Notices

uggh

Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

uggh

Failed tonight. Day 9. Do I really want to quit? Not sure but know don't want to lose everything. Why can't I go out once a week and drink?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Same reason people with peanut allergies can't eat a Snickers Bar. It's hard, but I know you can do it if you keep trying. Sweet dreams. Tomorrow is a new day!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by sobermeplease View Post
Failed tonight. Day 9. Do I really want to quit? Not sure but know don't want to lose everything. Why can't I go out once a week and drink?
Why don't you not go out, then you won't be even more tempted. In the beginning this may seem hard, I stay in more & more, doing my hobby, knitting. Reading. Watch tv, walk my doggie, cook, clean. Then, when you wake up in the morning hangover free you will never regret not drinking. Hold on in there, it's really worth it, I can speak from experience.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

I think you've answered your own question. Stay away from your drinking friends. Find something to do at home. Get rid of liquor in your house. If you went 9 days before, you can do it again. You can get there one day at a time.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi sober
don't beat yourself up, we have all slipped I have more times than I change socks....
keep fighting , maybe don't go out for a wee while, if you do go to the cinema or for a walk, phone someone, maybe get some new friends ? I found out that real friends accept you cannot drink and will be there, others say your dull and boring I'd say get rid of those types
write down where you think you went wrong, what mood were you in ? who were you with ?
keep going, you WILL BEAT THIS
Old 03-14-2014, 12:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A tool Countrysidegirl??? thanks for the advice.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sorry sober I'm new here the icon meant your a tool, you yourself are your strength
sorry if I offended never meant too I will lay off the smilies and icons for now
Old 03-14-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jus
A Little Wingy

Hi soberme.....Yes you want to quit....YES YES YES. But the alcoholic part of your brain tells you, you don't want to.

You have those 9 days, pick yourself up right away. That's what we do, we keep at this until something really clicks.

Be patient with yourself, you're here with us, so that's a good sign, you want help with this.

Go out once and week and have fun. Believe it or not, it's more FUN going out and not drinking.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by countrysidegirl View Post
sorry sober I'm new here the icon meant your a tool, you yourself are your strength
sorry if I offended never meant too I will lay off the smilies and icons for now
Well, now, there's an unfortunate misinterpretation of a smiley.

Originally Posted by sobermeplease
Why can't I go out once a week and drink?
I don't know. Is drinking sometimes a problem for you? Were you planning to not drink anymore?
Old 03-14-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can gain a lot of strength and sense of peace when you accept that you aren't like everyone else. We stray from the "normal" curve because we cannot consume alcohol.

And yet, who says we have to all be the same? Who says we are actually all the same?
A big step for me was learning that it's okay to be different, and that there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

LOL countrysidegirl, that made me giggle

Old 03-14-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Hey sobermeplease. That's a long stretch between your joining and your second post. A long time to struggle and I imagine a lot of drinking inbetween attempts.

After 35 years of daily drinking I finally have achived sobriety. Wish it had been sooner, and when I see young people attempting it, I really root for them because it only gets more difficult the longer you drink.

Looking back, with three + years sober, I better understand my constant failures to achive sobriety. Failing to really want it was a major one. Every time attempted to get sober, I really didn't want to quit drinking. What I wanted was to drink without the consequences: The hangovers, the stupid behaviors, the moral lapses, the shame, and the physical toll drinking was taking. I wasted years doing that, chasing the fun and trying to avoid the misery. I always failed.

Spare yourself the grief of wishing for what you can't have. If you could drink "normally" you'd already be doing that. Quit. Accept never drinking again. Embrace life sober.

good luck
Old 03-14-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The NICE THING about this is you had 9 days sober buddy! That means that even if you do have a hangover, you won't be going through withdrawal so jump back on the wagon man....this one just bought a nice and expensive camera from the dollars saved not drinking (In the past I sold my nice camera to buy beer)

-Serper
Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you have a drinking problem then you can't go out once in a while and drink, simple as that. Accept this fact and get on with your sober life. I relapsed more times than I'd care to admit but kept trying til I finally got it right. Keep at it.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's ok Soberme. I always think of this sober thing as a journey. If you're learning to paint you can't expect to become Van Gogh in a week. Keep working at it. I know when I slipped up after 30 days my alcoholic mind was telling me "man I gotta get 30 days to get back to where I was before I took that drink" No..one day at a time. I will be sober today. This site is so wonderful but just as wonderful is attending an actual meeting. I'm going to make a note that if I'm tempted I need to get my *ss to a meeting. I always seem to find something that puts things into perspective.

I was tempted last night and made a meeting and met someone there who has a neighbor who has 3 kids is separated and is looking for a liver. So sad. Today is today and I want to be sober.