Notices

Going back to work

Old 03-25-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Randummy

Going back to work

Hi everyone,

I haven't worked more than a few days for about five months and I'm newly sober. I got a full-time, permanent job last week and it's so, so difficult. Aside from being absolutely exhausted, I feel totally unmotivated and ill suited to the job.

I used to be a very erratic, super efficient worker. I became very highly strung and really good at every job I've had (mostly temporary roles) however, since I made the decision to stop drinking, even though I've relapsed, I'm a lot calmer. I appreciate that some tasks take priority over others, but I can't go back to that intense, frenzied work that my coworkers seem to participate in.

I don't know what to do. I just can't seem to adapt back into full-time work and I guess I just feel like a different person to my previous work-mode and I don't know how to deal with it.

Sorry if this is a bit garbled.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you need to give it some time, a week isn't enough to know if the job is going to work for you. Hopefully things will settle down.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Holli's right - give yourself at least a month to settle in, Ramdummy

D
Old 03-25-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Randummy,

Take it one day at a time. It's cliché, but it's true. Sobriety, and everything that comes with it, has been proven to be solved a day at a time.

How's your relationship with your superiors and colleagues at the new job? Asking for advice and help from those that care will show that you're proactive and sincere.

Let me know how it goes!

Andy
Old 03-25-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yep, give yourself some time to work through your changes. Don't be too worried that whatever you are feeling now is going to be the new you. That is one of the benefits of sobriety, you can choose how to live rather than just react.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

yes take it from someone who is impatient.....and frequently reminded of it time takes time.

we are in your corner...

v