Notices

Still Find Myself Struggling

Old 03-14-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still Find Myself Struggling

I found this site and I'm very relieved; I still find myself struggling. Before it all started with smoking the green and than shortly afterwards I got addicted to pain pills. My ex boyfriend introduced me to them and I still think back and wish I never tried them. Now I still find myself struggling and wanting to use again, anytime I know there's pain pills in the house.... I find myself looking for them and wanting to use them. When I was younger I saw a lot of my family members who were addicted to drugs and had a hard time getting off of them. Never did I think this would ever happen to me but now it's happening... Right now I find myself very lost and confused, but I'm truly blessed that there's a Forum like this that exists.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Well, now is a good time to turn the car around and head in the other direction. I got addicted to weed for 22 years and am only 13 days off it. I also got dependent on opiates for a while. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It's serious! But you can totally do it. I know the endless searching of the house. I found that accepting there was going to be no more was SO hard but I had to totally give in to the acceptance and prepare myself for the bumpy ride.

Like you said, if you could go back you'd never have started taking them. You don't want to be saying years from now, "if I could go back I'd have stopped taking them then". It'll be easier to do it now.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi blueweepingrose, welcome to SR; you'll find lots of inspiration and support here. Can I ask why you have pain pills in the house? If they belong to another person, ask them to hide them from you, if they're yours you are endangering your recovery, so please dispose of them.
Have you talked to your doctor or a counsellor, maybe even a help line so you're not doing this on your own?
I gave up alcohol and it's naturally to crave for your DOC. Try to come up with some strategies for coping with cravings. Relaxation exercises like deep breathing are great, as well as distracting yourself until the urge passes. I promise you the urges will recede over time and you will become stronger and more confident.
Don't give up will you? It's hard now, but this time won't go on forever.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Blueweepingrose I hope you have a good time here and continue the fight. Everyone is here to help you.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Hi blueweepingrose, welcome to SR; you'll find lots of inspiration and support here. Can I ask why you have pain pills in the house? If they belong to another person, ask them to hide them from you, if they're yours you are endangering your recovery, so please dispose of them.
Have you talked to your doctor or a counsellor, maybe even a help line so you're not doing this on your own?
I gave up alcohol and it's naturally to crave for your DOC. Try to come up with some strategies for coping with cravings. Relaxation exercises like deep breathing are great, as well as distracting yourself until the urge passes. I promise you the urges will recede over time and you will become stronger and more confident.
Don't give up will you? It's hard now, but this time won't go on forever.
They belong to somebody else and I plan on telling my mother to hide them so they're out of my reach. Anytime I feel horrible, I feel like coping with it by taking pills and I know this isn't the best route to go down. Plan on telling my therapist when I go to see her. Thanks for the warm Welcomes.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Good for you for planning on telling your mother. Perhaps you can talk about your feelings with her? I find that letting them out helps more than anything. I used to randomly take any pills I found in the cabinet. Was very strange and I'm not sure why I did it. Felt quite distant and neglected by mother and figured pills were supposed to "help" people. It's not harmless though, addiction is so much worse than any of the feelings I was trying to escape from.