Notices

A pair of scissors and a bong

Old 03-21-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Be More, Do More

A pair of scissors and a bong

What's Happening? I always believed weed wasn't really much a drug, and I still wouldn't say its all thaaat bad for you, and health wise I'm certain its not.. Its the first thing I do in the morning and the last thing I do at night. But a few months ago iv been wanting to stop(after 2-3 years of daily toking) AND I JUST CANT!. Iv never had anything against pot as it has brought me through hard times and when I was 17-18 it made me realize things like I need to work harder to get into a good college and stuff like that(obviously I did more thinking then actual working) but nevertheless I'm now in a great university with opportunity in becoming someone better and for a long time I believe that weed is some sorta miracle plant given to us by god.

Anyway my perspective of weed started changing when I would find myself driving to ghetto towns to find regs if my delears not available till tonyt or tomorro, or jus wanting the day to be over so I can come home to get high(even missing my lectures).. after reflecting back iv come to realize that this beautiful herb iv grown to love more than anything has taken control of my life and its on my mind both day and night, o sweet marijane . And I find the days I don't take a hit in the morning is my best working days, which is obvious as I do advanced mathematics and physics.

It keeps me trapped I know it, it doesn't happen overnight but sooner or later u realize all you do with your days is get high, and get nowhere(with relationships as well). I jus want more in life than ending up 45 years old still smoking pot like cheech & Chong. But its really hard cos when times are tough weed is so easy to escape too. Iv done harder drugs under gods blue sun but never allowed myself to get addicted because I knew how bad those addictions can be after having an older sibling who walked that line. But weed came in appearing harmless but now I find my happiest place is in front of my computer with a scissors and a bong.

Well I threw my bong and dank away today cause enough is enough! This is my first time ever writing on a thread, sorry its so long. Can't wait to see how you guys can relate or support?

I Really hope I don't buy again

Old 03-21-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Enlightenme

I smoked weed daily for decades - to me it really was 'that bad'...it's as bad as anything else I got hooked on and just as hard to walk away from. It's a very easy drug to romance and and to downplay it's effects.

Any substance that you love more than anything else and that you risk life and limb and reputation to get more of - that's not a healthy relationship and it needs to stop.

I know you'll find a lot of support here. SR helped me stay clean. I know you can find that help too.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-21-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Welcome Enlightenme
Old 03-21-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the community! Sounds like our stories are similar, I too enjoyed weed when I was in college, but looking back, there is no question it held me back and lowered my ambition and achievements. I also believe it paved the way for my eventual alcoholism, by setting up the expectation that I can deal with my insecurity and fear by taking something and it will be fixed.

Quit now while you are still young and have your options before you. Embrace a sober, exciting life filled with real adventures and accomplishments, not hoped for or imagined ones. I wish you well in your journey!
Old 03-21-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision while being so young. You can do this. Even if you get grumpy, it will pass.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello, Enlightenme!! Welcome!

I smoked pot daily for years. Like you, I loved marijuana, thought it was not so bad, and so on. Turns out that marijuana is a far more dangerous drug than it appears to be, and we only discover when we try to stop.

Quitting is the way to go, no doubt about that. If hemp has any good effect, these affects are long gone. After a while, what remains is the addiction, the anxiety, the "prison". The sooner you quit, the less you'll suffer.

My opinion, buddy. Great call on "enough is enough". Congratulations!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by Enlightenme View Post
...but now I find my happiest place is in front of my computer with a scissors and a bong.
Pretty sad when you think about it. With all the things one can do in this world, stoned in front of a computer makes you the happiest. Just proof how strong the grip of this drug is.

You'll find real happiness when you are straight.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

Your comments make perfect sense to me, Enlightenme.

With all my years of sobriety (about twenty eight out of the past thirty one years), with destroying my life at least two times during my drinking escapades, a large part of me seems to have believed that smoking pot is okay. I had a long and intense romance with weed in my younger years, and I thought it silly that people went to rehab to help them stop smoking. My personal experience has been that when I smoke pot regularly, I either cut way down on my drinking or stop drinking altogether (once for more than a year), without the nasty consequences of early sobriety and without much effort. And that part of me also looked forward to the legalization of marijuana in New York (at least medically) so that I could get high with (legal) impunity.

Then I found SR. After becoming familiar with Dee's story and other people here who lived the nightmare of addiction to pot, I can no longer entertain the likelihood that I can get high without worries or consequences. I can easily afford it and know where I can get it, yet I don't. I've thought about it on a few occasions, but the healthier part of me tells me that there's danger in my thinking, and that I don't need to change my reality since it's a reality that -- through lots of hard work, making amends and soul-searching -- I don't want or need to leave.

