Notices

Pain meds and sobriety

Old 03-21-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Pain meds and sobriety

I've worked hard, overtime, time and a half and double time infact over the last six months getting myself sober. Really sober.

Pills were never my thing. Hate them in fact. Vehemently abhor them.

But I will be forced to take them very soon after a upcoming surgery. One of those things where they put you on a self administered morphine drip.

YUCK.

I can't help to think, all of the work I have done in detoxing and purifying my system will be shot to sh1t in a few weeks.

And that is both scaring the snot out of me as well as making me really really angry.

I wont have a choice regardless of how much deep breathing I do to try to ameliorate the pain.

Sadface.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does your doctor know about your recovery? Do you have a sponsor? I would be worried too. Maybe you take taper off the morphine drip before you discharged and put on a NSAID. I am not in the medical field so I don't know. I definitely would be talking and asking questions. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your work over the last few months will in no way be wiped out. IMO if you have to take pain meds prescribed by your doc after an op for a genuine reason this is fine and in no way compromises your sobriety.

If you are concerned about becoming dependant and abusing the meds then this is different .I agree speaking to your doc is a good idea-maybe they can gve you low dose or non dependant meds?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Alpha,
I have a very low tolerance for pain……perhaps because I never had any children?
I have had a couple of surgeries since I became sober that required pain medicine. I found that if I took the medicine exactly as prescribed and for no longer than absolutely necessary I was fine….the addict voice was not re-animated.
Complete and ruthless honesty within myself was most definitely required.

Good luck, I know you can do this!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had hip replacement several yrs. ago
which is major surgery. Prior to surgery
all my physcians were aware of my recovery
and sobriety and how important it is me
and that if meds was to be administered
to make sure they weren't habit forming
nor narcotic.

We are all taken care of in the hospital
and cared for while recoverying from major
surgery. They know exactly what to do in
caring for us and helping us recovery as
quickly as possible.

There is no need to be in so much pain
after surgery, so the drips are set in place
to use as needed. I tried to tolerate pain
as much as I could, but the pain meds had
to be taken for all the right reasons.

Once I was released, I kept in touch with
my physician and continued to remind him
that I did not want anything for pain that
was habit forming or narcotic.

With his help, I healed properly and my
sobriety is still in tact.

I use my AA recovery to learn how to
remain sober building a strong foundation
to live upon each day.

I use my doctors or physicians for medical
problems working honestly with them to
insure my recovery is healthy.

You'll be fine as long as you have your
recovery program at the top of the list
and priority.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I dont think there is anyway that you will not need meds after this surgery. You will not lose your sobriety. There is a time and place for meds AO. I wish you a speedy recovery and know that i am here for you.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You all know what I'm thinking right ....?

My sobriety has been on my terms. I held the key.

Now that choice is being removed.

I might as well get plastered. What's the difference ? There goes the tiny modicum of control that I had.

(((I'm SO not proud of this admission)))
Old 03-21-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
I wont have a choice regardless of how much deep breathing I do to try to ameliorate the pain.
I don't know what your op is but sometimes they can give you the option of going onto a paracetamol drip instead?

Just a thought.

But hey don't be angry. It's just a "regular" painkiller that "regular" people have when they go to hospital. I have experienced this but didn't come out wanting more like I want more alcohol so although we aren't "regular" people it had no effect on me. I'm equally abhorred by drugs of this nature.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't understand why you are feeling so angry. You're going to have major surgery. There is no need to suffer in pain because you're an alcoholic.

As others have said, talk to your dr and work something out. If you are using the morphine pump, maybe you can work out a time limit with the dr that you both feel comfortable with.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I might as well get plastered. What's the difference ? There goes the tiny modicum of control that I had.
Challenge that AV of yours Alpha! It ISN'T alcohol and you AREN'T addicted. You STILL have control and you will continue to have control after the event.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

So, you now think because you need pain medication after surgery that you should go out and get drunk? That makes no sense at all.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AO - not sure if you remember my knee surgery...I get this exactly. I went through the same thing. My sobriety up till that point was perfect. I told my doc I was an addict and did not want any pain killers. He gave them to me anyhow. I wrestled with the mental anguish of whether my mind was playing tricks too. Do I really need a pill or is my mind playing tricks?

I was never an opiate guy, cocaine, booze, Ritalin, ecstasy, those were my vices. But anyhow, I was terrified and I was thinking, "well if I tarnish my sobriety why not go all the way?" Why am I trying to stay sober when life throws this curveball and I won't be sober.

This is really where having a higher power can come in handy. First, when you take pain meds and are in pain you don't get high. This is fact, not a rationalization. So you are in fact sober, as long as you are taking as prescribed and not any more.

Second, as alcoholics and addicts we tend to live in black and white and avoid the gray. But the World is gray. Living through this experience will teach you to live in the gray...you don't have to be perfect bc life is not perfect. Your sobriety can still be intact without being a martyr.

You are going to have to figure this stuff out for yourself if your like me. I posted about this non stop - had one member tell he was sick of hearing about it but I had to work it through in my head. This was my experience after coming through it successfully.

BTW - I was fine without until I tripped over a Lego and had to take 2 1/2 Oxy pills - I threw out the other 35. Went to Advil a bit quick but I was okay. You will be too.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
So, you now think because you need pain medication after surgery that you should go out and get drunk? That makes no sense at all.
Right ?!?!

It does when your damn AV is driving the bus...
Old 03-21-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If someone wants to get blotto, any 'ol reason will do.

When I had life saving surgery several years ago my doctors had all my morphine delivered by way of an epidural so there was no chance of me feeling high from any of it.

If you think you are going to drink again and you can't kick your AV's azz back down then maybe you need to find a real life person to talk to about what's going on in that noggin of yours.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Second, as alcoholics and addicts we tend to live in black and white and avoid the gray. But the World is gray. Living through this experience will teach you to live in the gray...you don't have to be perfect bc life is not perfect. Your sobriety can still be intact without being a martyr.
JD has said it much better than I did. Don't let your AV make you a martyr!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Right ?!?!

Get off the bus then Though technically you haven't got back on it and there is no reason why you should.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
a bit out there

Seriously, what good would drinking do?
Old 03-21-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Jus
A Little Wingy

Right ?!?!

You're the one driving the bus. You're doing so good, why would you even think about making that choice.

I'm a couple days ahead of you, on our list. You need to keep moving forward, to help push me ahead. Just like the one's behind you.

I hope you know how SAD this will make me feel if you CHOOSE......yes CHOOSE to make a choice, you will regret.

Now fasten your seat belt, roll those sleeves up, you've got some work to do.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

It would be great if all of us never had to use drugs again - but for those of us who deal with pain, that's sometimes simply not an option.

If you're on a self administered drip that sounds to me like you're still in the drivers seat.

It's natural to be scared & for that fear to manifest itself as anger - but you've blazed a trail for the last 6 months...I have confidence in you that you can continue to blaze

It's a little unclear to me but if you haven't bought this up with your Dr, do.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-21-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you're on a self administered drip that sounds to me like you're still in the drivers seat.
My thoughts exactly. I know I would be nervous if that were me, alpha - given control of morphine, I'd probably mis-use the substance. Or at least...the old me would have.

And maybe you are just a little nervous that part of the "old you" will return when you get control of that button? It's natural to be worried, but maybe you don't need to worry. You've got nothing more to prove to us - you can do it. Have some confidence! It will be okay.