Notices

I am in a free fall

Old 03-20-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am in a free fall

Not well. Saw doctor, who gave me a referral for a pyschiatrist. Will not prescribe benzos (lithium, etc.) because of my alcoholism.

Maintenance drinking to stop shakes. Cannot go to the ER again.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

why can't you go to the ER again C4G?

D
Old 03-20-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you go to the ER. You can stop the free-fall.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Change! Happy to see you back and sorry to hear you are struggling. Ive fought with this... myself... for the last 6 months again. Im on day 4 today. So no advice from me.

You are in my thoughts and I wish you the best.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Follow through on that appointment with the psychiatrist. You don't need benzos to quit drinking, and anyway they won't prescribe many if any to people like us because that is a lethal combination. The anxiety is normal, but if you have an anxiety disorder there are other treatments a good doctor can help you with. Or seek our a drug and alcohol counselor.

There is hope if you can abstain from a drink for today - or the next hour - or the next minute. Break it down to as small a chuck as you need to. Many of us find it very difficult to quit on our own - don't underestimate the power of support. Keep in touch here and look into meetings. You may not want to go but you don't want to drink either right? Consider trying something for your recovery that doesn't "feel" right - feelings are b.s. right now - don't trust 'em. Do what doctors suggest and ignore your feelings 0 this is "put one foot in front of the other" time. A drink is the only thing you can't handle - the rest you can, and it only gets better when you start working for recovery.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Climber122 View Post
Follow through on that appointment with the psychiatrist. You don't need benzos to quit drinking, and anyway they won't prescribe many if any to people like us because that is a lethal combination. The anxiety is normal, but if you have an anxiety disorder there are other treatments a good doctor can help you with. Or seek our a drug and alcohol counselor.

There is hope if you can abstain from a drink for today - or the next hour - or the next minute. Break it down to as small a chuck as you need to. Many of us find it very difficult to quit on our own - don't underestimate the power of support. Keep in touch here and look into meetings. You may not want to go but you don't want to drink either right? Consider trying something for your recovery that doesn't "feel" right - feelings are b.s. right now - don't trust 'em. Do what doctors suggest and ignore your feelings 0 this is "put one foot in front of the other" time. A drink is the only thing you can't handle - the rest you can, and it only gets better when you start working for recovery.
I appreciate this. My doctor thinks it is only safe to go to the hospital at this point. Trying to work, dialing into my meetings.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your doctor must know you're still drinking and doesn't want you mixing benzos with alcohol, could be dangerous.

I'd go to the ER anyway and get help to stop the maintenance drinking. Drinking won't make anything better.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I went to the ER. I am home now, with librium. This scared me beyond measure. Resting today, and hope to return to work on Monday.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know it's scary, but you're taking steps now that will pay great dividends in the long run! Hang in there!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope this can be your turning point C4G

D
Old 03-22-2014, 02:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers C4G. Hang in there.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You will be ok, ride it through, you can do it! Librium should help a lot, good luck x