Notices

Its time to save my life. Help me to be strong.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Its time to save my life. Help me to be strong.

Hello

Its so crazy how different the sober world is. I have been sober for 2 days and need help to stay strong. Any advice??
Old 03-18-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Take it one day at a time. Tell yourself you will not have a drink tomorrow.

You can do this!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to Sober Recovery. Congrats on two days of sober living.

What kept me strong was finding things I enjoyed doing (that didn't include drinking, obviously!)

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All comes down to your plan?

-Simply taking alcohol out of your lifestyle isn't going to work, it'll lead to too much time to fill and sitting around thinking about drinking, you need a plan of activities to fill your time.

-You only need to think about TODAY, forget about weeks/months, here and now you only have to think about getting to bedtime, that's all, are you Sober today? yes, then job done!! one day at a time!!

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

You just have to repeat what you've already done for 2 days over and over and over again.

Try to remember things you enjoyed before drinking took over. Listen to music. Reconnect with old friends. Join a gym. Take a walk. Eat pizza. Take naps.

Sometimes it's 5 minutes at a time but just surf right through the cravings. It will get easier over time...
Old 03-18-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think that early on like this, it's best to keep it simple. Your goal right now should be to wake up tomorrow and be sober. Take it from there. Small steps. You can do this buddy!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

About a month ago I was getting ready to shovel snow AGAIN! In my garage I discovered 4 bottles of dogfish. I was tempted beyond belief. But I walked away. At a meeting that night I shared about it. Someone I had never met drove me home and we dumped out the beers together into the snow.
That was after almost 60 days sober. The craving is not there but the urges come and go occasionally. I was reminded that almost everything I do for the next year will be the first time I did it without a beer or drink. After scoffing it off, I realized how true it is. Congratulations on stopping. You have a long way to go. Just keep doing what others have already said. You only have to get through today. Tomorrow is another day. And if you are struggling with getting through the day, just get through the next hour. It will come I promise you that. Take it from someone who didn't go a day without drinking for the past 12 years.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
getting there

One of the tools that helps me the most (especially in the very early days) is to "play the tape through" anytime I'm thinking about drinking. I try to think to the next morning, but also to the next few days, two weeks, a month, etc, to myself being back in that same endless pattern of drinking and hating myself, which I am trying desperately to escape. It's helped me a lot to get through periods of craving and second-guessing my decision to be sober.

Keep posting and reading. You can do this!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Reading this board daily, sometimes coming back five or six times through-out the day helps me a lot. Also the last time I had a strong urge to drink I looked up YouTube video where someone talked about how she killed her friend driving drunk. It took all my urge away and made me want nothing to do with alcohol, at least for a few hours...

Keep working at it, every day. You can do this.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and congrats on day 2 xx
Old 03-19-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Practically speaking, I have to find ways to stay out of the store durning my times of angst. I have gone to get groceries at 6 am, when I know I can't buy my addiction. Or I ask someone else to go for what I need. I have to change my patterns of my day.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FortWorthsober View Post
Practically speaking, I have to find ways to stay out of the store durning my times of angst. I have gone to get groceries at 6 am, when I know I can't buy my addiction. Or I ask someone else to go for what I need. I have to change my patterns of my day.
One of things I used to hate about living in PA was that you can't buy alcohol in the grocery stores. One trip to the beer store, another trip to the liquor store and if you feel like buying food...

How ironic that now it is one the great things about living in PA.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

122 E. 37th Street

great meetings all day long. lotsa people keeping their obsessions at bay one day at a time together.

Good Luck!!