Notices

I was arrested probably for second dui

Old 03-20-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was arrested probably for second dui

I was arrested for possession of weed, paraphernalia, and failed a field sobriety test this past Friday. I haven't received anything in the mail yet, but I am terrified. I haven't used since, but I don't know what I am going to do. I was sober for about 14 months, but I went back out and started drinking and smoking again. I am unemployed. I just got out of rehab in November after 11 months. My unemployment will run out soon. I am going to meetings and seeking counseling but I am terrified that I will never have a normal life after this. I have a degree. I used to have good jobs, but since rehab I have felt absolutely useless and powerless. It was basically like being locked away from the outside world for a year. I picked up again because I was scared of the future, and now it is bleaker than ever. I accept that I am an addict. I accept that I am an alcoholic. I am doing everything I can to stay sober, but I don't know how I am going to survive after this. I don't know how I am ever going to have a job that I can support myself with. I don't know how to explain how I haven't worked since 2012. I am a terrible liar. I never thought my life would be like this. I never thought that this would happen again after the hell I went through the first time around, yet here I am again, even more screwed. I am not afraid to go to jail. I am COMPLETELY terrified of being able to support myself once the poop hits the fan. I know I deserve this. I will not blame anyone for this happening but myself. I just want to know if there is life after another DUI. If a career is possible with a record. This is definately a wake up call for me. I am not playing the shoulda coulda wouldas. I am trying to accept responsibility for my actions, and trying to move past it and get on with my life. Today I am clean and for that I am grateful, but I still feel frozen with fear.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR MCViking.

I don't have experience with DUIs but I am sure someone will be along shortly with some answers.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi mcviking, welcome to SR. I don't know what the future holds for you, but i know it will be better for being clean and sober.
Maybe this is the time in your life when you get to choose your way. Be brave.
You can always come to SR for support. There are lots of people here who've been through worse and come back.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In most states they have up to a year to file
I waited once around
two months before mine came in the mail
yes life goes on after this
but I wouldn't want to get another one
MM
Old 03-20-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi mcviking,

You sound like your overwhelming yourself with fear. Ive been in jail 4 times..2 duis,2 drunk in publics, and got beat up by a cop. Ive learned you got to tackle one problem at a time. Number 1... Stay clean and sober. All your other worriers will work themselves out and you will be fine. Try to live more in the moment rather than worring about the future or regreting the past. I know its easy to say but if you really do it you will see a drastic change. You will probably get 3 yrs probation and have to pay a lot in fines and do drug class for 6 months.....just make sure you do everything and get pass this. These are misderminors not felonies...employeers dont really look at these. Just stop now because things will only progress more if you dont stop....if your in an accident loaded then you are really screwed....that is a felony.
Good luck to you
Old 03-20-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome mcviking. I never had a DUI conviction, but you'll hear from a lot of folks who have.

There's definitely life after a DUI -I hope you'll decide to stay clean and sober tho...the only thing worse than getting 2 DUIs is getting 3.

D
Old 03-21-2014, 12:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've had two DUI's and nearly a third that would have been prison for me if it had stuck. Looking back on that, how blessed I was....

Listen; your future is not bleak. Your future is a lot longer pathway than you feel it is right now. Is there life after two DUIs? Well I have a pretty strong career and a great income and am respected in my work and community despite my DUIs. Your life isn't over.

Will you have to deal with the echoes of this for a while? Yes. In the past couple years I've been denied the ability to work with certain charities, denied certain rights afforded others by my country, denied access to Canada even.... but all of those things are small stuff. Frustrating, but small. In the grand scheme of things and in this life's journey; what you will have to endure as a consequence for this is going to be challenging - but if you open yourself to the challenge and remain firmly rooted in your sobriety what you're going to find is that this is a time that is changing your future for the BETTER.

So much for the better.

The course you've been on was in fact the course of the bleak future.

NOW you have the blessed opportunity to make it vastly more rewarding and beautiful.

A lot of good people have been where you are, and went on to have lives that were meaningful, productive and deeply rewarding. I'm one of them.

What is most important is not what you've done - it's what you do NOW.

