SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Evidence that sobriety really makes a difference (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/325760-evidence-sobriety-really-makes-difference.html)

Marcher13 03-13-2014 08:01 PM

Evidence that sobriety really makes a difference

A little over a year ago I googled "alcoholic symptoms" which gave me the best link ever - SR. Like many of us I described myself as a "functioning alcoholic", I don't know about you but I think I used it as a term to describe getting up -- most mornings -- and going to work. How productive I was on most days is entirely debatable.

That "functioning alcoholic" was a middle aged woman with constant headaches, tension, tiredness, high blood pressure, vague indigestion, elimination issues, constant thirst, a thin cough, some anxiety and a short temper. I told myself it was age.

A swelling left ankle really worried me -- could it be gout? Even then I wondered if I was really alcoholic -- maybe I was just a heavy drinker?

After I stopped drinking I slept for up to ten hours a night. It was winter, I also think my body was doing some heavy repairs on this half-century-plus body and, after a few months, I started feeling really really good. I cut down on meat, increased the fruit and vegetables -- my energy levels increased so I walked and cycled more.

Last Monday, the day after twelve months sobriety, I had full (routine) blood tests. I got the results this morning, every level was normal or good, my blood pressure medication has been quartered.

There it is -- evidence that you can feel great and be healthy and I haven't mentioned the mental and emotional benefits.

reflection 03-13-2014 09:02 PM

Congratulations - that is fantastic. :)

mecanix 03-13-2014 11:17 PM

Marcher ,
I remember your early posts , it's so great you've achieved this and i hope you have many more . In my experience year two is even better than year one so keep on :You_Rock_

Bestwishes, m

HeadLump 03-14-2014 06:59 AM

Fantastic post, Marcher. And many congratulations on a year sober! You are a real inspiration :) :) :)

FreeOwl 03-14-2014 07:01 AM

RIGHT ON!!!

Congratulations.

And thank you for helping me stay sober today by affirming my decision to walk the sober path is the right one for me!

:ring

least 03-14-2014 07:25 AM

Congrats on one year sober! :scoregood And thank you for that positive post. :)

Finnie 03-14-2014 09:41 AM

Thank you so much for your post. I really needed to hear that today. You gave me hope.

Anna 03-14-2014 09:53 AM

I'm so glad that you're doing well.

GotGrace 03-14-2014 11:43 AM

Congratulations, Marcher! Well done!

instant 03-14-2014 01:37 PM

well done- it's amazing what happens when we stop pouring poison down our throats!!!

I found the same thing !!!!

Dee74 03-14-2014 03:34 PM

Great post Marcher - it's so great to see you healthy happy and well :)

D

Mountainmanbob 03-14-2014 03:35 PM

if there were no drunks or addicts in the world
the jails would be mostly empty

MM

SoberLeigh 03-14-2014 03:41 PM

So very well done, Marcher. Congratulations and thanks for your uplifting and affirming post.

Hevyn 03-14-2014 03:43 PM

We're so proud of your one year Marcher. :hug: You sound so grateful and optimistic - and it'll keep getting better.