Notices

First time here, first post

Old 03-26-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time here, first post

Hello everyone,

This is my first real attempt at quitting alcohol and I was looking for a place for guidance and support...

My father is an alcoholic and I picked up the bottle about 4 years ago. I have not been able to stay sober for even one day in the past four years, I work a steady job but it has affected my relationship with my husband and family members..

The reason I chose to quit now is because three days ago I found out I was pregnant. I have wanted to stop but there is no better reason than for my unborn child. I have been on birth control for 9 years religiously so it definitely was not planned but I have no choice but to step up and kick the addiction.

It has only been a few days but I think about drinking all day. My anxiety has been pretty high and I have hope that I can make it through this without drinking. I hope reading about other peoples stories will help and that I could possibly help someone as well..

Thanks for having me
Old 03-26-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I'm glad you know you need to stop drinking.

Of course, it won't be easy, but this is something you must do for your child. The health of your baby is the most important thing right now.

Do you have a plan to help you stop drinking and stay sober? We understand how hard this is and I'm glad you found us.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Brunettelove.

Glad you found us. Have you put any plans into place to help you not drink?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Brunettelove46
You'll find a lot of support here.

Why not join our Class of March support thread?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-5-a-14.html

D
Old 03-26-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your pregnancy!! I'm sure focusing on the joys and excitement of becoming a mother will help take your mind off of drinking for now.. One day at a time
Old 03-26-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good on you BL46 for making the choice to stop drinking, keep posting here and stay glued to these forums. The stories you read on here can help guide you through the early days of recovery. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the awesome support here can help you stop drinking for good. You and your baby deserve the best.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Just when I thought we were about to run out of recovering alcoholics around here we scoop a fresh recruit who is not drinking for two!

Welcome, and Congrats to both of you!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you Brunette. You are among friends who truly understand. There's plenty of help and encouragement here. I think you'll feel right at home. Congratulations on your pregnancy.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the pregnancy! I have a 2 and 4 year old myself. It's amazing the strength you can find when it's for your child. I encourage you to use imagery to help you right now. Imagine your sweet little baby growing inside of you. It's truly a miraculous thing. I'd also encourage you to be honest with your doctor when you have your first appt. Gotta keep momma and that bean safe. xo
Old 03-26-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations ,, I have two kids and drank heavy from the age of twelve but managed to stay sober for my two pregnancies , it's crucial for your child's development please get all the help you can if u feel like drinking because this is serious stuff sweet, it's a life a stake ,
Old 03-27-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxxx
Old 03-27-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you are looking for support, you will get plenty here...congratulations, many good loving moments ahead, you dont need drink, you can do this!! x
Old 03-27-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A baby! How exciting! I'm so glad you found us! You will find so much support here! I'm a mommy of a 10, 5, & 4yr old & kids are such an amazing blessing! Recovery can be tough at first but what better reason could you have to quit! Be sure to talk to your doc as soon as possible! Welcome & Congrats on taking the first steps!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Congrats on the pregnancy!

For all three of my pregnancies, something just shut off in terms of wanting to drink. I don't know why and I can't explain it - maybe I was just on too much of a high over being excited about being pregnant, not sure.

The anxiety will subside, it's only been a few days.

Could you possibly start seeing a therapist to talk about your drinking issues if this need to drink doesn't go away?