What I'm describing has not been an ongoing battle for me if only because I didn't allow it to get there. I cannot honestly say that I will never get high again, but as long as I continue to take care of myself in the ways that keep me sober, that give me a life worth living, it will never be an issue. There simply is no longer a place for it in my life.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think weed can be seen as one of the less damaging drugs but really because of that it is more insidious. It's like smoking, people see/saw it as relatively harmless and socially acceptable but it kills more people than probably all the other addictive drugs altogether. Any addiction is going to be damaging, that's the nature of the beast, and just because cannabis isn't going to kill you or cause other problems associated with other drugs doesn't mean it isn't personally damaging. I think it's 'harmless' nature is down to it's lack of an association with crime (again, in comparison to other drugs). Most attention is usually given to crime reduction rather than helping individuals. Fortunately helping individuals is what SR is here for so welcome x
Old 03-21-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I quit toking over 3 years ago now. I loved the way that getting high made me feel and altered my perceptions. I was 23 when I quit, I started toking at 19 and had been using daily for about 3 years, I guess a part of me decided that I wanted to grow up and become responsible. I toked every day as often as I could. My entire social life revolved around joints and bong hits. One day my reasons to quit became more important than my reasons to continue. I tried just stopping for that one day, and then the next one, and the next one. The first week was rough, I couldn’t sleep, I didn’t have much of an appetite and felt nauseous a lot.

Also, I started hanging out with a new group of people that I knew would’ve disapproved of my illegal habit much more often. I joined a church choir with these really nice people and I was motivated to stay away from smoking because I knew it would impact the quality of my voice. I applied for college and began working towards that new goal. I also put some distance between myself, my dealer, and everyone else that I toked with. I didn’t tell anyone that I was quitting because I was afraid of failing, even though I talked about quitting for years off and on, when I was ready to do it I knew that it was up to me and I didn’t need anyone else’s input on the matter. I kept 0.5g of weed and all my bongs and paraphernalia in my bedroom closet for over a year as a reminder that I could always go back to it if I felt I needed to and it was my choice to stop the cycle.

These days I am free from the burden of participating in mind-altering, illegal activities and that is a wonderful feeling. I am also able to feel good without drugs and that is pretty amazing too. I can get through challenging times in my life and rise to any occasion without getting high. In retrospect, smoking weed was very isolating, the people that I smoked with were not really my friends, we were simply companions on a mutual path towards self-destruction. Today I can follow them on facebook and see that they are in the same place they were 3 years ago, still running from their problems with a pipe in their hands. Some of them, actually more than I care to think about have lost their children, jobs, and homes. A lot of them are also stuck in toxic relationships that they go in and out of but never seem to get away from for very long, no matter how many times they get abused.

In the past 3 years, I lost my mother and I have had to take on a more active role in my family and become stronger for them. I have graduated from college and I am about to start my career in a field I chose. I haven’t lost my home, I have more real friends in my life, I am closer to my family, in a relationship with a man that respects me, I have restored my credit rating, I have had the opportunity to do some travelling, and I am not afraid of my feelings, good or bad anymore.

I hope that sharing my story has helped you a bit. I am really proud that I have been away from weed for this long. I wish you the best on your journey. You deserve to be free!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A long time ago when I was in college I smoked a lot of pot. As I was paying my way through college I was pretty serious about doing well, and seeing as how pot was illegal I gave it up and started drinking more instead.

I haven't smoked pot since 1980. Alcohol however is a different story. I basically replaced my dependence on one substance with another. I thought I was improving because alcohol was legal and socially acceptable in virtually every setting.

The problem was, it didn't matter if I got high or got drunk, I was still "me. " I had to learn some new behaviors and develop some new life coping strategies in order to live life with out substance abuse.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Looks like this thread is from a while ago but I thought I'd say hi anyway. I quit weed and it was hard. I felt like I couldn't do it but I basically spent all the time I was craving it and biting my nails on SR, reading, posting, avoiding weed and people who had it. After a couple weeks the cravings went away, then the withdrawal symptoms went away and now I'm starting to get some energy and motivation back. It's day 28, although over two months since I started quitting (day 1 happened a few times). I'd been smoking for a long time and I had just about all the withdrawal symptoms you can get, the worst being anxiety attacks and depression, felt like I'd never be happy again and there was not much to live for. Obviously there is a lot to live for but my mind was so messed up when it was readjusting. Now I'm feeling really positive about not smoking weed. I really do wonder what I was thinking when I thought I NEEDED it! That's the strangest thing, I can't believe I thought I needed it when it's so obvious now that I never did. Hard to think logical thoughts when you're clouded all day and don't even realize how clouded you really are.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations WB!!!

I quit weed (and alcohol) too, today is day 53 for me!!!

Let's stick together and quit for good!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Totally into quitting for good, Brazilian! I've smoked all the weed I need to in my whole life. Nothing new to discover in getting stoned. The new, refreshing and exciting stuff is all in being sober now.

And well done on your success Brazilian, that's a long time sober. I'm right behind you.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

great let's do this