SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/327077-new-here.html)

RochesterHills 03-26-2014 07:56 AM

New here

Hello, I am new. I have never posted in a forum before so please be patient. Struggling with alcohol addiction and looking for advice.

Coldfusion 03-26-2014 08:05 AM

Welcome, RH!

You have found a very valuable sobriety resource here at SoberRecovery. Keep reading and posting!

Amajorityofone 03-26-2014 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by RochesterHills (Post 4551611)
Hello, I am new. I have never posted in a forum before so please be patient. Struggling with alcohol addiction and looking for advice.

Welcome :)

You'll find lots of helpful advice here. Can u start by telling us a little bit more about yourself?

Treerat66 03-26-2014 09:23 AM

Hi RochesterHills, Welcome to SR.

Aarryckha 03-26-2014 09:40 AM

Welcome to SR!

There's lots of great people here with very helpful advice!

RightLAine 03-26-2014 09:41 AM

Welcome!

FreeOwl 03-26-2014 09:51 AM

welcome aboard!

you've found a good place.

KateL 03-26-2014 09:56 AM

Welcome xxxx

RochesterHills 03-26-2014 12:08 PM

Thanks so much. I've been a heavy drinker since college. Very functional. Hold down a good job. Great relationship. Everything looks great on the surface. I think my family has started to suspect my alcoholism due to changes in my appearance. I am not violent when I drink and my partner has never questioned it. I am, however, becoming extremely depressed when I think about the outlook if I continue this but I don't know how to stop.

Amajorityofone 03-26-2014 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by RochesterHills (Post 4552020)
Thanks so much. I've been a heavy drinker since college. Very functional. Hold down a good job. Great relationship. Everything looks great on the surface. I think my family has started to suspect my alcoholism due to changes in my appearance. I am not violent when I drink and my partner has never questioned it. I am, however, becoming extremely depressed when I think about the outlook if I continue this but I don't know how to stop.

Friend-

You stop just like we all do.
One, day, at a time.

Don't worry about tomorrow, next week, next month or next year. Just focus on not drinking today. Can you do that?

seeks 03-26-2014 12:37 PM

Welcome! Read and post you'll find great insight and advice here

toddle118 03-26-2014 12:40 PM

Welcome to SR, it is a great little community and I hope it helps you as it has me :)

Jade1224 03-26-2014 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by RochesterHills (Post 4552020)

It's great that you have decided to stop before it escalates. Maybe your partner will be more understanding than you think.

I am glad you are here! Welcome.

RochesterHills 03-26-2014 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jade1224 (Post 4552070)
It's great that you have decided to stop before it escalates. Maybe your partner will be more understanding than you think.

I am glad you are here! Welcome.

I know my partner will be supportive. I considered going to AA meetings near our home but I am too embarrassed to tell him that I think I need that. Then I started looking at rehab facilities in my area since my insurance and company will pay for it. Believe it or not I had a hard time getting anyone to take my call much less talk to me about providing service (I even left messages. Is this typical?). I just can't believe I can be so strong in certain parts of my life and so weak in this one.

Holli 03-26-2014 01:55 PM

Welcome to SR hoard, you can do this :-)

sugarbear1 03-26-2014 02:17 PM

try AA. rehab will suggest it as part of aftercare, might as well save some money.

look for your area's intergroup.....search: aa city state and look for a link that ends with .org

Dee74 03-26-2014 02:48 PM

Hi and welcome RochesterHills :)

D

Hevyn 03-26-2014 02:50 PM

It's great to meet you RH - you have found a friendly & supportive place to talk things over. You're no longer alone. :)