SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day One - Check! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/326331-day-one-check.html)

MrsSensitive 03-19-2014 06:18 AM

Day One - Check!

Finally got my mind straight and decided to give it a shot. Made it through the night doing all right. Some cravings but mostly just missing that habit. Anxiety was a little rough. But, once I got to sleep, I didn't have the usual sweating and waking up I have had in the past. I'm ready this time. Actually kind of excited. And I woke up bright eyed and feeling good today.

Don't think Day 2 will be difficult but keeping myself aware in case AV rears her ugly Chardonnay filled head. Day 3 is always the worst.

But, I am leaving next week for a 3 day overnight field trip with my kid's school so I have to make sure I am through the worst of it before then. There will be no opportunity for Madam Chardonnay to come along!

Crossing fingers I can do it this time.

IOAA2 03-19-2014 06:24 AM

Welcome and more power to you. Overall drinking is not terribly difficult to stop, it's the staying stopped that's the work. There are many tools to use for that part of sobriety.

BE WELL

FeelingGreat 03-19-2014 07:16 AM

Well done, MS, the first day is vital. Isn't it a good feeling waking up the next morning? Keep going.

Thepatman 03-19-2014 07:25 AM

A wise decision you made. Just hang on tight and I guarantee you will soon see the benefits unfold before you.

Heath, money, better sleep. (Continue your list)

If you feel like drinking, try to come up with one good reason.

toddle118 03-19-2014 07:32 AM

Good luck MrsS, you can do it!!!

:hyper

KateL 03-19-2014 07:48 AM

Agreed, you can do it. Best of luck xxxx

FortWorthsober 03-19-2014 08:55 AM

I completely understand, MrsS, about missing the habit. I'm on day four, and I have so much extra time on my hands now that I'm not scheduling my date with Char! Thinking about you today--make that field trip your goal!

SoberLeigh 03-19-2014 09:12 AM

Good ole Char; she gets around. All the best to you MS; glad you've made that first brave step.

chaos34 03-19-2014 09:41 AM

Congrats on making the decision to breakup with Char!! I think you will be thankful for not having Char around next week, you'll be able to enjoy the trip with the kids fully. I've done the room mommy thing at school before and a clear head is NECESSARY for survival.

The to do list posted underneath your name is all you need to remember ;)

MrsSensitive 03-19-2014 10:24 AM

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. Did the grocery shopping today and it was a little odd walking past that wine aisle without stopping. I persevered though. The thought of what to do with all this extra time on my hands is consuming. Never been a "day" drinker, but when 5pm strikes, it always gets really sticky for me.

Lance40 03-19-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by MrsSensitive (Post 4538025)
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. Did the grocery shopping today and it was a little odd walking past that wine aisle without stopping. I persevered though. The thought of what to do with all this extra time on my hands is consuming. Never been a "day" drinker, but when 5pm strikes, it always gets really sticky for me.

I so relate with everything you've said - I've been right there with you on the walking past the usual stopping spots, the extra time and the late afternoon trap. I'm just curious - do you have any particular strategy with how you deal with walking past the wine aisle?

I came up with what are probably silly little rituals to deal with walking past the liquor store on the way home from work. For the first while I altered my entire route so I didn't even go by it, but I still craved like crazy. The first day I walked by it I walked on the opposite side of the street and kept my head turned to the side so I couldn't even see it in my peripheral vision. LOL

The last time I walked by there I didn't have any cravings but at the last minute I decided to still cross the street and walk on the opposite side just to re-affirm that I'm no longer drinking. My ongoing plan is to avoid walking by the liquor store whenever possible because I find it's a conscious affirmation for me that I'm living a new life now and don't need to tempt the old paths unless business requires I be in that area.

chaos34 03-19-2014 10:59 AM

The ole drink before dinner huh? Try doing something different. Come and post here :)

SoberLeigh 03-19-2014 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by MrsSensitive (Post 4538025)

Check back in at 5; someone will be here for you.

adams 03-19-2014 11:00 AM

Hi Mrs. Glad to see you here. You can do it!

Fishinainteasy 03-19-2014 11:13 AM

Good luck. I'm 6 hours away from 48 hours. I feel terrible and freaking awesome at the same time. Got back from my first meeting today and was so glad I rolled out of bed. It helped ME a lot.

PurpleKnight 03-19-2014 12:23 PM

Keep pushing through!! :)

freethinking 03-19-2014 12:35 PM

Congrats!

MrsSensitive 03-19-2014 03:53 PM

Hanging in at 7pm. Have almost made it through the "witching hours" unscathed. Visited the gourmet market vitamin people today and got some Valerian Root and something for acid stomach which I have developed since not drinking. My gut feels on fire after eating. Is this something anyone else has had happen? Made a wonderful dinner and actually ate and tasted it instead of feeding the family and maybe eating something else later. Fearing I will gain weight eating a real meal now.

Hevyn 03-19-2014 04:21 PM

Proud of you MrsS - you made it over a big hurdle. We know how rough those first few days are.

I did have a very sensitive stomach for a few weeks after quitting, but it settled down.

MrsSensitive 03-19-2014 07:32 PM

Made it to bedtime. Feeling fine and hoping I can sleep at least a little. Gonna read a bit...what a concept at this time of night. Day 3 is always my hardest so I am going to grip tightly tomorrow and hope I can swim through tomorrow tonight. Getting my hair cut so at least that will be something to look forward to.

Thank you to everyone for your support.