Notices

red palms

Old 03-21-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

red palms

I quit about 5 weeks ago. i slipped up last weekend and went on a bender. now i'm in AA and doing pretty good. I went to see my doc and she palpated my liver region, said it felt very natural, i looked healthy, had great BP and low body fat (i work out a lot and eat really healthy). But my hands are super red and it worries me a ton. should i see another doc?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I usually consult Dr Google on these small symptoms. Sometimes it gives you enough to stop worrying.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ZocDoc
Labs
Answers
Why are the palms of my hands so red?

Why are the palms of my hands so red?

The palms of both of my hands are really red lately. I also feel like sometimes they are very cold for no reason. Does this mean that there is something wrong with my skin? What about my blood? I just don't know why they would be red AND cold.

I would recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue as soon as possible. They should be able to help you figure out what is going on. Especially in winter months, once of the most common causes of red palms is eczema or excessive skin dryness. In addition to a red discoloration, there are usually other symptoms as well, such as itching or burning of the skin, together with, sometimes, cracking, flaking, or peeling of the outer layer of the skin. If you have these symptoms, then they should resolve with the regular use of a good skin moisturizer. However more persistent cases may require prescription steroid creams, something that your doctor can help you decide about. This could also, potentially, be a circulatory problem, such as something called Raynaud's phenomenon. In this condition, what happens is that the hands when exposed to cold air initially become very white or bluish in color and then turn bright red as blood rushes into the hands. Finally, in a few rare cases, bright red palms may be a sign of a more serious underlying medical problem, such as trouble with the liver. Go see your doctor at your earliest convenience!
Old 03-22-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

See your doctor about this. We cannot diagnose over the internet. And Dr Google is NOT the most reliable "doctor".
Old 03-22-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

After recently looking up red palms for another thread, I think consulting Dr Google about this is about the *worst* thing you could do

If you feel fine, there's nothing else going on and your Dr seems unconcerned there's probably not much cause for worry.

You're entitled to seek a second opinion tho if you're concerned

D
Old 03-22-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Red palms can mean many things , so perhaps see someone who can link the puzzle?
I think you need to concentrate more about the fact you have 5 weeks sober which is fantastic and if your worried about it being a alcohol thing then you've already beaten yourself to the cure!
Fantastic on getting back on the wagon keep going.
John.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had red palms with slightly flaky skin on and off sometimes while I was drinking and tried to consult Dr Google about it, which was a very bad idea because "he" only scared me... In the end I saw a doctor, we figured it out and it resolved quickly. Like others, I also recommend consulting a professional instead of the internet and your imagination

Congrats on 5 weeks!