Notices

NOT giving in , however..

Old 03-19-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NOT giving in , however..

Today is just awful! Feel so emotional and sad with tears in my eyes and a literal ache in my heart. I try to remind myself that there are people worse off than me but it does me no good, I go from SEVERE hatred on my heart to sheer sadness in the space of an hour!

Just trying my best not to drink, so desperate to feel better but I cant shake the sadness, its breaking me down and down and down!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you feel so down, I think a lot of people feel like that is horrible

When did you last have a drink?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Had 4 beers on sunday so day 3 for me, this is what keeps fighting against me when I attempt to get sober! I cant push through the emotional pain its just SO overwhelming!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you alone, do you feel lonely? Could you bear to go for a walk or try to distract yourself by watching something, a movie or something? I have been there, its awful, as you know alcohol is a depressant, the more days between you and that last drink the better you will feel, you know this though and its not very helpful if youre feeling down.

Could you make an appt with the dr? xx It will pass, but when youre in it I know how unbearable it is, drink messes up the chemicals in our brain, so we lack dopamine etc which makes us feel horrid
Old 03-19-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi chilledice, what support can you get right now? Friends, family? AA?
I think seeing a doctor would be a good idea; they know more than you think and might be able to get you through this initial period.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by toddle118 View Post
Are you alone, do you feel lonely? Could you bear to go for a walk or try to distract yourself by watching something, a movie or something? I have been there, its awful, as you know alcohol is a depressant, the more days between you and that last drink the better you will feel, you know this though and its not very helpful if youre feeling down.

Could you make an appt with the dr? xx It will pass, but when youre in it I know how unbearable it is, drink messes up the chemicals in our brain, so we lack dopamine etc which makes us feel horrid
I am alone yes but parents back soon, another thing which bothers me 28 and living with mom n dad ughh! but I am lucky to have them!

I cooked a curry and it helped to eat something I guess.

The dr just tries to to put me on prozacs all the time, ive never taken them before and I never will as I have heard the horror stories about them!

Im just stuck in the past! Cant stop thinking about a woman I dated 2 years ago, didn't even date that long but its still painful, cant stop thinking about having no job, no car, no own place etc etc just curcumstances getting me down right now!

Thanks for hearing me out I do appreciate it!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Hi chilledice, what support can you get right now? Friends, family? AA?
I think seeing a doctor would be a good idea; they know more than you think and might be able to get you through this initial period.

My folks back home soon and some mates might pop round later, everyone knows im trying to quit the booze and they have been great with me!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

At least youve eaten, ride it through, no emotion lasts forever and it will pass. I dont have a job or car anymore either and I really used to dwell on it and worry about it when I was drinking. I thought the drink was helping but it wasnt, I was existing, barely.

Youre only 28 hun, cant you do some volunteering or something? I have been putting it off but decided Im going to ask tomorrow in local charity shops, just a few hours a week, just to get my confidence up and feel normal again.

As for the girl, yeah thats the nature of depression, dwelling on the past and mistakes or whatever made. Get a new dr, there are loads of anti depressants out there, or perhaps therapies they could suggest. Hope you feel better soon x Well, you will feel better soon, as long as you dont pick up that drink!!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by toddle118 View Post
At least youve eaten, ride it through, no emotion lasts forever and it will pass. I dont have a job or car anymore either and I really used to dwell on it and worry about it when I was drinking. I thought the drink was helping but it wasnt, I was existing, barely.

Youre only 28 hun, cant you do some volunteering or something? I have been putting it off but decided Im going to ask tomorrow in local charity shops, just a few hours a week, just to get my confidence up and feel normal again.

As for the girl, yeah thats the nature of depression, dwelling on the past and mistakes or whatever made. Get a new dr, there are loads of anti depressants out there, or perhaps therapies they could suggest. Hope you feel better soon x Well, you will feel better soon, as long as you dont pick up that drink!!
I love animals, maybe I could volunteer at the rscpa or something like that, that would be cool

Thanks for taking the time to listen

Im exhausted but goona take the dog out for a bit, maybe some fresh air will help.

I wont give in and drink, il ride it through!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good on you, and yes rspca or a vet practice would be good. Have a nice walk with your doggie, take care, let us know how you get on
Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
I cant push through the emotional pain its just SO overwhelming!
Early recovery is tough, emotionally. Lot of folks in emotional pain, for all sorts of reasons. But only alcoholics feel the need to drink over it.

Instead of dwelling on what makes you sad, think of all the things you should be grateful for.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have you tried AA or any other support programs?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

Im just stuck in the past! Cant stop thinking about a woman I dated 2 years ago, didn't even date that long but its still painful, cant stop thinking about having no job, no car, no own place etc etc just curcumstances getting me down right now!
There are many different clinical characterizations of depression. Some people describe depression as an inability to see a future. Others describe it as an inability to see anything but a bleak future.

In general, people who suffer from depression are trapped in an unhappy past, and people with anxiety are trapped in a terrifying future.

If you never give antidepressants a go, you'll never know what kind of life you might have lived.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Chilledice, it seems quite obvious from your posts that you want a different and better life; sobriety is the foundation for that.

Dealing with sadness can be overwhelming AND depressing; you may want to give meds a try. I fought anxiety for years before finally trying meds and, guess what, they worked.

I agree with the others; try to get out - volunteering sounds great; it can provide such amazing perspective.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Just hold on. It will get better xxxxx
Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know the early emotional pain of recovery is hard, but you need to get through it. It's the only way. And, when you get through it, it will get easier and easier.

Getting outside of your head and doing volunteer work is a great idea, and really helped me.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Today is just awful! Feel so emotional and sad with tears in my eyes and a literal ache in my heart. I try to remind myself that there are people worse off than me but it does me no good, I go from SEVERE hatred on my heart to sheer sadness in the space of an hour!

Just trying my best not to drink, so desperate to feel better but I cant shake the sadness, its breaking me down and down and down!
Hope all is well Chilled. Stay on here and keep addressing the fact alcohol will make the sadness worse!
Old 03-19-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Staying sober will help you change your situation, Chilldice. Remember, you've already taken some positive steps. You got your learning license to drive, so that's a plus. Can't drive when you're drunk. Getting sober will help you in every way.

One key thing is that it's hard to take a step back and get a good view of your situation when you're drinking. It messes up your perspective and keeps you from seeing things clearly.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chilledice

If you're depressed and it's affecting your life and making you want to drink, seeing a Dr is the best way to go.

You don't need to take meds if you really don't want to - but I wouldn't listen to horror stories either. There are people here on SR taking anti-depression medication right now with no ill effect.

If you don't feel confident in your current Dr - why not find a new one?
Have a chat about your situation.

D