Notices

Back and trying to get sober again

Old 03-15-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back and trying to get sober again

Hey guys, I used to come here a while ago (but can't remember the name I used). Anyway, I was sober for almost 8 months and then one stupid little thing set me off a couple of weeks ago and its been downhill ever since.

I have done AA and it didn't work, I have tried doing it alone and it didn't work. I am willing to do anything to get and stay sober otherwise I don't see a bright future for myself or a future at all for that matter. I have been drinking for 21 years and been trying to quit for the last 6 years, about time I make it happen. I am looking forward to getting to know some of you.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back. So AA didn't work for you? Did you work the steps of the program? Did you get a sponsor? Did you ask for numbers to call when you felt the urge to drink?

Something kept you sober for 8 months. Find that again and add to it and work it like your life depends on it, cause it does!
Old 03-16-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back.
It can be tough to get sober alone. I come here often and post away.
I attended AA and I learned there were others like me, just like these forums. I didn't know that. I thought I was doomed to suffer alone.

You had eight months, what did you do to stay sober? Eight months is great. I relapsed for years myself, but it's been over three years since I've had a drink. You can do it, too. You have to be willing and have an open mind I've found.

Best to you.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

They only have to work once.

There are no guarantees- but it is worth it

I could not see what I was doing wrong until I stopped "doing" and just accepted whatever happened in my mind or body- Freedom came a short time after that, even though I was in discomfort
Old 03-16-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ya know, I think its time we start listening. I as well. I know I let my ego get in the way every time thinking "I'm well". AA isn't for everyone. Check this board out. There are other options. The only option we don't have is to "drink" I'm finding out.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I did AA before too and it didn't work for me either, but the reality was simply that I wasn't ready to quit.

After things getting even worse, I knew I didn't want to go back to AA so I checked myself into out patient treatment. It has been amazing. Part of IOP is attendance of AA and we discuss some of the steps in treatment. What a difference this time around. I'm loving AA, got a sponsor this time, have a totally open mind, am accepting the help and support, and even call people now.

That is just my experience. Good luck - there is always hope.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome back, Donya xxxx