SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New here; my story (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/326906-new-here-my-story.html)

Extrahours 03-24-2014 01:52 PM

New here; my story

Hello; I am a 33-year-old in New York. I recently made the choice to become sober. I have, in the past five years, gone from light drinker, to functioning alcoholic, to twice-a-week-wasted, to moderate drinker. I began drinking at age 13 and it was not something that I went any length of time without, ever since.

About 4 months ago, I decided for the first real time in my adult life to start living without alcohol. I went two months without a drink, and then had several drinks in a few-week period that ended two weeks ago. It's been two weeks now and I finally feel a real connection, an audible click, that tells me that this is the real thing.

My main "wow" moment came actually from having those few drinks after my two-month hiatus. I realized that I was not just drinking them for the taste alone.. that drinking one drink gave me absolutely No buzz.. so, I rationalized that I cannot "just have one" because it is pointless and I might as well drink soda or something else that is tastier. So.. I am done drinking.

My username refers to the "extra, great hours" that sobriety is adding to my life. A hangover would cost me about 6 hours of time in recovery.. those were 24 lost hours a month, on a very minimalist estimate, as it was sometimes more.. so, I am literally adding hours and days to my life, and I will be "truly living" longer. :)

I enjoy reading this forum, and decided to join for a more personalized experience. Hats off to sobriety :)

-Jen

SoberLeigh 03-24-2014 02:08 PM

Welcome, extrahours/Jen. Glad you found SR.

Extrahours 03-24-2014 02:10 PM

Thanks; looking forward to spending time here :)

least 03-24-2014 02:11 PM

Welcome to SR! :) I quit drinking over four years ago and don't miss it one bit. My life is far better than it was when I was drinking. I am so glad I quit. I think you'll be glad too. :hug:

Anna 03-24-2014 02:11 PM

That's a great first post, welcome!

It really is freeing when alcohol is no longer part of the picture. :)

firstymer 03-24-2014 02:12 PM

Welcome, Extrahours. I love the username. My days were increasingly consumed by my being either buzzed, drunk or hungover. So much lost time. With a few months of sobriety under my belt, I am amazed at how much more I am able to accomplish in a given day. It really is like having extra hours in the day, isn't it?

Welcome to SR. I am glad you are here with us. :ring

spdr 03-24-2014 02:22 PM

Hi! Congrats on a great start. Also new here and relate to pretty much all of that. Of all the many downsides to boozing i think the lost time is one of the worst - if i totted up all the wasted hours it would be some prison sentence!

Dee74 03-24-2014 03:44 PM

Welcome to the forum ExtraHours :)

Hevyn 03-24-2014 03:46 PM

Very good to meet you Jen! You found a great place. :)

Tiptree 03-24-2014 04:39 PM

Great post Jen. Never quite thought about it that way- extrahours ...nice

30yrdrunk 03-24-2014 05:03 PM

Jen,

Check out the book 'Kick The Drink Easily' by Jason Vale. Congratulations on your decision to quit.

TC

soberlicious 03-24-2014 06:45 PM

Extra hours, extra money, extra space in my brain...I've gained so much by quitting and lost absolutely nothing. It's a life changing decision that I have never regretted. Glad you've joined us.

KateL 03-26-2014 12:29 AM

Welcome Jen xxxx

Treerat66 03-26-2014 12:49 AM

Hi, Welcome to the forum extrahours.

Holli 03-26-2014 01:57 AM

I love the way you counted the extra hours in your life now. Welcome to SR.

Extrahours 03-26-2014 06:32 AM

Thanks for the replies and the welcomes :)

Extrahours 04-25-2014 10:19 AM

Update! 6 weeks drinkless. I went through a holiday gathering, a weekend tattoo convention (in which there were ample, ample opportunities and invites for drinks) and a few other gatherings with drinks. I can't say that I didn't want them because that is implying that this is easy.. but nope.

SoberLeigh 04-25-2014 10:24 AM

Great news, extrahours, and congratulations. Good job getting through some triggering events; very happy for you.

Upward2Enlightenment 04-25-2014 01:22 PM

That's great Jen... Keep it up

ChickChick 04-25-2014 01:38 PM

Congrats on 6 weeks! That is fantastic.