Notices

Sober Anxiety

Old 03-15-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To be content

Sober Anxiety

I am normally an anxious person and did turn to alcohol to calm my nerves and relax. It always felt good and worked until the next morning. Then I would go into a spiral of feeling out of control, more anxious than I was before, and would spend the next night drinking again to calm my nerves from drinking the night before. This cycle I never really paid attention to or understood how I was handling my fear and anxiety.
I am currently on a path to a new career and finishing grad school, yet I never felt so insecure, over emotional, and anxious. Over the years the affects of my habits started to interfere with the goals I wanted to achieve and I realized every time I was facing my grad project, bowling, concerts, hanging with friends I wanted drink after drink to calm my social anxiety down. The feeling to get another drink was intense. Often times I would even ignore a conversation, or a popular song at a concert, just to go get another one. I know I can be a fun person without the alcohol, but it has been a long time since I have tried to enjoy an event without it. I once enjoyed having a few good ones and now it has turned into a risky night and mornings of misery, anxiety and depression. I have not had a DUI, but do not know how I have drank excessively so many years and not received one. This has made me feel ashamed and out of control. I think the most frustrating thing about drinking for me is my lack of control and the lack of responsibility.
I am a half month sober, but have had two panic attacks. It usually occurs when I have felt dizzy and have shallow breathing, which leaves me crying and fighting for air. I have been eating well maybe too much Ben and Jerry's double fudge and endless diet soda, and tea, but that has helped me fight some of the urges along with regular exercise. I realize this is long, but needed to write this out. If you are reading this and have been through anxiety attacks could you give me advice or your own strategies on minimizing anxiety in the early stages of sobriety. I do take a low dose of Citalopram and multi-vitamin, so I feel like I am doing what I can do to avoid them. Wish you all the best in your own recovery.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Compass I definitely relate to your story. I started on the bottle about 20 years ago and the past 5 years the devil hooch turned on me and it hasn't been that fun. I've been in and out of AA the last couple of years. Long story short one of the big decisions that I've made to get sober was the anxiety. I would drink heavily the night before work and end up spending most of the morning calming my nerves with ice water. I'm on Day 5 and take one day at a time. I actually was feeling kind of anxious today because of a few things on my mind. I know you mentioned Citalopram but you might want to try St. John's Wart which is a natural supplement. It has helped with my anxiety. I also find that hot showers and exercise help. Hope you have a good one!
Old 03-15-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I pray, take time outs, listen to calm music, try to constantly remind myself in all situations that it is what it is,
I try to lower my expectations.

I also remind myself that God has a plan for my life and I may not always understand what that is and to trust him.

I put one step in front of the other. Take one task at a time.

I remember the things I am grateful for and try not to worry or project.

I try not to speak negativity into my life. I try not to say things like I can't, I'll never be able to, what if this happens?

One day at a time. All we have is now, It is always now. I stay out of the past.
It's gone, can't change it.

I Just try to do the next right thing today.

Try to relax and breathe, talk it out with someone. If it persists to where you feel like you can not function, talk to your doctor.

Hope you feel better soon

Also this video is really helpful for relaxing, Waves in Hawaii, I turn the lights out, lay down and maximize the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Nt8uPwtgo

Last edited by deeker; 03-15-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: add on
Old 03-15-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im really sorry you are going through this, I had terrible anxiety attacks in my past, they went eventually but at the time I used to get so frightened and thought I was going mad. Like every emotion they do go, thats what I held on to. I tried to distract myself, go for a walk, put on a favourite dvd, but really I just had to take deep breathes and repeat to myself this will pass, they always do. As you know alcohol will ultimately make things worse, but you know that. I would lay off any caffeine, coke etc, chamomile tea and calming drinks do help (may be psychological but I found it helped). Plenty of b vitamins helped me also. I would go back to the dr when you can. Post on here as much as you want, the people on here are wonderful and very kind. Take care, try not to worry dear, things do get better. We are all stronger than we think

Old 03-15-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To be content

Yes I had no idea that sobriety would make me feel like I was going mad, just like the drinking excessively made me feel mad. Anxiety attacks are crazy and make me feel week. Thank you for your kind words of advice and experiences, it really does help having people to relate to and understand the transition better. I have avoided caffeine and I will definitely enjoy the waves of Hawaii Deeker. You are all so kind
Old 03-15-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate - I turned to booze to handle my anxiety and it worked extremely well. Unfortunately I drank so heavily that I became an alcoholic and nearly died from abuse.