Hang in there, keep posting, keep working your sobriety - harder than ever - and this WILL be a point in your past that you will look upon with Gratitude.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope the support here helps you to get sober for good.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've had two D.U.I.s...and still drank...which kept me miserable and in pain.When I finally surrendered is when I became free.Only through A.A. and with the unconditional support and love from other alcoholhics!Life has never been better for me and my girls.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No one can help you, but you with regard to the drinking problem.

But, you can certainly do something about the other issues. I doubt you are going to suffer too much from a second dui. But if you get a third, in many states it is a felony. Don't post stuff online regarding your criminal case!

1. Quit drinking and driving. I can understand having to drink if you're an alcoholic, but there is zero excuse for drinking and driving. Call a taxi, call a friend or walk!

2. You're about to lose unemployment? Why? How long have you been unemployed? Unemployment is meant to give you a cushion during hard times, not to live off. I assume you live in the US. Why don't you pack up your stuff (after checking with your court) and move to texas? You have no idea how many oilfield jobs there are. Unbelievable paying jobs with a future. In west texas fast food employees are being paid unbelievable wages because of the economy. Clearly there is nothing where you live if you can't find a job after that long.

3. Quit smoking pot. All the pot legalization folks say pot is nonaddictive, so just quit doing it.

I wish you the best of luck.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your life will not always be in this shape if you take the necessary steps to get it back on track. Any job is a job. We are never too good to work anywhere. Keep going to the meetings and keep moving in the direction that gives positive results. There is life after a DUI. It may take some time for you to see life moving in the direction that you want, but with enough perseverance and time you can make anything happen. We are here for you.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have one DUI and I know people who have two as well and they have careers and are doing well. I know it sucks but you will get through it but you have to stop drinking and smoking. There is nothing in that. Its going to be a struggle but it sooo worth it. Hang in there.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome mcviking. I hope being here will help ease your anxiety a little. I'm very glad you're clean right now.

I've had back-to-back dui's - one day apart. I can't believe I ever behaved in such an insane way. You can rise above this scary time in your life - you can turn it all around. I hope you'll stay here and keep talking to us.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I appreciate the support guys thank you. So far meetings are what is keeping me sane. I am still clean and sober. I am taking it one day at a time. I just have to trust that I will find some work and do what I need to do. Going to meetings makes me feel a part of something. I can't do this alone. I found a sponser and I am pushing myself out of bed everyday. Doing my best to stay in the now. I have to believe this happened for a reason. I was slipping down again, and at least no one got hurt.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey MCViking,

I don't post very much on the forum mainly because I'm not even sure my stuff contributes to what people are saying. However, I read your story and saw myself in it. The good news is for you is that I was worse.

A little quick background about myself. I have two degrees, but I was always given stuff to me and I never earned it myself. This quickly turned against me, because I never had to work for anything. Simply put, I was spoiled. My addictions came quick, and the consequences accumulated. I was always bailed out by my parents, but no one in my family has ever had addictions issues except me, so they had no idea what to do. I am now 30 years old, but I would say that my entire 20's was wasted on drinking and drugs. I managed to get 3 DUIs under my belt, and I have a misdemeanor theft for trying to steal alcohol while intoxicated. What I would do if I could just go back in time, and actually listen to the first time someone told me that I have a problem. What's done is done, but it does haunt me still because it will always be on my record.

All your fears and emotions are real. I went through them. I think a lot of people on here go through them as well. With TIME, things will settle down, and it will become less of a burden. Some days will be easier and some days will be harder. There is no doubt that you will probably have consequences for the second DUI, however, not trying to get your hopes up, they aren't usually as bad as we think they will be. Being sober, going to AA meetings will help a lot during this process. It will show the judge that you are accepting your problems, and you are trying to get better.

Things will get better. I thought I would never be employable because of my background. I am not trying to brag or anything of such sort, but I landed a job at one of Forbes top 10 places to work. EVEN WITH MY RECORD, they hired me. It was a very stressful time going through the interviews, but I was completely honest with my background check, and I even wrote several pages explaining my record. I was really surprised the whole honesty worked, because as an addict/alcoholic, i'm so used to manipulation and lying.

I hope this really gives you some hope and inspiration that you can come out of this. It really is up to you on how your life will turn out. I can guarantee you that continuing drinking/using will only delay or make things worse. If you have slips during the process, it's okay. I did too. I wish you the best, and keep us update on your situation. Being that a lot of us have gone through the same things, we might be able to point you in the right direction.