Notices

Counting Days

Old 03-26-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I count days because it makes me feel a good about what is being accomplished. It is also one of the many motivators that helps me to abstain because I don't want to start over again. The number of days is a source of inspiration as I think about how much my mind and body must be healing over time in the absence of alcohol. As a Christian, the number of days builds my faith in God and witnesses to His power to sustain me over time - something I never was able to do on my own before I surrendered to a higher power.

All that said, the number of days of sobriety had the most impact in the very early days of sobriety. Now each individual day carries less importance. At this stage I think more in terms of counting weeks.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I guess I needed to count when I needed to get through on a daily basis, my challenges now are situations ahead of me that I'm yet to know though I keep constantly reminding myself why I'm on the path I am.
No numbers indicated safety though did give a sense of pride.
John
Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BruceSA View Post
Hello Friends,

Everything’s gonna be all right. Rockabye.

Bruce.
Thats awesome!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

For me, right now, counting is helping me to stay on track. I doubt it is something I'll do forever. I'll probably really stop counting after six months and think of it a monthly thing for a while.

When I had one of my strongest urges recently, the thought of starting at Day 1 again really wised me up. That and coming here to SR to fess up that I slipped. So, I'm going to count away. Day 25 is in full swing!
Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Counting seems to get less important as time goes by, although I'm mindful of where I am.

In the beginning, and due to the fact that I was a weekend binge drinker, the days were important but more important was how many weekends it had been. I'm at 10 months tomorrow. I'm sure that once I make it to a year I'll always know how many months it's been but jeese, to try to figure out days or weekends doesn't really come to mind now.

Whatever it takes.