SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Trying again (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/325914-trying-again.html)

OBXNC77 03-15-2014 09:19 AM

Trying again

I need to get sober. I tried this last year and only lasted a few weeks. This may sound familiar...my drinking buddies say I don't have a problem, I don't understand how other people stop at one or two drinks when I crave alcohol after one and the next day I need damage control to cover up the stupid things I did and said. This has been going on for 20 years.

I didn’t drink daily but about every other day or so during the week and really binged on the weekends! Unfortunately my house is the party house on our street. With the weather warming people are already asking about first spring party. Most people want to keep me the life of the party. I’ve been sober for two weeks and already feeling better. I hope to use SR to get me to a better place and looking for support.

jakec 03-15-2014 09:35 AM

If you think you have a problem, you probably do.

When I was sniffing pills every day, shooting dope, getting blackout drunk, and going to jail, my "moderate pot-smoking/casual drinking friends" told me that I'm not an addict, I just have no willpower and that I'm choosing to mess up my life. I let that keep me using for awhile and I could have avoided a lot of pain and misery by listening to my gut.

Keep coming here for support. Maybe check out AA? You might find it beneficial. I know a lot of people in the program who go awhile without drinking and then binge.

Don't let anyone's opinion disqualify you from sobriety.

Ghostlight1 03-15-2014 10:55 AM

Hello, and welcome.
None of my buddies thought I had a drinking problem, either. Until it progressed to the point where I was drinking every day, all day. Basicaly, everyone knew I was a drunk.
I could never figure out how people can have one or two either. What's the point? I drank to get drunk.
I was, by then, the life of the party until I ruined it.

Congratulations on two weeks. Keep it up and remeber, you never have to drink again.

Hevyn 03-15-2014 11:10 AM

Welcome to SR. OBX - it's great that you found us. You're no longer alone - there's always someone here to talk things over with.

Congratulations on your two weeks - something to be proud of. :)

KateL 03-15-2014 12:04 PM

Welcome xxxx

Anna 03-15-2014 01:51 PM

The important thing is what you want for yourself and your life. What your drinking buddies want for you is not important.

Dee74 03-15-2014 03:27 PM

Welcome to SR OBXNC77 :)

D

MIRecovery 03-15-2014 03:34 PM

I would consider some new friends and a different place to live. We only have to change one thing EVERYTHING

SeaScape 03-15-2014 03:35 PM

Welcome :) your health will thank you if you go sober. consider some new hobbies - i work out during happy hour or i go shopping!

least 03-15-2014 04:21 PM

Welcome! Congrats on two weeks sober. :) I'd be sure to make it widely known that your house is no longer the "party house". Let them party elsewhere. :)

OBXNC77 03-15-2014 07:23 PM

Thanks all! It was very hard not to drink today. I kept myself busy by cleaning out the garage and did yardwork. At one point in the afternoon I realized the old me would have been starting his second 6 pack by now.