Notices

New life...same Demons

Old 03-16-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New life...same Demons

I made a vow to myself to never drink alcohol again as of November 2nd 2013. Today I have drank a handful of times including today. What is different about today is that I am currently back on my antidepressants. I discontinued my lexapro June of 2013 and went back on my my medication because of depression symptoms 2 weeks ago. I feel more in control of my life but alcoholism seems to seep in. How can I contain my alcoholism but maintain my depression? The more I continue the medication the more I want to drink. Anyone else experience this?
Old 03-16-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did not have an experience like that.

In fact, I had to get my depression treated before I could stop drinking and recover.

Have you asked your dr if there is an option of trying a different antidepressant?
Old 03-16-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Wow, that seems so backwards.

Have you talked to your doctor about this yet?
Old 03-16-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anti-depressants change the way your body metabolizes alcohol. The typical response is becoming hyper-sensitive to alcohol, but some people react the complete opposite. It's a known side effect (specifically to SNRIs) for normal light drinkers to actually develop a severe alcohol problem as a result of being on the anti-depressants.

I've been on anti-depressants for a long time. I had that same problem when I switched to Effexor and everyone I know who has taken it has had the same reaction (going from light drinker to heavy uncontrolled drinking sometime between 3-6 months after stabilizing their dose).

Your best (and really only) option is to discuss the changes with your psychiatrist.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I would consult my doctor xxxx
Old 03-17-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, do talk to your doctor about this. Perhaps you can try a different antiD to see if it helps without making you feel like drinking.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is interesting. I have been on anti depressants (cipralex) for 12 years now, and in that time my drinking has increased hugely, may be a coincidence but I found the urge to drink really increased....Perhaps a change in meds for you, like other posters say? Ive tried them all and this is the only one that worked, will be mindful of this when the old AV rears its ugly head!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dogged14 View Post
I've been on anti-depressants for a long time. I had that same problem when I switched to Effexor and everyone I know who has taken it has had the same reaction (going from light drinker to heavy uncontrolled drinking sometime between 3-6 months after stabilizing their dose).
Wowmthis is exactly what happened to me about 6 months later. All my doc did was suggest i try lexapro instead. I went off everything completely. Coming off Effexor was very scary.