooooo-annoyed.html)

liss74 03-28-2014 01:53 AM

Soooooo annoyed!

I'm alcoholic in early recover went to meeting and that nervous feeling went felt good. Then come home to everyone drinking FML !!! Grrrrrr

Dee74 03-28-2014 01:55 AM

A lot of us have to deal with those around us drinking Liss.

They may not know whats good for them...but we know whats good for us.

You;'re on the right track - keep using all the sober support you have - you can do this :)

D

SoberLeigh 03-28-2014 01:57 AM

Stay strong, liss. Don't join in the drinking. Go to bed if you have to.

ReadyAtLast 03-28-2014 01:57 AM

Do your family know you are stopping drinking? Maybe your husband can drink in just one room or discreetly . I know some say other family members should just quit or not drink in the home but I don't see this as fair.It's MY problem not anyone else's. My husband still drinks (normally). That said, there should be mutual respect in a marriage and drinking excessively in front of you isn't fair.

Don't use it as a reason to join in though

mejorando 03-28-2014 02:44 AM

Since I've been going to meetings 11 months ago, my life has completely changed. Keep your recovery simple as possible and keep going to meetings. Your friends/family who still drink WILL annoy you so get used to it. Unless you change the scenery--I've been doing this recently--you'll be tempted. It's been tough but rewarding. Making friends in the program is one of the best things I've done.

Let us know how things go--we are in your corner!

Andy P

liss74 03-28-2014 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by mejorando (Post 4555054)
Since I've been going to meetings 11 months ago, my life has completely changed. Keep your recovery simple as possible and keep going to meetings. Your friends/family who still drink WILL annoy you so get used to it. Unless you change the scenery--I've been doing this recently--you'll be tempted. It's been tough but rewarding. Making friends in the program is one of the best things I've done. Let us know how things go--we are in your corner! Andy P

Im ok just soooo glad I went to meeting :) in bed now with my little girl .

FreeOwl 03-28-2014 02:55 AM

I don't have to deal with coming home to anyone drinking. Fortunately. My girlfriend still drinks - but she has never been more than an occasional one or two drinks person and often wouldn't have even that. She fully supports my decision of sobriety and drinks even less now, but still has a beer once in a while in a social setting. I think it would really be tough if I were dealing with regular drinkers in my immediate surroundings....

That said, I've been in a lot of situations with work colleagues and friends who still drink and many who are heavy drinkers. I have found that reminding myself it's all MY decision and nothing to do with them is helpful. I've found that observing them closely has also been enlightening. WHY do they drink? Why is it that "a good time" must be synonymous nearly always with alcohol? Even if they are not 'problem drinkers' - when was the last time any of them went 90 days without a drink? Would they? COULD they? WHY?? Why are we so enslaved to this thing? Why are the images and the activities and the actions of society so interwoven with pouring poison down our throats????

When I think about these things I become much more comfortable in my decision. I don't share my status as "an alcoholic" with many people. I simply say if asked that "I find life more joyous without it".... that also helps for me personally, because part of my challenge in addiction is 'feeling different'. But, when I can frame that difference as a positive; that I am CHOOSING to be different in a very positive way. That in fact my choice is a healthy, joyous choice... even an example in a world so infused with this stuff - it becomes much easier to be around others who are still drinking.

Hold tight to your choice. You can do it.

venuscat 03-28-2014 03:01 AM

Glad you're OK liss.
Sleep well.

Love V xx

afloatsober 03-28-2014 03:04 AM

Liss
Keep plugging away at this. You are doing great. This is for you, first and foremost!
G:)

liss74 03-28-2014 05:40 PM

Thanxxxx got through it xxx

mejorando 04-06-2014 07:58 AM

Your enthusiasm gives me strength today! Keep it up, I'm really happy for you!