Notices

I'm new, I'm an alcoholic and I'm scared. :(

Old 03-19-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to meet you ElusiveRose. I love your attitude and the fact that you've said "I'm Done". You sound so ready to kick alcohol out of your life. We know you can do it.

I was completely dependent when I came to SR - drinking on 'weekends only' had turned into drinking 24/7. I was much older than you & my life was practically destroyed - all because I couldn't admit what you're admitting. Be proud of yourself for facing the truth.

I'm sorry for all the pain you've been through & understand that you sought relief from it. We turn to alcohol to help us cope & numb the pain - but it just prolongs our suffering. I'm glad you're on your way to being free of it.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Rose... Many here have wrestled the demon that you are fighting. As far as health concerns go you are doing the 100% correct thing. See your doctor. Back when I was early on after I stopped I had many aches and pains and worried so much. I didn't sleep well, had night sweats, had back/liver pain, blood pressure was high, heart raced, and the AV kept telling me a few drinks would calm me down and make it all better. In times past I would give in and then the cycle begins again, but this time stayed strong. Each person is different and only your doctor can tell you the specifics about your medical status, BUT I can tell you now...after 112 days without a drink I have none of those aches and pains, my BP is normal, no liver pain, and I look forward to a wonderful night sleep. On your liver worries, again your doctor is the person to discuss, but liver is an organ that actually does regenerate IF you stop drinking. After your doc runs the full tests make sure you ask about your liver function tests... Your doing it! don't drink...you'll be amazed how you feel in a very short time!!
Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You are not alone

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Dr Google is really good for freaking ourselves out.

A proper diagnosis needs a Dr, in person

I hope you won't get any tsk tsk Elusive Rose. If you do, consider changing Drs

D
Dr. Google is NOT a very good Dr.! According to Dr. Google, I received worms from my dog, coronavirus from my cat, and smallpox from my hamster.

(I'm just kidding.) But, seriously, elusiverose, keep your head up! Watch episodes of "I Love Lucy" or some other funny show that you like! "I Love Lucy", "King of the Hill", and A LOT of "Frasier" got me through a lot of my withdrawals. (That and a lot of Diet Coke. You know the ole' saying "If you're not drinkin', you're smokin', if you're not smokin', you're Diet Cokin'" ?
I then realized that water was a better choice after I was not jonesing as hard as what I was. And I'm not going to lie, I gained some weight at first too (brownies and diet coke is like HEAVEN), but, when the physical crap leveled out, I bought a work out video and did it EVERY DAY, I'm talking religiously.
Consider doing that; buying a workout dvd/ video. Check amazon for the ones with good reviews.
Seriously, I still workout every day due to my addictive personality. HA! One addiction to the next. (Although, this one is more healthy, mind you.) Girl,
you've gone through some sh**! I read your post and my back sunk down lower as I continued to read. Get out of this one ElusiveRose and you will be IRON WOMAN. Have no shame with your Dr.!!! Tell him / her that you're wanting to move on and up! You've been through a lot, and you will go through a lot to get sober, but, dam***, going through that 'threshold of Hell' and coming out on the other side...girl, there is NO OTHER way to describe the Euphoria. It is EU-freaking-phoria. You may think a lot of sober people are self-righteous. (I know I did.) But, seriously, it's as if these wonderful endorphins are engulfing our brains after that being sober for so long. (I think the endorphins might be trying to make up for how sh**** we felt when trying to get sober!)

Please message me if you want to talk. I've been there. Done that. I have sad stories that I can share if you want to hear. Just know you are NOT ALONE.

Much love sister,

Nat

Sober 939 days!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I completely understand how you feel about telling your Dr and"disappointing"her. Been there! The only thing that will make her feel a little bummed it's that you didn't tell her sooner, so she could have helped you sooner. Don't sweat it. This is all about You. And remember, your Dr can only help you as much as you can help yourself. You've taken the biggest step in doing that by quitting drinking and accepting you have a problem. Drink lots of water. Best of luck, you're doing great
Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. Same as everyone, see your doctor and tell your doctor. I went to the hospital to detox and my personal doctor just coincidentally happened to be the doctor assigned to the detox unit that day. Can't mislead her anymore. I relapsed and wanted to quit so I straightaway called her and when I saw her I told her and I was given a prescription for medication to help ease the withdrawal symptoms. She was rather stern but understanding. Be honest. How much alcohol, how frequently and for how long a period of time. Your doctor can't help if they don't know what to look for. Ask to have a blood work up.

But try not to find the cause of your symptoms on google. As valuable a resource as it is (and I bet you found SR there) it is too much and you will have every disease known to mankind. My old room mate always had something wrong with her after checking out the internet. Write out what is happening physically and bring it to your doctor.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi ER, Hope you had good news at the Dr. I've been thinking about you...all positive thoughts sent your way!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wow. You sound just like me rose.
I'm 32, when I quit smoking last year I gained 25 pounds and it did a real number on my self esteem. For some reason when I quit smoking my drinking went up.
I've been a Daily drinker for years, a bottle of wine a night...though lately it's been getting to be around a bottle and a half.
I keep telling myself tonight's the night but like u fear withdrawal. I have quit a couple times before without any problem and every time I think "why didn't I do this sooner? What was I so afraid of?"
I'm laying in bed right now feeling like crap.
Gonna make today my first day.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Way to go, Summerfall! You can do it. This is a great place for help and support. Also, have found links on SR to other useful info.