Notices

The formula - weekender thread 3/28-30

Old 03-28-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Today is my last day in IOP and it's bittersweet. I'm happy to be graduating, but I will miss my new friends, the support and the structure. However, when one door closes another opens. I'm working on spreading my AA wings and have a good support system in place.

Plus it means cupcakes, an AA meeting after, then celebratory lunch consisting of both cheesesteak and cheesecake. A girl's gotta live a little! :~p

@Weasel - Oh my drinking got so much worse when I started my business working from home. No boss, no co-workers, just me at home with alcohol and tremendous pressure. Yikes.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Sober weekend here! On the downside the weekend will be spent doing taxes. On the upside I now have the metal capacity to stay on task. Doesn't mean that I can't still put it off until the last minute though

I hear you on the working from home Ken. I have always had the capability but what that would have meant to me previously is that I could stay up as late as I wanted to and drink. I didn't have to face anyone in the morning so it didn't matter because they couldn't see the pain. Even though I was a weekend binge drinker if I was working a day at home then it meant that I could drink the night before because I didn't really have to get up and go anywhere in the morning. Funny how we make up the rules as we go.

Wishing everyone a sober weekend!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi again, everybody. This is my third weekend coming up, and my AV has settled down a little, not plotting and planning ways to drink "moderately". We can do this!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
If I do this, I will get an entire week. I overcame a huge hurdle today, and feel the momentum. 5 days is the longest I've gone since my son was a newborn (he's 18 months now). My formula for success this weekend will be to read and post as needed and to keep busy!
My son is 25 months and I am also on the longest stretch of sobriety I have had since he's been born - day 6 for me.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This will be my first sober weekend. I can do it. I am going to a comedy show tonight with my husband. I need the laughs, for sure!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
do I need 3000 45 rpm singles ? i don't have a record player …
Ohh, Mecanix, don't be too hasty! I'm here at McDonalds and they just played a slow R&B version of the old Disco classic "Knock On Wood." Made me wish I still had my old Amii Stewart 45! (I typically hate remakes of all stripes--and I'm old enough to remember the originals!).
Old 03-28-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

LBrain,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

on your PhD!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So I asked my husband not to bring beer home this weekend, and he was good with that. He did that last Friday -- he asked me first and I said it was OK, but in the end, it wasn't. I don't even like beer, but his drinking around me so early in my sobriety bothered me, and I spent too much effort dealing with it. And that 12-pack wasn't finished until last night. Evidently people who aren't alcoholics don't feel the need to drink all 12 at once. :-)

I'm very grateful that he is supporting my decision not to drink.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sober weekend for me. Evenings are my risky time so have made plans. Babysitting tonight and need to drive, birthday tea tomorrow and driving again. Sunday tucked up in bed watching Shetland.

Thanks for the thought provoking start to the weekend thread.....
Old 03-28-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hunkering down for yet ANOTHER snow storm. I'm sooooooo sick if this weather. I woke up this morning to snow and sleet pelting my window. I have counseling this afternoon and I'm watching my grandchildren...so that is two good mood things. I will probably be inside due to weather so I need to think of some things to do. I think I'm going to dig in to the closet for the paint I put in there awhile ago....may be time to put colors on the walls.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Last night after dinner my wife announced she was going to call an old friend that she had not spoken with in several months. I always liked this woman. She has very different social/political views than me, but we could debate without it getting uncomfortable or ugly.

After dinner my wife sequestered herself in another room so they could talk. About an hour later she emerged with red-rimmed eyes. Seems her friend has had a bad encounter with domestic violence. Her future ex gave her a beating and she is going to divorce him, but he is not emotionally stable and she still fears for her safety (and for her children's safety, as well).

We talked for a few minutes and then my wife came over and got in the chair with me (this never happens!), kissed me, and thanked me for not being that guy. I reminded her I was a drunk for many years, but apparently that was pretty harmless in comparison. We had a nice snuggle.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend.

Bittersweet weekend as oldest son ends his spring break visit and goes back to college. At least we got to enjoy his company for the last week.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Non.... I understand. That was sweet.

Ken
Old 03-28-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

TrickyD! Go for it! Any plans?
Old 03-28-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm in for another sober weekend. Keeping the house clean. Keeping the dishes washed and put away. Clean is the new theme. Funny how the further into sobriety I go, the more organized and clean the house gets. How did I live in such a dump? I guess my mind and body were also a dump: no more.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Okay, this is something I posted up in the March 2014 thread but I wanted to share it here as well because, well, it was a big deal for me.

Okay, quick fact about me. I am stubborn. I was going to use the word reserved but that's just not true. I'm stubborn.

I'm one of those people who is invited to do things and I tend to decline or just not go. My ex would drag me to things that I thought I didn't want to do. I was usually glad he did because I had a good time doing whatever it was. You'd think I'd figure out how to change this about myself by now.

So, went to the AA meeting. I was nervous but I walked through the doors and someone led me to the room where it was held. Almost chickened out at the door. I went in. There were only six other people there, one woman for which I was thankful to have. I was glad it was such a small group. All I can say is wow, why didn't I go sooner? They all made me feel really welcome and comfortable. They all shared their stories of how they come to be in AA, histories and such. I decided I would too. Man, did it feel good. The woman there gave me her number and they gave me a little book with all the meetings around the area. Wow, there are a lot! There is a ladies meeting tomorrow morning I'd like to check out.

Yep, I'd go back.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Day 7. Have experienced no problems, no withdrawal....but today feeling lethargic and head feels full like a headache without the ache. Noticed my eyes are clear & face bloat & flush reduced so I look more like myself. Facing treacherous ride home though.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewWonder View Post
Day 7. Have experienced no problems, no withdrawal....but today feeling lethargic and head feels full like a headache without the ache. Noticed my eyes are clear & face bloat & flush reduced so I look more like myself. Facing treacherous ride home though.
Congrats NewWonder, First week is tough.First months can be tough. Hang in there! Next thing you that first week will like so long ago.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hah Gilmer! Now I have Knock on Wood running through my head! I actually still have my 45 but unfortunately my kids broke my turntable. Kind of like having a cigarette but no lighter. Argh! I have all my old vinyl. Nothing like the hiss and pop as it spins. I still think vinyl adds a depth to music that is missing on either cd or digital downloads.

I think I will check out you tube for a listen before I run off to my 7:00 meeting. Aarryhcka, I am glad you had a good first meeting. Women are sometimes sparse at meetings but there is probably one with a few more attending. Ask the lady who gave you her number and she will know.

Congrats LBrain on your PhD. Awesome!

Let's go gang! Sober weekend, full steam ahead!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Congratulations LBrain!!!