Notices

lonely sobriety

Old 05-28-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Wess, congrats on your sobriety and progress! I'm 4 months in, too, and pretty happy about it now. For me the biggest improvement between 3 months and now has been a boost to my self-confidence in navigating in this recovery business... I've been jumping all over the map between different recovery methods, learning tons, trying to figure out what might work for me. It's still far from a solid straight approach, but I feel I have a much better grasp on it now. Huge thanks to SR for this, in my case. I see that you have not posted a lot on the site - if you still feel lonely, give it a chance - it has really erased most of my lonely feelings. I was very isolated in the last couple years before quitting, and don't feel that way at all, anymore. So many new things to focus on.

The other area where I relate to you a bit is what you have written about your wife - how is it going now, would you mind saying a few words? I have also experienced quite a bit of relationship dynamic since I've gotten sober; this is a same sex relationship with another woman and we've been together (well, I no longer view this "togetherness" the way I did just a few months ago) for >2 years. Not living together currently. In our case, the dynamic is mostly due to changes in my feelings and how I experience and view the whole construct. She is very accepting and accommodating, one could say stable, but also has a lot of denial, I think.

Have you found anything that makes it easier between your wife and yourself? For us, there have been lots and lots of conversations lately, which is nice, but I feel there are some real differences in how we view the relationship now and a possible future. It may well be that it's just the changes in my mind and it'll change further, we'll see. In any case, I'm trying to be better at focusing on her as well as myself and figuring this out.

I also just started therapy and I think it will be a fantastic journey for me... but at least in the beginning I prefer to focus on a bunch of issues that are my own priorities. Maybe try to address the relationship thing later. I suggested to her that she also tried individual therapy on her own, and then we could discuss what we learn, but she does not seem open to it. In the beginning she said yes, but I think she's afraid.

Anyhow, if you have any additional thoughts or insight to share, I would be interested.

Good luck on your journey!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congratulations Wes, it will get even better.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Thywill

Thanks for your kind words everyone.I am still doing well. and have started going to meetings meeting people in person being happy for other people,s sucsess life seems differant now hard to explain but Its like the old life was reading a book but not absorbing the words. being able to sleep a full night is also helping me too.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Wess, 3 months sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Thanks for updating us wess that is great to hear! And 3 months is awesome!
Old 01-12-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Thywill

hello Again As you know with sobriety comes a lot of learning mostly about ones self. Going to meetings listening to the messages doing a lot of nodding inner voice telling me "yes that was you"I should update, me and mrs wess are doing fine . mostly because my sobriety has made me more patient I dont have to defend my self all the time I can be wrong its ok. anyways I am thinking more of others less about me
Old 01-12-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

That's awesome! So glad u updated this post! There are so many people who post and then u never hear from them after some time! Thanks for the hope!
Old 01-12-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you updated us with your good news.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Wess!!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Wess
Old 01-13-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Thywill

getting better

Hello Haennie, thanks for your kind words. I tried staying sober on my own and for the most part it kinda worked. Surely drinking In moderation would be possible ,right? Not so much In one weekend old patterns quickly emerged.I attended AA meetings And then Answers I searched for started Being answered,I no longer was Alone. I still have a lot of work to do and for myself being less self centered has made me more in tune with my wifes needs we get along better she is far from perfect but then neither am I.Good luck I hope everything works out she sounds like she is trying as hard as you are.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Thywill

8 Months now

Hello Sorry for the huge delay between post I recently picked up a eight month coin. Life being sober is so much easier .Of course life still throws me curves but thanks to the program of AA I can deal with things better. And with prayers every morning and every night I definitely have a closer connection with my higher power.I don't take my sobriety for granted it is a miracle I am sober for this long . If I can do it so can you.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA was and is my solution to having friends and being a friend
Old 10-28-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Again, thanks for the update. It's good to hear that you're doing well, and congratulations on 8 months sober.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Way to go Wess!!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Great, Wess!!! Thanks for the update-
Old 10-28-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety! I have enjoyed my time alone, took up meditation and starting reading again at night, I keep the tv off, give it a try.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:00 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

That's great, Wess! I love updates like this. I like seeing the upward trajectory of the SR folks when they finally make sobriety stick. Hopefully things are better between you and your wife. You seem much happier.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:46 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Wess