Notices

Quitting pot (and alcohol) for good

Old 04-24-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

My plan worked: I went to bed 10 pm and woke up 9 am. Slept like a baby.

Day 78.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

WOW - now that's a sleep - good for you, bud !!! I'm sure it'll really help! Have a good day, today !
Old 04-24-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Thanks HC, you too have a nice day!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by brazilian View Post
My plan worked: I went to bed 10 pm and woke up 9 am. Slept like a baby.

Day 78.
Glad you are getting a good sleep my friend, it certainly helps to heal like you rightfully pointed out. I have always been a big sleeper but since getting sober I find myself awake and out walking the dog in the small hours, insomnia is one of the worst aspects of sobriety in my opinion, but hey the 🐶 loves the extra walks.
Take care guys, love your posts.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

oh yea i forgot i had a dream that i drank last night, and woke up and thought it was real. pretty scary.

i remember having this problem when i quit weed before..suprisingly i havent had any dreams like that for weed although im sure they'll be coming.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

im gonna try to goto bed at 10pm tonight and see what happens. it would be the first time i pass out that early in years give or take 1 or 2 times.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

ok still not in bed.

day 25 no maryjane though so happy. rapidly approaching my 3 month mark of no alcohol.

so another 3 months and my body is going to start being normal? lol
Old 04-25-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

even try and have catnaps during the day if you feel tired - even 30-45 minutes does wonders, krete. Grab it when you can because sleep and even catnaps are very important for healing and feeling better. Are you doing any type of exercise? How about a good solid walk in the evening - that may help you sleep ?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Today, mates ! I read a post this morning that really resonated with me and I just wanted to share my way of looking at it - it may not be for anyone else here, but at least I thought I'd share my point of view. Everyone knows what will work for them and I personally, am always open to at least listening and I have learnt a lot from others that way. Anyways, here's the quote :

"A book called give up drink easily states do not count days as its almost like a goal and try to think that simply I no longer drink, it also says do not try to not think of drinking as you will and accept the thoughts will be there for a while so dont fear them"

I think the reason this post resonated with me was because when I quit smoking cigarettes, that's exactly what I did. I counted and kept my focus on quitting for 30 days and kept saying to myself, I was now a NON- smoker. When people asked me to go for a smoke, I just said "I don't smoke anymore". And after the first 30 days, I was really over it and really never gave it much thought after that. It's one of the main reasons I never felt AA or NA was a good fit for me - I believe you get over an addiction and move on with your Life, not adopt another identity that you're supposed to be til you die ! Never fit my thinking anyways. It's funny because the last couple of days since I've reached 30 days, I have noticed the feeling of " I don't need to focus on this "quitting" so much now - time to move on and get on with other changes in your life". I can see myself coming here less and less as time goes on - maybe just checking in once and awhile to say HI ! I think all these thoughts go back to that quote I posted and said so well how I see things and how I'm feeling currently. Anyways, like I also said, everyone is unique and needs to find the best fit for them-I just wanted to share my thoughts with you guys.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Day 79.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

I was thinking of the "real" triggers that made me use and I came up these:
1. a sense/feeling of overwhelm
2.a sense/feeling of helplessness
3.a sense of feeling "trapped" in some way - in some kind of situation

I realize now, I need to work on resolving these areas in order to stay healthy and move my life forward. Another "share" for the day with my good friends here !
Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

I think counting days is interesting because it gives a idea of progress.

Also, it supports the "one day at a time" concept.

When I was on the "never again" mind, would make sense stop counting days.

But now that I'm craving everyday, thinking about relapsing all the time, counting days helps a little... helps me remember all the days I'll toss on the trash if I slip.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Like I said Brazilian, we all have highly unique mental conditioning, so ONLY you know what works best for you and feels right inside. I'm happy that counting is helping in lessening the desire to ACT on those thoughts of relapse !!! What else do you think you can do to lessen those thoughts? Always remember, those thoughts are just thoughts with NO arms to pick up - ONLY You have that power !!!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

^ yea i would say that keeping count is keeping me from relapsing bigtime.

sorry youre having such a hard thinking about relapsing all the time.

i cant offer any advice because im in he same boat, but id say just keep staying sober is the best thing u can do right now. anything but drinking or smoking.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happycampers View Post
Today, mates ! I read a post this morning that really resonated with me and I just wanted to share my way of looking at it - it may not be for anyone else here, but at least I thought I'd share my point of view. Everyone knows what will work for them and I personally, am always open to at least listening and I have learnt a lot from others that way. Anyways, here's the quote :

