Notices

AA meetings

Old 03-24-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meetings

Hello everyone...I am back and proud to say that I'v been sober since Jan4th. The thing is I still get cravings and an anxiety. I try not to go out and see my friends cause of fear I wouldnt be able to say no to a drink. They noticing that I build some kind a wall. More and more I am thinking to go to AA meeting but so scarred and embarrassed. I heard most of those meetings is man who is attending and that concerns me. So embarrassing for woman to be alcoholic, what if no one will understand me and judge. I understand that man and woman alcoholism is different but I might be wrong. Unfortunately, I dont get a lot of support from family cause they dont believe I have a problem. They think I just have to marry someone and all this will dissappear. I can go without drinking for long period of times but when I do I drink 3 days streight. I know my patterns...holidays and bday hit me hard. My bday is in a month and knowing what can happen, I am scared. Every year the same...drinking for 3 days. I checked websites for woman meetings but coulnt find anything. Any thoughts? Thanks guys for support back in January.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,

I don't know where you live but I think going to an AA mtg is a great idea. There are plenty of both women and men at the meetings I go to. I can assure you that no one will judge you at these meetings. However, some meetings are better than others. I'm sorry you could not find any women's meetings in your area. Try going to maybe 3 or 4 different meetings. Pick the one you feel most comfortable at and go back again! And if you like them all, even better!

Congratulations on your sobriety.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you should give it a shot. Even at mixed meetings you ought to be able to find a group of woman friends who you feel comfortable with.

Good luck, and congrats on your sobriety!