Notices

Trying to go Sober

Old 03-14-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to go Sober

Hi

Last year I stopped drinking for 3 months. It was the only time I'd stopped for longer than a week in 30 years of binge drinking. I relapsed in April and didn't stop again until November - this time going on the wagon for 7 weeks. Today I decided to give it another go after suffering one of those delirium hangovers last weekend. But, also, I think I might be starting to realise that drinking has made my life a mess (I've always known this but in the past I've usually found other things to blame). When sober I'm a quite a capable fellow (or so people have told me). But, for me to be sober doesn't just mean not drinking through the week as the attack on my nervous system takes it that long to recover. I'm posting here now because it's weekend and I can feel the pull of the pub. I guess I'm looking for all the help and encouragement I can get to keep strong.
Thanks for reading.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, mal! Lean on SR for support - this place has helped me through 4.5 months of sober ups and downs, it works! We're here and definitely understand what you're going through.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of support here Malcoholic - I';m really glad you've found us.

Can you plan some non drinking things to do this weekend?

D
Old 03-14-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope we can help you stop drinking for good. There's so much support here. Read and post any time you feel like drinking.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good to have you here - alcohol had a terrible and lasting effect on my nervous system as well. The good news is that you can start working on that and improving things with sobriety. Do you have any plan in mind to quit? Do you have any support, or are you just going this one alone?
Old 03-15-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome.
I had periods of sobriety before I managed to quit, too. They never lasted long.- three days, a week, just until my system felt better enough to go on another binge.
This led to every day drinking because it's progressive and the binges got closer and closer together.

You've had periods of sobriety. What did you do to stay sober? The horrors of the next hangover are what led me to quit. I always have them in the back of my mind so I don't forget the misery I went through.

Best to you in your efforts to quit. Many of us here have quit and you can too.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome. Keep posting here and that'll keep you our of the pub xxxx
Old 03-15-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It sounds like you might be coming to your senses, and have a shot at making some positive change. It may not happen overnight, but you are thinking about doing it, and contemplation can lead to action.

Maybe give it another try, like a test run of sobering up, call it "dipping the toe in the pool". No need to sign anything in blood or anything, just tentative exploration, see if it's manageable. If you're ready, one day can lead to another, and maybe you see momentum build up and you end up making a really worthwhile change you weren't sure you could even accomplish in the beginning.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations with getting honest with yourself about your drinking, that's a big step, ask those that know. In my observations over the years denial about ones drinking is the #1 obstacle alcoholics face when starting to become sober. Boy do I know that one!
I needed a lot of face to face meetings with people who understood and gave personal support. It also involved getting rid of old invalid ideas and avoiding old drinking routines like playing darts in a bar etc.
It will get better then, the next step follows to help us remain sober and comfortable in our own skin.

BE WELL
Old 03-16-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the welcome and support.

Hopefully I can stay strong and keep out of the pub. Yesterday was quite difficult as a friend of mine turned up from NI wondering if I fancied a pint. I almost said yes but held out in the end. Your messages and attention helped a lot.

Cheers!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Friend-

As you are well aware by now, there is no "try." There is only do, or do not. Realize this, and you will gain strength. Focus on this day and this day only and sobriety won't feel so hard.

I'll be praying for you