Notices

and then the family leaves

Old 03-14-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

and then the family leaves

Well, two weeks ago, my entire family sat me down and had an " intervention", you know one of those things where they tell you need help. Well, the caveat to me not getting help was they would be " cutting me off" and they would not be having any further contact with me.

Well after that meeting I did well for around 8 days and then blew up on the 9th day, both drank and gambled 2 prohibited behaviors during the intervention.

Now I am stuck, they found out, not sure how. I assume I am not as sly as I think I am, and this morning I got the call my parents call and say, " we're disappointed in you, you aren't really trying! and as good parents we must ask you don't have contact with us anymore, until you are completely sober and the like".

I still have my immediate family here, and the bills are paid, and I got to work every day, but now I feel like I've been abandon. My wife was supposed to be part of the " intervention", but she fought for me and said this time he really is giving it a go and slipped up.

But really, where do I go from here, obviously I have a problem, I've been doing AA, I come on here daily and have sought counseling and am taking antidepressants. I am trying hard, very hard, more than ever, but one mistake and done! Just venting, nothing I can do now, but keep trying and maybe regain their favor on a future date.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can kick stones down the road all day long, but I hope you are planning a major overhaul. Good luck in getting a plan together, you can get out of this. All the best, you can do it buddy.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

But really, where do I go from here, obviously I have a problem, I've been doing AA, I come on here daily and have sought counseling and am taking antidepressants.
I dunno. What made you drink again do you think?

If I may be blunt - The way you know when you're doing enough for your recovery is when you stop reaching for the bottle.

What does 'doing AA' mean for you?...meetings? do you have a sponsor?

what kinds of things have you discussed in counselling...do you think you need more counselling? or a different kind of counselling?

how long have you been taking antidepressants? they take a while to bed in and they won't work right if you drink on them...

I'm asking rhetorical questions here - I don; need to know the answer but only you know if you have enough support and if you're using it right.

Having the support is one thing - using it is another, y'know?

I feel you I really do. I felt abandoned too at various times - but the reality is I'd abandoned my loved ones long ago for the bottle.

You're lucky your wife is sticking by you - don't let her or yourself down, thatdeliveryguy

D
Old 03-14-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you considered Inpatient for 90 days or more?
Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Put as much effort into sobriety as you put into drinking. That might help.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you accepted that drinking is no longer an option? Don't focus your energy on feeling abandoned by your family. They are doing what they need to do. Your job is to stop drinking and recover. You can do it.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree- your family is doing what they're doing for their own survival and well being. Let this be a wake up call. You have to change.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are "doing" AA. What does that mean?

Have you read the big book?

Have you read the 12x12?

Do you have a list of members phone numbers? Have you used any of them?

Do you have a sponsor?

What step are you on?

What did you do in AA yesterday?

How many meetings do you go to each week?
Old 03-14-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

deliveryguy, why are you surprised by your family's actions? They told you what would happen and now they are following through. When you caved and drank and gambled, you also gambled on them forgiving you once again.
You are harming your loved ones and your loyal wife. ATM your wife is standing by you, but she may not be around forever.