Notices

I miss wine!

Old 03-14-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I miss wine!

I know this is stupid and that is why I am coming on here to vent so that I just think something stupid instead of doing something stupid. It has been a rough week and I miss just getting drunk by myself and shutting the world out. It's Friday night and I live in a building full of addicts that just got a check from the government... I just need to pull myself out of this mindset. Drinking will only bring me pain and regret.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe it's not wine you're looking for but respite.
I think it comes down to finding other healthier ways to finding that respite.

Meditation can help, or exercise - volunteering was also great for me - I forgot about my own troubles by helping others with theirs.

Some of us 'government cheque folks' do our best to give something back

D
Old 03-14-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Can you get out to an AA meeting?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Congrats on recognizing what is going on with you before you picked up a drink!

Do you have any plans for the weekend?
Old 03-14-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think you are right about me missing respite. I am going out for dinner soon with my dad so hopefully that will help. I am usually better at dealing with my desire to drink. I'm going to stay close to SR tonight. Thanks for the support. AA isn't for me at this time.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have a nice dinner with your Dad, flying. We are here for you.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I first got sober I missed wine. I missed drinking, being comfortably numb... but now the very smell, even the thought of wine makes me sick. I'm so happy living sober I can't imagine drinking again.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wine was my drink of choice. Having a bad day... Drink. Having a good day....drink. Anyone interrupting my drinking pattern like a teenager wanting to be picked up from a late night party...anger. The longer I am sober I realise that all of the above still happens, good days, bad days, pesky teenagers but because I am not drinking life is easier if I am not trying to cope with a stinking hangover and guilt.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, wine for me too, lots and lots of it. So much that after 26 days I still haven't had a full day of feeling physically good. Don't want to start this over again. Lots of invites this weekend, I think I will be tucked in early trying to heal. Hang in from another wine "enthusiast"
Old 03-14-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'll hang my hat on the wine hook, as well. I agree, it's been a hard week...and don't think drinking didn't cross my mind...then I realized it would he a whole lot harder if I went down that path.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are not alone, flying. I hope dinner fills the void and that tomorrow will be a better day!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Flying, I am right there with you. I have almost six months sober and it has been a long time since I have pined for my wine, but I have tonight. I won a big basket of chocolate at a silent auction tonight. (one of the few baskets that didn't have a bottle of wine in it) So, I am chomping on chocolate instead of sipping my poison. We'll both be happy tomorrow that we didn't give in to temporary weakness and false promise!!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I still sometimes miss wine too after almost 2 years...it was my passion for a very long time. However, I also miss my deceased cat, my youth and a number of other things I will never see or experience again...if I thought I could drink wine again and honestly enjoy it as I once did I might consider it but I know I won't!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone. The dinner out did help, and then I went to pick up some items that have been a great help to my sobriety in the past six months: a new flavour of tea to try, a soft blanket, a scented candle, and a new shade of nail polish. I try to replace my drinking with little luxuries, relationships with others, and pleasant experiences. Spending so much time drinking wine alone was very isolating. Now I can nurture my relationships with all the time and energy I spent drinking and nursing my many hangovers. I enjoyed hours of conversation with my Dad tonight and I feel so loved by my family these days. I think now I will take a warm bubble bath, light my candle, get into some cozy pjs and enjoy the last bit of the night before sleep washes over me.

I am so grateful for this forum it is one of the best tools I have for staying sober.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm so happy things went well, Flying. Have a beautiful evening.