"A book called give up drink easily states do not count days as its almost like a goal and try to think that simply I no longer drink, it also says do not try to not think of drinking as you will and accept the thoughts will be there for a while so dont fear them"

I think the reason this post resonated with me was because when I quit smoking cigarettes, that's exactly what I did. I counted and kept my focus on quitting for 30 days and kept saying to myself, I was now a NON- smoker. When people asked me to go for a smoke, I just said "I don't smoke anymore". And after the first 30 days, I was really over it and really never gave it much thought after that. It's one of the main reasons I never felt AA or NA was a good fit for me - I believe you get over an addiction and move on with your Life, not adopt another identity that you're supposed to be til you die ! Never fit my thinking anyways. It's funny because the last couple of days since I've reached 30 days, I have noticed the feeling of " I don't need to focus on this "quitting" so much now - time to move on and get on with other changes in your life". I can see myself coming here less and less as time goes on - maybe just checking in once and awhile to say HI ! I think all these thoughts go back to that quote I posted and said so well how I see things and how I'm feeling currently. Anyways, like I also said, everyone is unique and needs to find the best fit for them-I just wanted to share my thoughts with you guys.
Good post. Brought back memories of when I quit smoking as well. at one point I just decided after seeing an Xray of my Grandmother's lungs. She died back in 2008 from emphysema. It was difficult to quit but after around 20-30 days I didn't need to focus on quitting anymore; I was a non-smoker, as simple as that.

My last stint at sobriety was 9 months. That was last year after 20 years of hard, daily drinking. There did come a point where I wasn't focused on quitting either. I simply didn't drink. No AA or any other programs, just decided. For me, at that point drinking really wasn't in my focus anymore.

But then came social settings where I thought I could moderate my intake. Just one beer while on a boat with family friends who also drink (by the way I never told these friends of my addiction). That one beer turned into me being at day one again this past Tuesday. This time, I want the feeling of "I just don't drink" back for good.

I guess my point echo's yours Happy in that everyone is unique and needs to find what works for them.

Thanks for the post, it helped me today. Brought back some good memories of how I felt last time I was clean.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

For me, when I quit smoking, I KNEW if I had one at ANYTIME, I'd be right back at it again, only to turn around and hate myself again for starting and having to go through the process of quitting AGAIN ! That idea sucked, so I used to say to myself and still do if the thought ever comes, which it rarely does , that " I wouldn't even DREAM of having a smoke now - no way ! You'd have to tie me down and force it into my mouth !!!" So, I've taken the same approach with my past pot habit. " NOT A CHANCE !!! Not even one puff ! Or I KNOW I'll be right back at it in no time !! And I'm not willing to hate myself again for relapsing and having to go through all this BS. quitting AGAIN ! I'm out of the hole, I'm STAYING OUT !". I've got better things to do now with my Life ! There's a reason we're here and living in a fog is NOT it ! Time to get at it !
Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Another thing I used to say was that quitting cigarettes was the BEST decision I ever made ! Well, now that's gotten demoted down to the second best decision I ever made. The BEST decision I ever made now is QUITTNG Pot , no doubt about it !
Old 04-25-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Slightly off topic but I noticed in your signature Krete that you've had a week off of caffeiene as well? I don't want to intrude on the thread by talking about caffiene but I'm intrigued as to how that's going for ya ? I've been thinking of giving it up for a little while as well. Do you feel any different? More/less energy?

Also well done for staying off the booze and reefer - keep it up everyone!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happycampers View Post
Another thing I used to say was that quitting cigarettes was the BEST decision I ever made ! Well, now that's gotten demoted down to the second best decision I ever made. The BEST decision I ever made now is QUITTNG Pot , no doubt about it !
Very happy to hear you're doing so well HC, it's been a while since I last checked in this thread but it's nice to see you've managed to stay off the pot!

I've been thinking about having a spliff at some point, but have no concrete plans to and think in reality I wouldn't. But I can't help myself about fantasising about being stoned! It's stupid cos there's really nothing great about being stoned anyway! I suppose thoughts of relapse are natural it's just how we act on them that counts
Old 04-25-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Well, this is my 3rd time "quitting forever"... 1st time stayed clean for 6 years, 2nd time was 9 months... both times I was sure I was never going to smoke/drink ever again... but I did. So I think is easier said than done.