Notices

5 months today

Old 03-23-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 months today

Hey everyone my name is Brian and I'm an alcoholic. On October 24 2013 I walked out of a hospital after needing medical detox due to binge drinking for the third (?) time in my life. I didn't have but a few bucks in my pocket (not enough for the psychoactive med they had prescribed me to deal with the shakes and anxiety associated with alcohol withdrawl) and nowhere to go. I had walked out on my family several days prior in order to continue my binge drinking. At the time I didn't know if it would be the end. I didn't know if that episode were the last drinks I would have in life, I just knew I couldn't continue anymore and if I tried to keep going like I was I wasn't going to have much life left. I was broke and on the street. I didn't want to live and I didn't want to die. I didn't want to drink but like I said I couldn't imagine not drinking. With my head hung low, defeated and soundly thrashed I walked back into the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous. Sorry some of you have heard this part of my story before and I don't want to be redundant. Anyway I went there looking for a man I had spent some time with on a dry spell a couple of years prior. I begged for help, pleaded. The other members related their experience and empathy but made it clear I was going to have to take action on my own. I asked the man I had been looking for to be my sponsor and he accepted. Fast forward 5 months and this is the longest I have been sober since I started using mind altering substances many years ago. It's not been all rainbows, I won't lie. My pink cloud fades and dissipates sometimes. I can tell you on my worst day it's better than it was a year ago. Definitely better than say 5 years ago! I got arrested on my 90th day sober(wreckage of the past- OWI from almost a year ago), I have to deal with lawyers, courts and an angry ex-spouse to see my daughter, my boss knows I am an alcoholic and was contemplating firing me for said OWI, etc. I could go on. But I don't have to drink over that stuff today. And for that I am very grateful. I thank God, my sponsor, my family, this website and the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous for giving me something I never had when I was out there drinking. And that is hope. If there is one thing I would love to give a newcomer that I have gotten from sobriety so far, it would be that hope. Thank you for reading this!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to hear that you're doing well.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats great news to hear, I just hit a week, I hope I stay as strong as you do.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done Brian. It sounds like you're on a the right path. Keep at it.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brian316 View Post
I didn't want to live and I didn't want to die. I didn't want to drink but like I said I couldn't imagine not drinking.
Wow! I could have written these same words! Congratulations on the 5 months. Well done. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Brian316 View Post
Hey everyone my name is Brian and I'm an alcoholic. On October 24 2013 I walked out of a hospital after needing medical detox due to binge drinking for the third (?) time in my life. I didn't have but a few bucks in my pocket (not enough for the psychoactive med they had prescribed me to deal with the shakes and anxiety associated with alcohol withdrawl) and nowhere to go. I had walked out on my family several days prior in order to continue my binge drinking. At the time I didn't know if it would be the end. I didn't know if that episode were the last drinks I would have in life, I just knew I couldn't continue anymore and if I tried to keep going like I was I wasn't going to have much life left. I was broke and on the street. I didn't want to live and I didn't want to die. I didn't want to drink but like I said I couldn't imagine not drinking. With my head hung low, defeated and soundly thrashed I walked back into the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous. Sorry some of you have heard this part of my story before and I don't want to be redundant. Anyway I went there looking for a man I had spent some time with on a dry spell a couple of years prior. I begged for help, pleaded. The other members related their experience and empathy but made it clear I was going to have to take action on my own. I asked the man I had been looking for to be my sponsor and he accepted. Fast forward 5 months and this is the longest I have been sober since I started using mind altering substances many years ago. It's not been all rainbows, I won't lie. My pink cloud fades and dissipates sometimes. I can tell you on my worst day it's better than it was a year ago. Definitely better than say 5 years ago! I got arrested on my 90th day sober(wreckage of the past- OWI from almost a year ago), I have to deal with lawyers, courts and an angry ex-spouse to see my daughter, my boss knows I am an alcoholic and was contemplating firing me for said OWI, etc. I could go on. But I don't have to drink over that stuff today. And for that I am very grateful. I thank God, my sponsor, my family, this website and the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous for giving me something I never had when I was out there drinking. And that is hope. If there is one thing I would love to give a newcomer that I have gotten from sobriety so far, it would be that hope. Thank you for reading this!

That is a powerful message to hammer home many vital points to people like me and many others, well done and 100% respect for all you have accomplished thus far Brian.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on five months sober!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 months!! Your awesome!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations buddy. Keep it up.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great job - 5 months! We know what hard work it was Brian.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 months!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 sober months, Brian; you have accomplished this sobriety under grueling circumstances; I hope that things continue to improve.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I really appreciate it and am truly grateful to be here sober today. Like my sponsor pointed out, when I was drinking I really thought I was cheating life because I could numb myself up and make my problems disappear. But that's not how life works. People go through worse and deal with it fine without picking up a drink or a drug. Unfortunately my consequences have been like a timed release capsule. But I know it won't always be this way and the best things in life aren't easy. As many sober people here will reiterate if one wants change, we have to work for it.Thank you all again for the support and encouragement!!
Old 03-23-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Brian, congrats on 5 months!

It sounds like a hard road and I'm proud of you for sticking with it.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great Job on 5 Months!!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

Fantastic, Brian, five months, congratulations
Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Brian

D
Old 03-23-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Old 03-23-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Congratulations. 5 months is a huge accomplishment.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Congratulations on five months, Brian, and thank you for all you contribute to SoberRecovery.