Notices

Lack of obsession?

Old 03-26-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
I could never living in the moment unless I was drunk or high.
Interesting that that never before occurred to me . Was really simple to live in the now when I was whacked. That probably had a whole lot to do with the appeal of it for me.

RE: mindfulness, I read half the book titled mindfulness, thought it was awesome but then lost interest and didn't follow through. I think I'm going to have another go at it and pick up Mindfulness for Beginners. Read the Tolle book, but for some reason it kinda went right through me. Felt like he was just rehashing a lot of things I read before from other authors. I liked one of his other books more, but I forgot the title.

Curious about the online courses, too. Anyone have any info on that that could save me some google work? Free is always better too , if there are any free courses available.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Joe Nerv - Interesting it never occurred to you that being drunk / drugged sort of erases concerns about past and future. I believe many of us get hooked for this very reason, like you also pointed out. It just gets seriously skewed and ***ed up with drugs so we never really learn the real deal about living in the moment until we quit...

My personal favorite resource for mindfulness and meditation aids is Alan Wallace's work:
B. Alan Wallace

There are free videos and audios on his website. He also wrote a few great books, Attention revolution is good for starters:
The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind: B. Alan Wallace, Daniel Goleman: 9780861712762: Amazon.com: Books

I also went to retreat organized by him, wonderful experience. His style is definitely not for everyone but I thought to mention as one possibility.

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
Interesting that that never before occurred to me . Was really simple to live in the now when I was whacked. That probably had a whole lot to do with the appeal of it for me.

RE: mindfulness, I read half the book titled mindfulness, thought it was awesome but then lost interest and didn't follow through. I think I'm going to have another go at it and pick up Mindfulness for Beginners. Read the Tolle book, but for some reason it kinda went right through me. Felt like he was just rehashing a lot of things I read before from other authors. I liked one of his other books more, but I forgot the title.

Curious about the online courses, too. Anyone have any info on that that could save me some google work? Free is always better too , if there are any free courses available.