Notices

Tipped over the edge!

Old 03-14-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

liss ~ There is some awesome advice here. And a lot of people who care.
Please use your support network.

Love you very much,

V xx
Old 03-14-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

liss,

Sounds like you need a change on environment and surrounded by people can relate to what you are going through. I hope you seriously consider the suggestions to go to detox or rehab. Take care.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Liss - I missed your post; sorry I wasn't "around" to support you. How are you? Have you thought about adding another support network? We are with you, liss. I love SR but I sense that you might need something more intensive, something face-to-face.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Hi Liss. I've been following your struggles, and I'm sorry that life has been ganging up on you. Whatever else people take away from my comments here, I'm always surprised when someone, anyone, gets sober, myself included. It's such a daunting struggle at first, and the rewards just don't seem real or even possible to achieve in the beginning. And then once we achieve sobriety and life gets better, some of us still think about drinking as a reasonable option, even long for it. Something I've thought about recently is that if I'd found SR during my three-year relapse, I doubt that I would have been able to get sober with SR alone. I would've been one of those people who complained about my life, claimed to want to stop but did nothing to make that so, rejected suggestions from people here, and continued to bemoan my inability to stop drinking. I'd likely have used any support I got as a way to stay connected with the human race while I continued to drink 24/7. I'm not saying that any of this is true for you, and I do get it that some people seemed to have gotten sober by using SR alone. But that was not me. I think the biggest thing that allowed me to dry out -- not get sober -- was that I could no longer function on my own. I barely dragged myself to detox, and my five days there were the best five days of my life for the three years leading up to it. I was not at all a candidate for do-it-yourself detox. Knocked out most of the time, and I was able to eat and sleep. When I was discharged, I was unsteady on my feet, all fogged up in my head, and had nothing to look forward to. I'd tell you that my heart was broken, but it was more like it was MIA. I then went to rehab because there was no place left for me to go, and I still couldn't adequately care for myself. As far as I could see, the world didn't care, and I was fine with that. Now that I'm back sober for about two-and-a-half years, I can say with complete confidence that it was all worth it. I'd lost everything and everyone dear to me in life during my relapse, and I saw no way of crawling out of the mess I'd created, and rarely had any motivation to even try. Now I use SR to read about people's struggles, to offer help and support when I can, and to remind myself just how bad everything was for me, and how hard we've all worked and continue working to make things better. Sobriety, salvation, a better life are all available for you when you're ready, and even when you're not. Take a break from a life that's making you feel crazy, that doesn't allow you to trust yourself or anyone else. Surrender, rest, and heal. It's your time.
Thank you x
Old 03-14-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by liss74 View Post
Thank you x
You're welcome.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Hi Liss.

I've been following your struggles, and I'm sorry that life has been ganging up on you.

Whatever else people take away from my comments here, I'm always surprised when someone, anyone, gets sober, myself included. It's such a daunting struggle at first, and the rewards just don't seem real or even possible to achieve in the beginning. And then once we achieve sobriety and life gets better, some of us still think about drinking as a reasonable option, even long for it.

Something I've thought about recently is that if I'd found SR during my three-year relapse, I doubt that I would have been able to get sober with SR alone. I would've been one of those people who complained about my life, claimed to want to stop but did nothing to make that so, rejected suggestions from people here, and continued to bemoan my inability to stop drinking. I'd likely have used any support I got as a way to stay connected with the human race while I continued to drink 24/7. I'm not saying that any of this is true for you, and I do get it that some people seemed to have gotten sober by using SR alone. But that was not me.

I think the biggest thing that allowed me to dry out -- not get sober -- was that I could no longer function on my own. I barely dragged myself to detox, and my five days there were the best five days of my life for the three years leading up to it. I was not at all a candidate for do-it-yourself detox. Knocked out most of the time, and I was able to eat and sleep. When I was discharged, I was unsteady on my feet, all fogged up in my head, and had nothing to look forward to. I'd tell you that my heart was broken, but it was more like it was MIA. I then went to rehab because there was no place left for me to go, and I still couldn't adequately care for myself. As far as I could see, the world didn't care, and I was fine with that.

Now that I'm back sober for about two-and-a-half years, I can say with complete confidence that it was all worth it. I'd lost everything and everyone dear to me in life during my relapse, and I saw no way of crawling out of the mess I'd created, and rarely had any motivation to even try.

Now I use SR to read about people's struggles, to offer help and support when I can, and to remind myself just how bad everything was for me, and how hard we've all worked and continue working to make things better.

Sobriety, salvation, a better life are all available for you when you're ready, and even when you're not. Take a break from a life that's making you feel crazy, that doesn't allow you to trust yourself or anyone else. Surrender, rest, and heal. It's your time.
Thank you for such a great post. This made me cry....not in a bad way. Just gave a lot of hope.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
EndGame

I'm happy to know you got something from it.