Notices

New here; my story

Old 04-25-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

6 weeks is fantastic, take care
Old 04-30-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks! Feels great mostly. Down sometimes.. but I am learning how to feel again.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the inspiring newbie story!

Today is my first day and I cannot sleep. It is really nice to think about all the extra goodies being totally present every day can offer.

Nice work!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi extrahours - I've found this forum very helpful - this is only Day 11 sober for me this time around. But I've worked out that my drinking problem just got worse over the years. Great to read your post.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations ExtraHours

D
Old 06-09-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Still going strong with the sobriety
Old 06-09-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Really liked your first post..that I read for first time tonight. Loved your last one even more. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing your success.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Please keep coming back to update:)

Dear Jen, you do not know me but thank you so much for coming back to update your progress.

What a great decision you have made for your life! This evening for some reason unknown to me, the most recent posts added to your thread, your update and Nuudawn's, mysteriously appeared in my email inbox?! Reading from the beginning of your thread, it was startling how your experience with alcohol sounded so much like mine! Continuing to read through the posts I stopped in my tracks when I arrived upon the following - and big rolly-polly tears started flowing down my cheeks.
Originally Posted by LeTheVerte View Post
Hi Jen,
Thanks for the inspiring newbie story!

Today is my first day and I cannot sleep. It is really nice to think about all the extra goodies being totally present every day can offer.

Nice work!
My post to you, written on my very first day of sober-ness, feeling terrified yet so hopeful. And I continued reading, surprised once again, how your following update echoes so simply how I feel these days:
Originally Posted by Extrahours View Post
Thanks! Feels great mostly. Down sometimes.. but I am learning how to feel again.
Tonight I am up late, once again, but still without alcohol my ex-nighttime companion. And I must say, there is a trend here...your experience recorded so simply and eloquently here on SR is what I am working so hard for - in this muck that is early sobriety. Praying to achieve. Just as I have found hope and inspiration from your posts, I am certain a zillion other confused and searching souls have as well. Reading and realizing the answers to questions they did not even know to ask. And then:
Still going strong with the sobriety
BTW, this most recent update of yours is my dream realized, come true. My in-progress, best-case-scenario. How big is that?! Thank you so much again for updating. You have no idea how much it helps. Keep going please!
Old 07-04-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

That's awesome, Verte! And hello Nuudawn.

Still going strong. I had a nice sober holiday (though alcohol was everywhere at two parties I attended, and would have been simple to just pour and drink.) I found that being clearheaded (with no danger of a hangover tomorrow) is a wonderful thing! I also have a few little things that happened; one was a few weeks ago. A friend brought alcohol over (sort of without my knowing they would) and while she had some, she did not offer me any or really push at me to have any; it was all good. Now, do you feel put off if someone brings alcho to your house in this way?

Also, I am reconnected with a female friend of mine who does Not drink; she's had about 3 years of sobriety under her belt. I feel that she will be a Great person to talk to about this and just hang out in general.

I am still not drinking, even when with drinkers. My dad brought beer over last week and I just didn't want it. I have gotten to a point where it is not a temptation; I just don't want it.

I should also mention that the friend I mentioned earlier left a bottle of my old favorite drink in my freezer when she left. I honestly have no desire to touch it and of course have not; feels GREAT.

I have also taken up bicycling in the evenings. It helps to give purpose to some of the hours I would have regularly sat and had my drinks. I return feeling rejuvenated and Good, and have started toning my leg muscles as well. Also started swimming (well, I can't swim, but I do a sort of water aerobic) because our apartment has a pool. These two activities are really making my body feel better and giving me a positive feeling and sense of accomplishment!!
Old 07-04-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Good evening Extrahours

Great update. The swimming (aerobics) and bicycling sound like great additions to your life. Also nice to read that you are in touch with friends in general and a sober friend in particular.

Now, do you feel put off if someone brings alcho to your house in this way?
Any drinking in my house really is isolated to my husband and his friends or work related people. The whole issue is like a nagging thought that I can do without but cannot avoid so I just deal. Since becoming sober I have been much less social in my own space...and I'm fine with this for the moment.

I'm finding that almost every social situation needs to be approached with fresh eyes. Without the wine and beer, there is a whole lot of time for talk. As long as I do not sit and stare at the bottles or glasses in everyones hands I think I will be fine. Who knows? Every situation feels like I have just landed in a new country for the very first time.

Way to go with maintaing sobriety and bringing good things to your life. You are an inspiration Please keep updating and filling us in on how things are going.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

Welcome, thank you for sharing.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Great thread, Extrahours. Especially love the updates
Old 07-05-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
This is awesome extrahours!! Doesn't it feel amazing to have taken your life back from the booze?

And this made me laugh...
Originally Posted by LeTheVerte
Every situation feels like I have just landed in a new country for the very first time.
This is exactly how I felt at first when I quit. I didn't realize how small I had made my world. I felt like a kid seeing everything new. Haha!