Notices

What do you do to get yourself out of a pity party ?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

What do you do to get yourself out of a pity party ?

Besides drinking of course.

I'm catching myself starting to plan a slip.
Need. Guidance.
XO AO
Old 03-21-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Meditate? Therapy always works - I come back feeling refreshed. Watching my kids enjoy life innocently and fully. Sometimes reading. Run in the woods, mountain biking, skiing, basically anything to do with nature where I realize how insignificant I am in the grand scheme of things and how amazing mother nature is.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I give myself a reiki healing treatment or get a friend to give me one.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me it's as simple as moving - not necessarily sports or exercise (though that works the best for me), but being productive, doing the chores I've been putting off, working outside... feeling productive... sometimes though it's good to feel needed or helpful... I've taken my mom to lunch out of the blue, offered to help my grandma with the chores I know she can't do (mow lawn or move stuff in garage).... always makes me feel better when I get home to know I accomplished something during the day...
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Be of service to others in need. With those selfless experiences will come from within how importantly we all live and play together when we make up our minds to be positively involved.

The other thing is pity parties invite more misery, and so the sooner you can call time out the better you'll be feeling. Any positive action taken will work as good as any other in ending the trip to no-wheres-ville.

Anything you want to share?
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Music, walking...those usually work for me.

I hope you feel better, AO.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post

Need. Guidance.
from my past I know
once I start to plan a slip it won't be long
before the liquid devil appears in my hand

we should only entertain the thoughts that we know to be good for us
this just takes practice -- it's not that hard

simple -- it's all about what I do or don't do -- simple

a man (woman) is what they thinkith
when I think for a period of time regarding drinking again
I end up drunk -- in time -- every time

MM
Old 03-21-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I relate to jdooner's post here. Don't have kids but I do have students and other more junior people to care for and supervise and while during my drinking times these were more a painful chore at times, I'm enjoying it better and better now sober. It does help with self pity parties a lot because you focus attention to other people and other problems outside of yours.

I also tend to find a lot of joy in nature so now spring coming I plan to connect with it more. Same for my physicality... this is something I do tend to neglect, so even small things like a walk, a yoga or cardio session at the gym (which I really need to push because I'm seriously up and down with it), sex, or even long neglected doctor appointments can be rewarding in small ways.

I also have a tendency to being self-absorbed, so am looking into volunteer opportunities.

In summary: action! Not just planning it and thinking of it, but doing it! Challenging enough for me. I also tend to think of myself sometimes as insignificant... but thinking further will never truly relieve it... only actions do for me.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering

I slow down and take a break. A slow relaxed walk, or a slow cup of tea (I'm English) in a cafe watching the world go by. I'm quite religious so sometimes I take myself off for a day's retreat at a local abbey (though quite of lot of that 'retreat' is spent simply drinking tea and watching the world go by).

Be kind to yourself. Be gentle with yourself. Be patient with yourself.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Realizing and recognizing your feelings is a positive thing, I have learned, finally, I don't have to act on a thought. You are here and posting, that is a step away from the drink. Don't drink today, push the thought away each time it arises. Take care
Old 03-21-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All of the above are excellent ideas! I have another...watch a movie or read a book about alcohol addiction. I just finished the "Good House" by Ann Leary...there are many other good books and a ton of movies. They get you out of yourself and remind you how ugly the addiction really is. Here's a British movie you can rent from Netflix "A day at the Beach"...not many have heard of it but I sure was glad I wasn't drinking anymore after I saw it.

Hang in there!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by apophylite View Post
I give myself a reiki healing treatment or get a friend to give me one.
Can you do those remotely ?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I get dressed up and I go out. Last week I was in a terrible state, so this week we left the house (my toddler and I) and I actually did my hair and visited some friends. Being stuck in the house to think and think about things tends to make things worse. I find being around people I love and haven't caught up with for a while helps. So sorry you're down Alpha. Hope you feel better. xo
Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I swear there is something in the air right now AO.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh Alpha, there are videos on youtube about reiki that you can do yourself.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Could be PAWS.

I was fatigued with recovery at around the same time sober you have. Which meant my addiction was looking for a crack in my armour. For me it was anger and rage. For you, a pity party.

One, I had to bolster my recovery. Not so much as you'd think. Just picked up the slack.

Two, knowing it was post acute withdrawals, I could easier accept how I felt and how it didn't necessarily mean I was going to relapse, just that the risk was there. That I wasn't going crazy or going to drink. It caught me unawares, but not for long.

Third, that having down days and wanting to wallow in a little self pity isn't the exclusive right of alcoholics. Non-alcoholics feel that way too. And it passes.

You've been doing wonderfully, don't succumb now.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Be of service to others in need. With those selfless experiences will come from within how importantly we all live and play together when we make up our minds to be positively involved.

The other thing is pity parties invite more misery, and so the sooner you can call time out the better you'll be feeling. Any positive action taken will work as good as any other in ending the trip to no-wheres-ville.

Anything you want to share?
Physically I'm feeling very unwell. I had a couple of really good days last week for which I am beyond greatful. But my symptoms and upcoming surgery have me forlorn the last few days. I'm so weary.

It's true. You really having nothing if you don't have decent health.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Besides drinking of course.

Need. Guidance.
XO AO

Lots of things you can do besides do the usual, drinking.
Go to the homeless shelters, handout some food.
Go to a hospital meeting.
Volunteer at an old-age home.
Go to skid row of your community and handout dollar-store gloves, socks, underwear, shades, shampoo, soap etc.
Talk to friends
Talk to family
Call a hot-line of some sorts
Go to a movie
Go to a restaraunt
Ride a bicycle
Go swimming
Work Out helps a lot
Pray and meditate
Climb to the top of a mountain
Go to a church
Talk to the priest
Talk to strangers
Volunteer at Make A Wish Foundation
Be a Big Brother or Big Sister
Go to a prison meeting, if you can
Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Physically I'm feeling very unwell. I had a couple of really good days last week for which I am beyond greatful. But my symptoms and upcoming surgery have me forlorn the last few days. I'm so weary.

It's true. Yu really having nothing if you don't have decent health.
I am sorry Alpha...I know what you mean. Not to trivialize the surgery, I have had my fair share but I get the impending doom feeling every time I am going away and just dread packing. I feel this same way going into surgery - again just how I relate.

What about writing. I am writing my own memoir for my own purposes and I am finding the process so cathartic. I now get why people keep a diary. The reflection seems so therapeutic. This you can do from your bed or sofa if you are not well or feel drained going into surgery.

Sending positive energy your way
Old 03-21-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm reading a great book right now called "Mindful Recovery: A Spiritual Path to Healing from Addiction," by Thomas and Beverly Bien. You could download it. Sort of applies Buddhist principles for living to the recovery journey. Lots of great ideas and exercises there for creating a positive mindset, appreciating life, and pulling out of a place of self-pity.