Notices

A week off work and nervous

Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A week off work and nervous

Hi guys, i managed 8 months sobriety this week and still in AA. Life is good - back in work, talking to family, sleep and just general peace of mind. I must admit though that when i sobered up i did a lot of overtime at work and i mean a lot just to keep myself busy. I work 9-5 in the housing sector and a second casual job supporting people with learning disabilities.
This will be my first week off on holiday from both jobs and i feel a bit nervous about this week having a lot of spare time. When i was on holiday when drinking it would be 7 solid days of drinking.
I need to learn to have a social life and trust myself now. I do have hobbies - football, growing veg and fishing. I must admit i did get a strong alcohol craving today but did not drink. I thought alcohol might give you temporary euphoria but it will come with a really heavy price!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
10/03/2014

I'm there with you and will be watching replies. Was going to post next week and may still. I have all next week off and my kids will be with their dad. It will be a hard, true test. I'm only at 10 days. Thanks for letting me "tag along" on your thread
Old 03-23-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Bobby

Congrats on 8 months

Indeed, it does come with too high a price tag, and really identify with you here...all that space and time...what on earth do I do with it? Not so much a problem anymore, but know that feeling

Helps me if I have a plan for the day (which I may not always follow exactly ) but helps me so much more when I do, even if the plan is relatively simple. One of the things I love about holidays at home is being able to catch lunchtime meetings I normally wouldn't be able to get too, to go to any exhibitions I've noted that I want to see, watch any movies or box sets have been meaning to catch up on, and just relax and be at home, or in the garden.

Time in early sobriety can feel oppressive. It's been good for me to fill it with things I enjoy, grow from, and sometimes stuff that just needs to be done (house maintenance, cleaning...y'know the glam stuff)

Maybe in time, you'll be planning holidays to places you've always wanted to see...

Wish you well, and enjoy that time off
Old 03-23-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that planning ahead will really help.

Do you have odd jobs to do around the house - repairs, painting - the kinds of things that you put off when you're in the work routine? How about going on a day-trip in your area to do some sight-seeing? Maybe you could get together with a friend.

It sounds like you deserve a week off, so I really hope you enjoy it.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hey BigBobby (and Lastchance)!

I understand and sympathize -- in 8 days, my husband leaves town, then I go on a conference (strange town, hotel bars), then I come home to a full week all alone. I'm gritting my teeth just thinking about it!

I do have some advice, which I've used in the past and plan to use this round. It's not foolproof, but it helps:
  1. Tell people in your support network that you might be needing something extra. I have a woman I'm not actually that fond of, but she's an insomniac, and if I need her when I'm alone I know she'll talk to me at 3 a.m.
  2. Break a few other rules. I eat in bed when my husband's away. He would be horrified, but if I'm under the blankets with a bad movie and a bowl of spaghetti, it might get messy, but I'm not drinking.
  3. Stay close to SR, obviously.
  4. Go to AA meetings. Even if you're not in AA, this is not the time to be fussy about what "flavor" of support you like best. Any (sup)port in a storm!
  5. Tie your schedule up with commitments that will keep you out of harm's way until the liquor stores close.
  6. Don't keep any cash on hand. If like me, at the end you had to get sneaky and you don't want bar or liquor stores on your credit card, all booze transactions have to be in cash, and not having any cash puts an extra step between you and the bottle.

I'm sure a lot of other people will have other good ideas. I'll be watching for them, too!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

you have time to do step work!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cheers guys i do have some plans in place. I am planning to spend some time down my allotment pottering around now it is spring and my dad will be helping me out. The boiler man is coming tomo. Have a takeaway with my parents. Watch the football - Preston north end. My bedroom had been painted and new carets so i plan to look around for some pictures because the walls are rather bare.
Yeh i can go to meetings in the afternoon and my sponsor is seeing me wed to do step 5.
Oh a loads of sleep! I had been doing a lot of work to get up to date before i went off.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Look at this as an oppurtunity to get some more meetings in!! I try to do that whenever I have time off, or my kids arent home. Congrats on the 8 months! But dont forget your toolbox!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Friend-

Way back in 15 A.D. the philosopher Seneca once wrote.. "the man who suffers before it is necessary, suffers more than is necessary."

I agree with that statement.

Expectation is one of the greatest impediments to living. In anticipation of tomorrow, we often rob ourselves of, today. Thus, if possible, confine your thoughts to the present. We must never forget that today, and today only, will always be the most important day to remain clean and sober.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 8 months sober!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

8 months is amazing! Your strong and you can do this! Prayers for you!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Remember we're always here if you need us Bobby - have a good break

D
Old 03-23-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just finished a week of vacation, too. Luckily for me I had so many projects lined up and things to do that I honestly didn't think of drinking even once. Life is so hectic sometimes, and we have so many obligations, that taking some time to just be is so important.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Good for you on 8 mths! Enjoy the well deserved break