Notices

Alcohol abuse

Old 03-18-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Alcohol abuse

Hi,
I have been sober since 77 days. I am 42 yrs old with two teenage children. Well I really don't know if I should use the word sober for myself. My father was an alcoholic, my cousin was an alcoholic. They both died because of alcohol. I was married to an alcoholic person for 16 years. My drinking level started to increase every year since 2004. My two best friends were heavy drinkers (not alcoholic). I remember days when we drank 22 hours non stop. The next day I would be sick to death while they would go on drinking. This was the situation for me all the time. Drink and be sick the other day. Miss work. And I started to be very aggressive. Making telephone calls. Using language which I don't use normally. Every day when I was getting sober I was swearing I would drink in moderate amount. Which as u guess was never able to. I always did the same. This summer I started having brownouts. (not remembering what I did the night before unless someone provided me some clues-a little softer than a blackout). This started to scare me to death. This January 1st I stopped drinking. I also started using medication for some other reason which also helps to cut the need to drink. Now my question is this: During last 10 years I was a social drinker who didn't drink at home alone or who didnt have any withdrawal symptoms at all. But, I was abusing alcohol. Should I have consider my self an alcoholic? (Whatever I was, I am so happy to quit drinking. I look much younger, feel healthier, feel respect, my kids are very happy…. - the list would go on and on and on…)
Old 03-18-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i had the same question and this is what i was told:

don't focus so much on labeling yourself. it doesn't matter if you are an "alcoholic" by definition or not. if you think you have a problem, then you probably do.

makes sense to me! congrats on 77 days and welcome!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agreed, labels don't mean a thing. There probably are different levels alcohol dependency, but all that matters is you want to quit, because you want more out of life. If you feel you are drinking too much, or if its causing problems in your life, but you have problems cutting back or quitting, you have come to the right place.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Ditto "Its not a problem unless it causes problems"
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sounds to me like you're a person who is benefiting from abstaining. Alcoholic or not, I don't think it matters if you choose to keep it that way! But just in case...

Whatever I was, I am so happy to quit drinking. I look much younger, feel healthier, feel respect, my kids are very happy…. - the list would go on and on and on…
If I were you, I'd print this on a piece of paper and stick it in your purse. Maybe add some of those items on that list you mention could go on and on. Someday you might feel the urge to get drunk again, and when you do, take this out of your purse and read it. Think about what alcohol did to your family and your marriage. If you still choose to binge drink after you've done that, you might want to reconsider whether or not you are an alcoholic.

Welcome to SR - I'm glad you chose to share here.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! And congrats on your sober days.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 77 days!! It was freeing for me to stop having the internal conversation about whether i am an alcoholic. I never had withdrawals, didnt drink every day, hell i could even moderate, which i did when playing music out, just never saw the point any other time. I consider myself a full-blown alcoholic and my life has been better since i stopped getting completely blotto 2-4 times a week. If someone wants to call me "just" a problem drinker, i'm fine with that.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome...
Will keep on going
Old 03-19-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and yes, keep on going forward, no turning back
Old 03-19-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, hope you can gain some insight here by reading various posts and threads, keep doing what youre doing, who wants to be an aggressive annoying drunk, even if you werent 'an alcoholic' it caused you problems. You dont need it, life is richer without it!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Mia

Whatever you call yourself it sounds like you're way better off being sober
I think the important thing is to remember that

D
Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One interesting fact is that I am in night business where people around me drink. Most will think it would be hard to quit under this circumstance. Well just on the contrary. When I see the state and the physical change people go through when they drink I feel very privileged and distinguished and kind of strong that I was able to quit