Notices

First time

Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time

Not sure where to begin. Quit drinking on Feb 9th, 2014 after 25 years of very heavy drinking with the last 20 years being every day. Now time seems to have come to a stop. Can't seem to keep myself busy enough. I'm not sure if it is boredom or the real withdrawl is starting to kick in.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done and just hang on in there xxxx
Old 03-19-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

After all your sober time it's not likely withdrawals, could be something else.

I'm glad you joined us.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Takes awhile to get acclimated to the free time. To me it felt like I finally quit my second job. I picked weight training / weight loss as a yearlong goal to focus on, so far I've been 85% diligent in sticking to that goal, and 85% is plenty enough to get some things accomplished.

The one year mark is rolling around in the end of June, and I'm getting pretty close to where I want to be on weight/physique, so starting to think about a new goal for this year. Considering really locking-in on getting my jazz guitar skills up to date. Also wanted to get to marathon shape over the next year or so, run the local city marathon next year, so that is another thing I'm contemplating. Oh, and maybe start dating again. That seems like a lot of work though ..

So enough of my anecdotes already! In short, you might pick a long-term goal you've always wanted to accomplish but never took up because drinking either took up too much of your time, or made you too unreliable to commit to long-term goals. That kind of thing tends to fill your free time. Or go get an accounting degree (oh what fun it is to actuary. . ) or other career improvement stuffs.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

for 20 years my 'fun' came out of a bottle.

When I stopped drinking I had literally no idea how sober people had fun, so I just tended to do the same things I used to drunk - I couldn't go to bars, so I pretty much watched TV, surfed the net and willed the hours to pass before bed.

That's no way for a new life to begin.

One day it suddenly occured to me - I could do whatever I wanted now.

VF you must have interests or hobbies or things you want to do.
Now you can

The world's your oyster - I wouldn't hang around drink or drinkers for a while, but apart from that, you can do anything...anything except drink.

D
Old 03-19-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are doing it! Difficult but not impossible. Welcome!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I work away from home most of the time so that is part of the boredom problem. I'll have no problem keeping busy once I get home and start doing work around my house that I've neglected. The one problem is all my friends at home drink hard.