Notices

I believe - sober weekend thread 3/21-23

Old 03-22-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Nons ,
i'd make old man noises by the wall partition , bit o' tooth sucking , lip smacking , dry whistle through ya teeth , throw in a yes siree if you feel outré , maybe blow some nice long raspberries . i dunno if it might cool the ardour of other hotel guests but it might be a fun way to spend an hour and show that AV what for .

Everyone,
saturday morning here on sober beach , turn right at lake woebegone and its just along the sober highway . Living can be easier and more glorious on the beach than out of your depth in that water , nice to see people coming into shore all the time

Sometimes i used to ask "why me ?" if i think at all like the now i ask "why not me ? " i'm one in 7,222,000,000 people in the world, why should i expect or deserve good things before any of those other 7 billion . . i have food , power , heat , a job , opportunity , a bathroom and toilet , hot and cold running water, friends and some people who love me .

Today now thinking on that i feel like the richest man around

Have a good day you lucky people . m
Old 03-22-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Up too early. Missing my on bed. Time to get my caffeine on!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

M.... I think non missed that.

Good morning... Off to the gym and then back to move furniture from room to room.

I plan on doing 20,000 steps today on my fitbit plan. That's over ten miles but I can do it.

How about a check in? How are the newcomers doing?

Good or bad this is not a hiding contest. This is your supportive and caring digital friends!

K
Old 03-22-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nate1985 View Post
Had the self control to leave, got to hang out with the neighbors, and I'll even get to remember what happened (which is probably the best part).
Thats just brilliant Nate!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:44 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Congrats to everyone who put themselves first on Friday!

Nate you are awesome for that!

K
Old 03-22-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Originally Posted by serenitynowplz View Post
Thanks for posting. This is my second sober weekend and its also my birthday which could make it more difficult, but I know that alcohol is only a problem if I CHOOSE to drink it. And it is my choice. I have the power to choose.
Happy birthday Serenitynowplz x
Old 03-22-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

the sun is shining in london town and the clouds are in the sky , so what better thing to do than catch a train to the south coast ?

chooo chooo i'm off for a mystery train adventure down to the seaside with mex-m8 there will be pebbles , sand , waves , wind , and being englands' south coast, nice shops selling tea and scones . There will be some purposefully walking somewhere and then back again and a nice sit down somewhere out of the wind …

Huurahhh !
bye soberinos catch ya later m
Old 03-22-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

When shopping at a grocery store we have a general perception that most products we pick from the shelf is natural and safe for our health. However, most items we purchase are not even close to being healthy despite the “all natural” labeling. Many of these products are either devoid of nutrients and/or contain ingredients which are toxic to our cells. Honey is no different.

We may presume that by shopping at a well-known chain grocery store it is offering good quality food; but this is where we would be false in our assumption. Nowadays, there is a big question mark on the genuineness of not only the whole foods which we purchase, but the food ingredients such as cinnamon, saffron, honey, etc.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Interesting post, Ken - thank you. Cognitive dissonance is a phenomenon I've been very interested in for a while, in part for reasons you have brought up in the OP and in part regarding how we generally make decisions and progress (any kind). Like you said there is a lot of information out there; I just thought this page might be an interesting read for some in the context of our struggles and recovery:
Cognitive Dissonance in Addiction and Recovery

Have a great sober weekend everyone!
Old 03-22-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thank haennie! I will take a look. Most people call the voice doing the talking when we swap out beliefs is our addictive voice. I certainly do but I thought I would explore that a bit.

So.... Back from gym... Moving furniture around.... Living on the edge.... Removing tags from mattresses and pillows... Feeling dangerous...and over 7500 steps so far today on my way to 20,000.

Stay strong. Stay sober.

Ken
Old 03-22-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post

How about a check in? How are the newcomers doing?

Good or bad this is not a hiding contest. This is your supportive and caring digital friends!

K
I'm hanging in there Weasel1966. 9.10pm on Day 1. Thanks for being so supportive.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Check in- Wife is out of town for the weekend, and had my first (solo) sober friday night in years. Cooked a nice little dinner, watched a movie, talked to wife on phone at 8 (never would have picked up before), had a snack, cruised around here for a while and turned in. It was fun stopping at the market on the way home and walking right by the booze, that was usually a key part to a weekend bender. Unbelievable how much time I used to spend planning, executing and recovering from drinking.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Sober Today

And we're off!! Oh boy I have to be strong. Beautiful weather means I want to start out on a patio drinking beer. Ugh.

Going to a great women's AA meeting now. Then park with the dog/s...then Petsmart..then Panera Bread on the patio (they don't serve alcohol yay!).

Good luck to all!
Old 03-22-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Today will be the end of my 5th week sober. I came close to slipping earlier this week when I mistakenly went out with friends and felt very uncomfortable drinking water. My drinking problems paled in comparison to most of my friends, so I began to compare myself and obsess over why sobriety was necessary. When things are going well and they're going out, having fun, and meeting attractive women, they tend to gloat over how great drinking is and how I'm making a mistake by not drinking. It's annoying and almost makes me wish that they would have to deal with the consequences for their actions, but I know this is a selfish thought.

The lack of alcohol itself is not a challenge. It's just the peer pressure and being labeled as an outcast by the majority of people who drink. I am finding it difficult to relate to many alcoholics since I did not drink daily or even go on binges for days. I usually just went out one weekend night, had way too many drinks with buddies, and then woke up the next day with no desire to keep drinking. I'm trying to remind myself that it's progressive and I'm just putting an early stop to it. I do have friends who will sometimes continue drinking the entire weekend.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Brent... Mind me ask what consequences have you had that helps you define yourself as an alcoholic? Not that they are required but just poor health or negative self thoughts can be enough to say no more.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
I'm hanging in there Weasel1966. 9.10pm on Day 1. Thanks for being so supportive.
Way to go Mish!

I knew you could do it.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Had a nice Friday evening with the family. My daughter is home from university for the week. Went to bed sober and got almost 8 hours of sleep.

Plan for today is to put a new motor in the door of my wife's van and do some prep work for replacing the blower motor in the car when the part arrives next week.

I still have my bike ride on the agenda from last weekend. It is a beautiful sunny morning but 24 degrees F. Too cold for me just yet.

Have a great sober Saturday everyone.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Brent... Mind me ask what consequences have you had that helps you define yourself as an alcoholic? Not that they are required but just poor health or negative self thoughts can be enough to say no more.
Just the heavy drinking on that one night. I would have as many as 15 drinks and end up driving drunk, pissing people off, having unsafe sex, and other things. I don't even know if I'm an alcoholic or just someone who needs to get better at controlling my drinking. I'm definitely one of many in my age group.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Brent... Applying a label of any kind was never easy for me. So I always go with how I feel. If you drink heavily on a single day of the week and you wind up driving drunk and bad things happen then there will be a lot of people applying the A label to you. Including your friends.

I truly commend you for seeing yourself for the reality of it.

Controlling drinking for me is like corralling kittens. It's not easy and eventually one will get away from me. So I can a day or two but... And that's a damn big but... My drinking gets to much and bad things happen.

Stand your ground as you seem to be. Treat yourself good. F the labels.

Glad you joined us for the weekend.

Ken
Old 03-22-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I went to our fellowship for our weekly chip meeting last night and was blessed to hear another incredible speaker. He talked about all the tragedies in his life that happened after he had gotten sober and how he managed to stay sober through each of them. The bottom line is that drinking wont fix anything but it sure can (and will) make things a whole lot worse and bring on misery and pain.

Time for a long soak in my 104' spa and then it's time to prep my 4x4 for an off road adventure with friends on sunday.

Have a great SOBER day!