Notices

I could use some support

Old 03-18-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I could use some support

I guys, I'm sober right now but I wasn't over the weekend. I had such a great week last week, so productive.

Then my long time girlfriend told me she doesn't want to be with me anymore. It's knocked me for six. This is a girl who I really love with all my heart. We had chatted about moving in and marriage an it's just come about so suddenly, I'm really struggling :/ I'm having a hard time at work because I'm an emotional wreck. Luckily I sobered myself up or things would have been much worse. I was having some real bad thoughts the other night.

I just don't know what to do. She was my best friend and we did everything together. It feels so hard to have to deal with this.

I know I have to do this, even though I wish I didn't. I have to be sober to do it as well it things will never get better. Anyway, needed to get this off my chest. I'm completely devastated.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry this happened to you. Please don't use it as an excuse to drink. That won't make it better, as you know.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Relationships are very tough, whether you are in one, leaving one or starting one. Sorry to hear that things aren't working out at this time for you. Good job on coming back here to reclaim your sobriety, that shows that you care about yourself and want to give yourself the strength to get through this.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh no, Im so sorry, I wondered where you'd been hiding...how awful for you, especially when you were doing so well. At least youre sober and back on here posting, thats a good thing. Did she say why she wanted to split? Was it the drinking?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Least, no your right, tried that one.

It just feels like I get over one huge calamity and another one arrives. I was just starting to get settled with my job and now this.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nmd

Been there and it's tough. The best advice I was given at the time was to take the time to work on myself and focus on something new that I enjoyed. For me, that was reaching out to friends and family I hadn't talk to in a while, picking up exercising after letting myself go and attempting to learn the guitar. anything to re-focus my attention on something positive and keeping busy rather than being idle
Old 03-18-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Grindilow, really sorry to hear this and that you slipped which is understandable. But you've turned it around on a sixpence and taken control of the drinking situation again which has taken self-awareness, reflection and courage. Glad you've pulled it back, you're still a Marcher x
Old 03-18-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there! Sobriety is worth more then anything else.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate it. At least with a sober mind I can deal with this hopefully in a positive manner rather than have everything fall down around me cause I'm drunk.

Gotta remember the most important person for me is me. Glad I recovered from that slip, it could have been a lot worse.

Gonna try my best to distract myself and get some sort of relaxation tonight.

Much love
Old 03-18-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Grindilow - You are so right - nothing will be made better or easier by drinking. It's best to face things with a clear head, no matter how painful they are right now. This too shall pass and you will rise above the sad feelings and carry on. I'm glad you wanted to talk it over here - you're not alone.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry,grind, that really stinks.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey MrG

I'm sorry. Breakups are painful.
That being said, your recovery needs to be for you first.

I used to have calamity after calamity in my life.
I don't anymore.

You know what the answer is

D
Old 03-18-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

MrG, I'm so sorry about this. It's tough to lose a significant other. Concentrate on yourself.

We're here to support you.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Bummer. I have learned that if I continue to stay sober through the curve balls that life can throw, I am that much stronger the next time one comes around. Stay true to yourself.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This brings back memories...

Originally Posted by MrG View Post
I guys, I'm sober right now but I wasn't over the weekend. I had such a great week last week, so productive.

Then my long time girlfriend told me she doesn't want to be with me anymore.

I just don't know what to do. She was my best friend and we did everything together. It feels so hard to have to deal with this.

I know I have to do this, even though I wish I didn't. I have to be sober to do it as well it things will never get better. Anyway, needed to get this off my chest. I'm completely devastated.
In a way I think I put it out of my head because it was nearly ten years ago now, but the last time I really tried to quit drinking and to quit smoking was ten years ago.

I did both for 10 months. I felt so much better than I had since I was a child. I thought I was going to be mature and smart and become successful because I was on the road to better health... until my then boyfriend with whom I was in a long distance relationship dumped me over the phone after my last trip to see him.

Then I picked up both cigarettes and alcohol.

Well, the rest is history. You can see my quit and sober dates.

I wish I had known then what I know now.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear about this mate, i have no answers other than to let you know you are not alone, my wife of 12 years has just separated after i busted last weekend... dont know if it helps to know there are others going through this; but at least we can work thru it together with everyone else struggling on this forum...there's plenty of people here who are so supportive so just keep sharing, it does help...