Notices

Hatred

Old 03-21-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
I was VERY close to acting on revenge, revenge delivered in an extreme evil manner, however I am learning to '' put it away '' so to speak
There are more than a few people sitting in cells right now who felt justified in acting on their anger. It takes way more courage to put the past behind you and move on. Keep sharing how you feel, a lot of us have been there and still struggle with the same issues.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johnston View Post
There are more than a few people sitting in cells right now who felt justified in acting on their anger. It takes a whole lot more courage to put the past behind you and move on. Keep sharing how you feel, a lot of us have been there and still struggle with the same issues.
Believe me If I did take my revenge it really reaaaally would be justified, however with that being said I really don't wish to spend 30 plus years rotting away in a cell. My life is worth more than my hatred.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I can relate so much .When I was newly sober I had such strong feelings of hate and rememeber posting a similar thread to yours. people told me it was a resentment which I didn't know but of course do know now. I 've learned so much from SR.

Someone said when a bad,angry,hateful thought of someone goes into your head accept what they've done and forgive them. Then let it go. It sounded crazy but you know it worked. Not immediately but with practice. Now 12 months or so later I get the occasional hateful thought. I recognize it for what it is and let it go.

I've also done some reading and work on the power of positive thinkng and thought stopping/switching which has helped. I realize that when I have bad thoughts they're not affecting or hurting the people I' mthinking about-they are only affecting me and making me feel bad.

You can learn to control your thoughts-don't let your thoughts control you
Old 03-21-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
I very often wake up feeling filled with absolute pure evil hatred in my heart, the thoughts of seeking revenge against people who have hurt me, running the film over and over and over in my head!
Ouch. I work on a guilt and forgiveness project and I came to believe hatred is one of the most destructive feelings one might have. However, it is something that is happening to us, instead of being us, so there's a way to deal with it.

I'd recommend some education into the issue at hand:

-- A Little Fable as told by Lewis B. Smedes in his Forgive & Forget book may be a nice start;
-- His Art of Forgiving is worth looking at but if it's religious overtones bother you, you may wish to check out
-- Forgiving Dr. Mengele (yes, that Nazi Mengele) by Eva Kor. There's a book of hers and also a movie of the same title by Bob Hercules. Quite an inspiring woman, that Eva Kor;
-- Etty Hillesum and her Gratitude in Concentration Camp (!?) is great thing to ponder, while at the Nazi era and, as always, I'd strongly recommend you to find EVERYTHING from Marshall Rosenberg, perhaps starting with
-- Pretty Poor Protoplasm Poorly Put Together by Marshall Rosenberg, Ph.D. or "how to make your life miserable." (yes, that is meant to be funny

For advanced stages I'd always recommend you to check out Petar A. Levine on trauma et.al. and let him and your research take you further.

BTW - I also know hatred and its toxicity for the soul - that's one of the reasons why I work on that project

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hey there ChilledIce

You are very honest about your feelings. That must be a very positive sign. And you recognise that you"re replaying the tape, so the one moment someone irritates you becomes amplified again and again and again, just like the depressed person who ruminates on past problems, or the anxious person imagines a frightening future event.

Have you ever tried a loving kindness meditation?

Here is an example .... http://youtu.be/sz7cpV7ERsM

God bless you, and thank you for sharing with us so openly and honestly.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Holli-I think you're being unfair. The OP has come on here for support. He is being honest about his feelings and many of us relate to the awful thoughts we had in early sobriety -it's not abnormal to have feelings of resentment.

No where does he say he IS going to act on them and no one is encouraging him to act on them. But talking about them and learning how to deal with them can only be a good thing.
No, I reject this. I read the posts in this thread, and I've experienced anger and resentment myself, and I don't see similarities in what he has posted are his thoughts and feelings and what others are posting or I have myself experienced. I urge you to re-read his actual posts. Read the actual words, don't project your experiences, feelings and emotions into them.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Holli View Post
No, I reject this. I read the posts in this thread, and I've experienced anger and resent myself, and I don't see similarities in what he has posted are his thoughts and feelings and what others are posting or I have myself experienced. I urge you to re-read his actual posts.
Each person's thoughts and feelings are their own though. Just because one person hasn't felt something or experienced something doesn't mean another person's feelings or thoughts are not valid.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some posts have been removed as per our rule. Please use Ignore if you are bothered. And, please keep your comments to the OP, rather than back and forth to each other.

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

It is also our policy not to allow threads that are purely to announce that you are unhappy here and "leaving the site'" or to post threads discussing why someone left or was banned. Such posts often detract from our purpose of providing support in recovery. Posts of this nature may be removed and continued posting of this nature could jeopardize your membership. If you wish to “leave” SR or just take a break from the site you are welcome to notify your friends via the Private Message feature.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Woaaaah Holli please let me just express that I am NOT going to hurt ANYONE' however when I was once young people hurt me in a very bad manner, so ofcourse I wish to hirt them back! But I am CHOOSING not to! I am trying to rise above it and somehow find the ability to forgive sp I can heal :-)

P.S I'm using my android tablet which is just awful to type on so please forgive spelling mistakes :-)
Old 03-21-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think most of us realise what you were trying to say chilledice, dont worry too much about explaining yourself, its good to talk emotions through, better than drowning them by drinking!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks Toddle :-) its great to come here and just talk about things :-)
Old 03-21-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yeah, agreed, we all get dark thoughts at times, it can often be a sign of depression I found, when I stopped taking my meds I would get crazy thoughts and scare myself. Its just your mind playing games, they pass...remember they are just thoughts
Old 03-21-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Each person's thoughts and feelings are their own though. Just because one person hasn't felt something or experienced something doesn't mean another person's feelings or thoughts are not valid.
I appreciate this post thank you :-)

I find it better to talk about things and get it off my chest, you guys have been great and im lucky to have found this site :-)