Notices

And...this is why some people come back to SR....

Old 03-24-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And...this is why some people come back to SR....

A few weeks ago I posted that I was leaving SR.

I was at Day 190 of sobriety and things had been going pretty good. No slips or stumbles. I decided to leave SR because I wanted to try to live my life without thinking so much about alcohol. I had been so closely tied to SR during my sobriety that I wondered if my preoccupation with alcoholism was interfering with my enjoyment of life. I posted about my decision so that people would know that not everybody leaves SR because they have returned to drinking - that some of us leave to move on and try to live happy lives without thinking so much about the grip that alcohol held on us.

So I left. (Kind of. I may have logged in a few times, kind of like the ex-boyfriend that calls after a break-up just to hear the sound of your voice, and then quickly hangs up...)

Well, now I am back. While I was gone, I realized that I was still thinking about alcohol as much as I did before I left. I realized that it wasn't SR that had me thinking so much about alcohol, it was the fact that I am an alcoholic, and have been an alcoholic for 20 years. Like it or not, those reminders of alcohol will apparently be with me for quite some time to come.

I am still sober. No slips or stumbles. But I am back.

And now I have a different question to answer for you. Why do people return to SR after an extended absence? Is it always because they have relapsed? I can offer my own response: I am back because I missed this place. I missed the people. And I missed the camaraderie that can be found only here.

It's good to be back. Did I miss anything good while I was away?
Old 03-24-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back, firstymer. I am coming to the same conclusion; sobriety a life-long endeavor.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome post! Glad you're back first!
Old 03-24-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I have also had a few periods where I stepped away for some of the same reasons you stated. Once I felt more confident in my sobriety, I wanted to come back to get some reinforcement of my decision to stop and offer help to those who are still struggling.

Glad you are back. You just might offer that key bit of info or encouragement to someone that helps them to get sober or make it through a tough situation.

Everyone's opinion counts and is important.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back. I was of the "other" group that stepped away and went back to drinking before coming back again. Either way, I'm glad we're both here as well as everyone else.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm just glad you're back.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Did I miss anything good while I was away?

yeah, we found the cure....but then we lost it! JUST KIDDING! welcome back and with such good stuff!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Can't speak for everyone but, you become friends with people you share your ups and downs cry when they cry and laugh when they laugh.
Humans are social beings for the most part and we do need people.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I was drinking I came here, read what people had to say, and it helped me. And now that I don't drink, hopefully something I've posted has helped someone else who is in a rough spot. And also, I like to run my gums, and people here are too nice to tell me to shut up, so it's kind of like a match made in heaven. Why would anyone leave SR?
Old 03-24-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Hi firstymer,

I am glad your back with us, good decision. I have never read a post of yours until now as I am one that is in and out here and there. Sometimes I stay away for a bit and then miss it desperately. I do not know why but always feel at home here on SR
Old 03-24-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I love the smilie!
SR is such a support for me. Whether I may, in the future, not log on as much, I don't know, but I will never leave, not as long as SR is here for me and for all of us!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I understand your thought process. I have wondered the same.

But, you all have become my biggest confidants, greatest cheerleaders, with wisdom and compassion that I am so grateful for.

I celebrate the triumphs and hurt for the mistakes and have grown to care about ALOT of people here.

Thanks for the great thought provoking thread.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

(((((((welcome back)))))))) xx
Old 03-24-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back, firstymer! I've experienced similar things in a few ways... I first signed up to SR in 2010, made spurious posts between that time and early 2014 but never used SR really constructively. Somehow kept coming back, though, because even in my worst days intuitively felt some kind of connection.

Another version is similar to what you've described. After ~1-1.5 month of sobriety this year, I started thinking I should wean this off... so periods of posting a lot alternating with periods with very few public posts on the boards. The past few days I've been posting a lot again because I feel a little stuck in some ways and this is beneficial; I have the idea that once again there will be a moment, or moments, when I will "find it" and have a burst of progress due to interacting with people on here.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey firstymer - welcome back

I see people come back for all sorts of reasons, not just relapse...basically I think SR is a great place to be for support.

D
Old 03-24-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I left a while back for the same exact reason (tired of the preoccupation) but went right back to drinking. Good to hear you are still sober and welcome back!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to see you firstymer. I know I'd miss many people here if I left. I have 6 yrs. now, so I don't think I'd be tempted if I stopped participating - but who knows? I don't want to risk it - so I'll be signing on every day probably forever. Glad to have you back.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great to have you back!
Old 03-24-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Happy you are back!!!!!