Getting sober is tough, because we become so reliant on alcohol over time that we have no idea how to cope with anxiety sober. I also have had panic attacks (mostly during my drinking days) and they are the worst thing ever. I have noticed that taking a B12 supplement helps. Also, it's good to try and socialize regularly so that you can "stay out of your own head" if that makes sense. If you can start small, like coffee shops, etc, and then slowly build up to bigger events, that's worked best. Watch your blood sugar - I keep lots of bananas and pineapple, etc around. I avoid bread, red meat, and heavy, greasy food - instead I eat fish, beans, rice, salads, stir fry, yogurt, etc. Try to avoid situations like Hunger, Anger, Lonely, Tired (HALT) if possible.

Most importantly - what makes you happy? Try and do more of that. Avoid depression at all costs. Think about it: have you ever had a panic attack when you are happy? Do what makes you happy.

Going back to booze certainly is the biggest mistake. It gets better. I'm 20 months sober and have improved quite a bit.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Compass, congrats on your sobriety. Many of us ended up as problem drinkers or addicts because we initially used alcohol to self-medicate anxiety - myself included. In my experience it gets less effective with time and makes the anxiety worse, let alone the many other negative side effects.

You mentioned you drink a lot of diet soda - many of these beverages contain the artificial sweetener aspartame that is known to cause a host of problems in some people, it's worth reading up on it online if you have not done so yet. I had an extremely unpleasant experience with aspartame in the past and was very lucky I'd found out the cause. It affects the nervous system; for me it also made my anxiety much worse with the most terrible panic attacks on a daily basis. If you like sodas for the stimulant effect, I rather recommend coffee, tea, yerba mate or other natural caffeinated beverages.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To be content

Yes Haennie I hear what you are saying about diet soda. I do not particularly enjoy soda just trying replace the oral fixation of having an alcoholic drink. I do drink quite a bit of decaf tea and fizzy waters so I will stick to those from now on. Thank you for letting me know about the aspartame.

Big Sombrero - I do take a B complex too and definitely eat a lot of fruit, yogurt, veggies, beans, fish and chicken. I try to minimize the sugars. The ice cream and dark chocolate I do break out when I have the strong urges for drinking.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by comtnman740 View Post
Hi Compass I definitely relate to your story. I started on the bottle about 20 years ago and the past 5 years the devil hooch turned on me and it hasn't been that fun. I've been in and out of AA the last couple of years. Long story short one of the big decisions that I've made to get sober was the anxiety. I would drink heavily the night before work and end up spending most of the morning calming my nerves with ice water. I'm on Day 5 and take one day at a time. I actually was feeling kind of anxious today because of a few things on my mind. I know you mentioned Citalopram but you might want to try St. John's Wart which is a natural supplement. It has helped with my anxiety. I also find that hot showers and exercise help. Hope you have a good one!
Hi Compass, Comtman, quick medical catch here - Citalopram is an anti-D in the SSRI class and should NOT be taken with St John's Wort as it can cause seratonin syndrome. Can be fatal, BIG no no.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drank to calm anxiety and it made me more anxious than ever. I see a counselor, which helps, and take Depakote for it, which helps now that I'm sober. Getting sober was the biggest thing that got rid of my anxiety. I used to drink in the morning to make last night's drinking-fueled anxiety go away.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To be content

Thank you Shoshie for your knowledge and post. I have already tried St John's Wort before taking the Citalopram. I did not think that the St. John's Wort worked for me and is why I switched. I only take the Cital and a B complex which I know are safe together.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One way and maybe really the only way is to face it and not fear it.

For example - if you are having a feeling of anxiety and don't feel like leaving your house then what you do is embrace whatever weird sensations you are feeling accept them then immediately get up and say you don't give a **** and go for a walk. If you feel uncomfortable keep going. If you get a more bad feelings or sensations keep going. Face and beat the fear.

I guarantee your head will clear somewhat.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There's a really good hazelden book called 'Of course you're anxious' which has some great tips in it.

Personally the important thing for me has been to make friends with my anxiety. It sometimes has its uses, and I know it's not gonna kill me like the booze will. I find herbal tea and long walks help when I am really anxious. There is also this yogic breathing exercise I do where you breath in 4 and out 6. That helps calm me down some.

Hope you find something which helps you x
Old 03-15-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Compass7 View Post
Thank you Shoshie for your knowledge and post. I have already tried St John's Wort before taking the Citalopram. I did not think that the St. John's Wort worked for me and is why I switched. I only take the Cital and a B complex which I know are safe together.
You're welcome, Compass. I don't want to cut across the no medical advice rules but do stay close to your doc about all of this; Cital one of many prescribing options, so take heart and go back if you're not seeing an improvement or your anxiety is worsening. x