SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   No alcohol but the sugar, ack! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/326114-no-alcohol-but-sugar-ack.html)

2bhappier 03-17-2014 08:52 AM

No alcohol but the sugar, ack!

I am finding it easier to not drink. That in itself is a miracle. But I keep eating sugar. I maintain a really healthy diet during the day but at night, when I was used to drinking, I find myself reaching for candy too often. So far my weight hasn't gone up (another miracle) but it is making me nervous. Should I just ride it out and the desire for sugar will go away over time? Not sure what to do. It makes me really worry.

SeaScape 03-17-2014 09:20 AM

Good day!

I can relate!

I have been 'riding it out' but keeping an eye on my new found love of candy.

Someone mentioned Haribo sweets in another post and I thought I had written the post :)

I have been working out, etc and watching my diet but I have to put something in my mouth when I am working at my computer that is not a glass of wine.

not sure that helps but I can relate!

countrysidegirl 03-17-2014 09:30 AM

Hi chill
I worked out , when i drink i drink cider and strong lager , a bottle say 2 litre contains 1000 calories lager between 300 @500
So when i drink ten cans that's nearly 3000 calories alone in the lager
Its scary
I'm needing sweets alot too i think my body us trying to get sugar that was in the booze
It would take alot of sweets to replace the drink calories
So chill, pat yourself on the back and tuck into that carrot cake !!!
Well done keep at it

cusper 03-17-2014 09:31 AM

Totally normal. I am not sure how long you have been off alcohol but I just ate whatever for about 6 weeks. Once I think I got the sober thing down for that length of time I started to cut back and now I think I have chocolate once a week. That coming from eating every cookie and treat in the house (there is always cookies because I have a child)
it's crazy how strong the cravings for sugar become after giving up alcohol!!!

countrysidegirl 03-17-2014 09:31 AM

I mentioned the haribo sweets lol

Michael66 03-17-2014 09:38 AM

Hi 2bhappier.

I had the same. It was chocolate for me. I decided to just let myself eat what I wanted for the first couple of months (I was pretty low) and it was only after I started to feel more comfortable without alcohol that I then dealt with my diet. Still, it was a little annoying that I gave up drinking a lot of beer and still managed to out on weight!

Well done for giving up alcohol!

totfit 03-17-2014 09:43 AM

It is quite ok to treat yourself with some sweets. Chocolate actually has some other good benefits. I am careful however to use these as a "treat" and not in quantities. There is likely some craving for sweets to replace the alcohol. The issue is that the cravings are very similar and sugar injected into your bloodsteam in quantities will mimic the rapid rise and crash in blood sugar associated with alcohol and can if not making you very uncomfortable in the least, make it more likely for relapse.

A balanced diet of complex carbs and proteins is the best thing to do for yourself to get leveled out and have the cravings go away. As long as you feed a "stray craving" it will stick with you till you stop. Exercise is also I think crucial if you want to speed up your recovery and balance out. I think it is crucial for mental health in the long run, not just physical health.

Forghetti35 03-17-2014 09:47 AM

Haha, be careful withharibo sweets! They are like laxitives on steroids. YouTube haribo sugar free gummy bears, or look at amazon reviews! LOL you can be on the toilet for most of the day with a handful.

What I eat from time to time is dark chocolate (% 75 cocoa and up). Its a very healthy chocolate. May take a week to adjust to the flavor, but once u do you nrver go back to milk chocolate, and dark chocolate is actually VERY GOOD for you.

toddle118 03-17-2014 09:55 AM

I can relate to this, Ive gained loads of weight (Im only 10 days sober). Ive eaten lots of chocolate, but still nowhere near the calories that I was getting from alcohol so I dont know why Ive suddenly bloated out. Is a mystery. Still, better than being drunk. It does worry me as I feel uncomfortable, but I really do crave sweet things, never used to :)

countrysidegirl 03-17-2014 10:27 AM

Don't think i have to worry about haribos I'm so bloody bunged up at the moment lack of drink makes me constipated so anything that can help with that is more than welcome !
Sorry peeps but you have to laugh what coming of booze can do lol

countrysidegirl 03-17-2014 10:28 AM

Toddle could it be water retention
?

toddle118 03-17-2014 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by countrysidegirl (Post 4533593)
Toddle could it be water retention
?

It could be, although Im not sure why? I was moaning on about this yesterday lol, so probably getting on everyones nerves now! lol...I have honestly never been this big, I look pregnant, my face has bloated out, initially the bloat went, now its back, this time i just look FAT :(

Oh well, Im bunged up too hehe, I think am going to invest in Haribos

:lmao

Paul123456 03-17-2014 10:49 AM

lol ive been on the sweets since I quit but im eating less now :) its not effected my weight as like the other poster I was also on the cider which was way more calories

toddle118 03-17-2014 10:53 AM

I was too! 6 litres a day! Thats why I dont understand it grrrr

:headbange

DG0409 03-17-2014 11:07 AM

I found that sugar cravings in early sobriety generally meant I had low blood sugar. I'd eat a healthy snack and have a glass of water or two and the craving would disappear within 10-20 minutes once my body had a few minutes to digest the food.

Personally, I don't think replacing sugar with alcohol is the healthiest thing, but I understand a lot of people do it. I tried to avoid sugar entirely in the early days and found within a couple of weeks the sugar cravings disappeared entirely.

Many people may not want to avoid sugar entirely, but for them I might recommend trying a healthy snack first, waiting a few minutes and then having a small sugary something if the craving persists.

countrysidegirl 03-17-2014 11:17 AM

Don't worry toddle your proberly bloated as your bunged up, nowt worse than that and that can make you bloat.
Once you go you will proberly deflate !
There's no way we can replace the cidre calories unless we are eating three or four big bars of chocolate im off the fags too so that makes you hungry so double whammy
Oh i don't care at least im 6 days off it , will get better
Toddle keep mr posted let me know if you deflate lol

toddle118 03-17-2014 11:20 AM

He he, i will! Wow, given up ciggies too? I couldnt do that yet, good on you! Am going to get some haribos and let you know if it helps!!

countrysidegirl 03-17-2014 11:27 AM

Haribos lol
I'm hoping a gentle run tommorow will help nowt worse than being bunged up
Good toddle keep in there
Yep I'm s right moody cow at the moment no cigs no booze only comfort coming on here and choccies

Kris47 03-17-2014 11:32 AM

I was doing the sugar thing, too. Still do once in awhile. I now try replacing that with some fruit and cut back on some of that too when I can.

gleefan 03-17-2014 12:07 PM

When I was drinking, I'd diet to save room for wine calories and work out hard to help get past hangovers.

In sobriety I've been fatigued and my muscles have been sore from workouts I used to do with ease. I've tried moderating my diet and exercise, but I've been as dismal a failure at that as I was at moderation of drinking.

If I skip a day of diet or exercise, I get off track, and stay there for a while. So instead, if I feel sore, I won't skip my workout; I'll do something gentle. For me, carving out the time to take care of myself begets more healthy decisions throughout the day.

I know I need to quit sugar if I want to drop weight. I'm going to urge surf my sweets cravings. I hope it works. Dg's advice is spot on, as usual, for me. :)