Notices

Want to drink

Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want to drink

I'm a wreck today emotionally, been cleaning out our...I mean my shed to get rid of all of my husbands gear. And all I want is a drink. I know it won't help and I'll feel bad afterwards but god I just want to stop feeling. I want to rip my heart out and just stop the emotions so I can breathe again. How the hell do you get over this. And sober?????

Thankfully I don't have any money on me because I'd be down that bottlo quicker than I could log into this site.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do this! I know how hard it is! We all have times that the bottle is calling us because we're emotionally having a hard time but don't give in! Your stronger then your feeling right now!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi dark faith feeling is difficult especially after not feeling for soooo long , when I got sober I kept myself busy and still do with aa meetings and there I met new friends which u can do sober things together , also making calls to someone to let your emotions out really helps , even going for a sleep can shut off the feelings for a drink just do something it's a learning curb for your new sober life , if u give in to that drink your mind will know u gave in a the next attempt to quit will be even harder BELIEVE me I know ! Please think first before u give in we are here for you xxxxx
Old 03-25-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Just remember that drinking won't change anything and will just make you feel worse. Call a friend if you can. Don't allow any person or circumstance to hinder your sobriety. You can do this. (hugs)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay with us - feelings are strange and painful to begin with - we're not used to them...but the pain will pass

D
Old 03-25-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Darkfaith, it isn't YOU that wants a drink, it's the AV (addictive part of the brain) that wants what it has been conditioned to want. Not you, you are the rational voice that joined SR. Your AV is throwing a tantrum right now. Just feel sorry for IT, acknowledge that the only reason it is craving so badly right now is because you fed it that crap for so long. It's like taking candy from a child; yes they will rant and rave, cry and stomp, but over time, the body recovers and the addition becomes weaker. Take a hot bath, close your eyes and envision how much better your life will be once you get through breaking the addiction cycle. Keep repeating to yourself "it is not me that wants a drink, it's the addiction and I'm calling the shots now, so the answer is NO, now go to sleep!" Trust me, that got me through the first couple of weeks!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know how ridiculous that sounds, but in all honesty, getting through the first couple of weeks is like dealing with a child throwing a tantrum. The more focused you are in separating YOU from your addictive voice, the more apparent it becomes. You already know you want to quit drinking, but the internal tantrum makes you second guess yourself. Stay firm in your commitment, one day at a time (or hour, or minute) and it does get soooo much easier.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang on. You will not feel this way forever. Alcohol doesn't take away pain - if anything, it will ultimately intensify it, drag it out, mix it with regret and shame.

You will wake up tomorrow morning glad you didn't drink today.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hugs darkfaith, hang in there, you will not find any answers at the end of a bottle just more pain....I get that emotions and feelings have the power to rip into us but don't let them.

Try and sit quietly with a few and if it's appropriate let the tears flow of punch a pillow, go for a run, swim, talking to a friend...work out what helps you cope with your feelings other than drinking them down...
Tomorrow will be better, sometimes a little time helps with the rawness of our feelings.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Please hang in there! For me, I'm jobless and homeless and I decided I can be sober or drunk during this bad time in my life! I'm sober! 80 days tomorrow Just don't pick up that drink! You'LL thank yourself! STAY STRONG!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im so glad I found this forum, couple of weeks ago I would have just borrowed money and gone to drink, but instead I read and reread posts on here. Thank you for all the support. I ended up having a good cry and fell asleep. Woke up feeling half hungover and my god it feels like crap. Why would I want to go through that again?? Pretty sure I'm completely dehydrated and if I had drunk I would have ended up sick and stressed more when the kids got home.

Day 8 today and I will get through it sober.

Love the idea that my AV is like a child throwing a tantrum, defiantly feels like that.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

I'm sorry you're having a rough time and I'm glad you're here instead of picking up. I think we've gone so long numbing our feelings that when we are going through a tough time, it really seems insurmountable. Hang in there and remember you have a lot of people cheering you on.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not homeless from me being an alcoholic, the place I.worked for shut down. Haven't found a steady job since (3yrs).I go to a noon meeting then to hit the unemployment office to look for a job! But I never forget what the oldtimers always say " suit up and show up" to a meeting! I haven't drank since! MIRACLE!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bizzybee, wow that's a tough situation. I feel blessed that I still have a roof over my head, I've managed to hold onto my job and I haven't completely stuffed up my two kids yet.

I went to a meeting last week and there's another one tonight but I just don't know if it's for me.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Meetings aren't for everyone, but it's working for me! I'm not living on the streets I'M sleeping @my x's with our 2 adult daughters in a small town 80 miles from where I used to live. I hate it out here but I'm grateful for a couch to sleep on! If I were drinking, I'd be on the streets! I(we) need to do whatever it takes to stay sober!