Notices

Temptation For Wine Tomorrow

Old 03-21-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Temptation For Wine Tomorrow

Only on day 4 here. Have attempted not drinking for a year and a half now and the longest I have gone is 11 days....only because I had the flu and couldn't get out of the house. The miserable part is all the grocery stores in my State sell wine and beer. Has made me feel even less like a alcoholic because I don't ever have to go to a liquor store. Stupid I know. In the past when I have quit for several days and needed to go to the store I would reward myself with a bottle of wine. How stupid...all the delusional things one will do to convince their mind they aren't a alcoholic! Have told myself before because I don't drink every day it's not a problem. How evil comes disguised and I think about wine all the time.
Thought about leaving my ID at home or taking someone with me to the grocery store tomorrow. Any advice or tips would be so appreciated because I am so done with this horrible cycle.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand completely! I have told myself before that I deserved to drink. Crazy. I think having someone with you is an excellent idea. I am just at day Six--I have avoided going to the store, sent someone else for me. I have decided if I need to go, I'm going before 9am, so I can't buy any wine.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was in that cycle. I tried to quit for a long time, too. Heck, I joined here 7 years ago (under a different name) and have been sober three years. Took me awhile.
And, yes, your mind will play tricks on you when it comes to drinking.
I had a really hard time on day four. Felt better, looked better and hey! I'm not an alcoholic, I can drink. This went on for years until my drinking was every day or every other. Often starting with shooters of whiskey at 8am. It's progressive.

Just keep in mind what that first drink will do to you. If you're anything like I was, it'll lead to many more and go on for days.
As for the store I would avoid the liquor and wine area altogether. Get in and get out. Or send someone else.

Best to you and you can do it!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Or send someone else.
Sounds like the best bet if you're scared you can't physically stay out of the alcohol aisle right now ICanDoIt4Them?

D
Old 03-22-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I would write up a list and send someone else for now.

Just me but every time I am slightly apprehensive about something involving alcohol but do it anyway, it seeps into my brain, sometimes days later, even if I resist the urge that moment.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do all of your local stores carry beer and wine? I drive out of my way to a stand alone grocery store -- no adjoining liquor store. Hopefully I won't have to do this forever !!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I understand your cycle. I know about the reward, the reasoning, the "I don't do it everyday..." Those were some good suggestions. I like the idea of going to the store before 9am.

I get tired of the 5 days, 2 weeks, or even a month and then slowly... one here and two there, establish regularity and then one night shortly after BAM! Out of control. And then start over.

Hang in there. You can do this. I want it for you and all of us as much as I want it for myself. Positive thoughts and energy coming your way.