Notices

New here!

Old 03-18-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
WSB

Red face New here!

Hey all. I'm new here I'm 27 and my drinking has gotton to a point that it's affecting both my life my marriage and my work.

I've tried several times and different ways to control my drinking but always find a reason to go back to it. time to face up to the fact that my drinking does nothing to sort out life's problems and it's time to deal with them without trying to forget them in the bottom of beer.

My career means I am always around parties/gigs which are inevitably fuelled by alcohol and actually quite often alcohol is a part of my payment for the job. Inevitably also causing me to be in content situations that I'm coaxed (without much persuasion) into having 'just one drink' which never stops at one drink!

H
Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome WSB. You have found a great place.

You just described me when I first came here. I wanted to hold on to the idea that I could have 'a drink' now and then - but as you said, there's no such thing for us! All my attempts at moderating failed terribly. When I finally admitted I couldn't touch it, I was drinking 24/7 with a life in shambles. You are so much younger than I was - be proud of yourself for taking control and leaving that old life behind. You can do it! We all understand and want to help.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My goodness, I thought I had the corner on relaspe but nope. There are many of us who keep trying. Keep coming back.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think most of us here have tried moderating before we realized that it would not work. I'm glad you know it's time to stop drinking.

I'm not sure I could have succeeded in recovery being in a job like you have. I wasn't able to be around alcohol at all for many months. Hopefully you can find a way to deal with it.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxxxxx
Old 03-18-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, WSB; you have come to a great place for support. Congrats on recognizing a problem at such a young age; many if us wish we had done so.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by WSB View Post
My career means I am always around parties/gigs which are inevitably fuelled by alcohol and actually quite often alcohol is a part of my payment for the job.
I don't know what career you have, but at 27, perhaps it's time to insist that you get paid with "real" money...booze only pays the drinking bill.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Over time I've continued to attempt moderation, larfely because the industry I'm in also is a drinking culture and I wondered what the impact on my career would be to stop.

I finally decided my wife and daughter come first, if my career stalls because I don't have the social game any more I'd get a new job, i can't get a new life if I screw it up.
I was actually amazed at how accepting co-workers were, some noted they should do the same. My fears were completely unfounded and I realized it was just an excuse to keep up my old behavior.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi WSB - welcome

I was a gigging muso for many years - Carl's right in that playing for beer is a mugs game.

I know the pressures to drink in that kind of environment. I knew I had a problem but ai couldn't say no to a beer. I could have found sober support...I could have taken some time off to get myself together, maybe even go to rehab...but I didn't...I just kept on drinking...and I lost my career.

No matter how good you are noone wants to play with a guy who's too drunk to play from the second set, or even too drunk to make it the gig.

You have some big decisions to make WSB - but you're not alone here - you'll find tons of support
Old 03-18-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can quit drinking and live a better calmer life. But you have to want to stay sober more than you want to drink.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, I can imagine that your career makes it very difficult for you...you will find tons of support here, Ive learnt so much here already, its been my lifeline, without it Im sure I would have had a drink by now. Like others say youre young, dont wait until youve messed up your life and health before you choose sobriety...do it now" Youve come to the right place
Old 03-18-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 03-19-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
WSB

Thankyou so much everyone for the support!

I went to my first AA meeting today and I feel like I can do this though it's going to be a lot of work!

I definitely understand the thinking other people won't get it before even giving them a chance! So often I've told myself that I will lose people if I stop drinking but I guess I've realized if those people are only there as drinking buddies they aren't really real friends anyway!

Step by step!