SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Took a while to do this (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/325730-took-while-do.html)

TheGreatBelow 03-13-2014 02:55 PM

Took a while to do this

Hey I'm Jack,

So at 20 years old I am pretty young as far as alcoholism goes, and as a student I have found it hard to accept that I have a problem. However I am currently failing University due to drinking, I regularly prepare lies in my head incase someone runs into me buying liquor, and I can't get through the night without at least half a bottle of neat whiskey. Previously I was into fitness quite heavily, swimming twice a week and weightlifting four times a week, but I've lapsed completely recently, and put on a lot of weight. I occasionally do a few days here and there but I only get through it thinking about buying a bottle on the way back to my flat. I used to sneak whiskey into the house when I lived with my parents, who don't really drink, especially not at home, but now that I have moved out, I'm having a lot of trouble quitting.

I guess it might have been pride, but it has taken me a while to get around to posting on here, I've visited it many times when I've felt down about my drinking (being drunk at the time of visiting the site).

I've tried to quit a few times but as I have an anxiety disorder, the panic attacks get really bad and I eventually cave, so I thought I would finally bite the bullet and post. Apologies if the post is a bit long.

bluncain 03-13-2014 03:03 PM

Good Man that you want to do something about you alcohol intake.

You'll find great support here.

Good Luck

Raider 03-13-2014 03:07 PM

I wish you the best of luck. Blessings.

Clemence 03-13-2014 03:08 PM

Hi Jack
Welcome! You will find lots of support and good advice here. You obviously recognize that you have a problem and want to deal with it, so you need to have a plan as to how to go about it. There are lots of different ways to do this. Support meetings, literature, these forums, therapy are all options. And night and day there are always people here on SR who understand and can help. Stay close and you can really change your life

Natalie17 03-13-2014 03:11 PM

Welcome! I joined recently, and SR has been a life saver. There is always someone to talk to and to give you support.

TheGreatBelow 03-13-2014 03:12 PM

Thanks, I didn't expect replies that quickly!

I think it is hard to tell another student my age that you have a drinking problem, they tend to just laugh and say 'don't we all'

Correy 03-13-2014 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by TheGreatBelow (Post 4526047)
I've tried to quit a few times but as I have an anxiety disorder, the panic attacks get really bad and I eventually cave...

Hi Jack - anxiety may only get worse with drinking for the simple reason: underlying issue, whatever it is, is not being addressed, just drowned.

I wish I realized my own problem with drinking when I was 20 - I would've saved myself decades of grotesque charade I called my life. (and would have dealt with my own anxiety much, much earlier)

Good luck with your life!!

:)

PurpleKnight 03-13-2014 03:16 PM

Welcome to the Forum!! :wave:

TheGreatBelow 03-13-2014 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Correy (Post 4526084)
Hi Jack - anxiety may only get worse with drinking for the simple reason: underlying issue, whatever it is, is not being addressed, just drowned.

I wish I realized my own problem with drinking when I was 20 - I would've saved myself decades of grotesque charade I called my life. (and would have dealt with my own anxiety much, much earlier)

Good luck with your life!!

:)

Thanks, I've struggled with anxiety all my (admittedly brief) life, the last two years I've been taking SSRI's (Sertraline/Zoloft)

least 03-13-2014 03:16 PM

:welcome

Don't listen to what your friends and fellow students say. Listen to your instincts. If you think you have a problem, you likely do or you wouldn't be here posting about it. Do they have a counseling option at University? That might be one avenue to explore. What about good ol' AA meetings? Lots of support there from others who have been in your position.

At any rate, you'll find a lot of support here any time of day or night. I'm glad you joined the family. :)

CaiHong 03-13-2014 03:19 PM

Jack you do have a problem with drinking, it's great that YOU see that. Time to do something about it. I follow a program and visit SR daily. I hope you can find the strength and conviction to stop drinking before it ruins your promising young life because it will.

All the very best
CaiHong

Correy 03-13-2014 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by TheGreatBelow (Post 4526091)
Thanks, I've struggled with anxiety all my (admittedly brief) life, the last two years I've been taking SSRI's (Sertraline/Zoloft)

Yeah, I hear you, that's not an easy issue to cope with daily.

But I'd rather read and learn how to deal with anxiety and panic attacks by reading, say Peter A. Levine on anxiety and "healing the mind through the body" - hint: these are keywords for you :) - and take it from there instead of patching the issue with this monstrous combo of Zoloft and booze.

TheGreatBelow 03-13-2014 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by least (Post 4526092)
:welcome

Don't listen to what your friends and fellow students say. Listen to your instincts. If you think you have a problem, you likely do or you wouldn't be here posting about it. Do they have a counseling option at University? That might be one avenue to explore. What about good ol' AA meetings? Lots of support there from others who have been in your position.

At any rate, you'll find a lot of support here any time of day or night. I'm glad you joined the family. :)

AA has never really appealed to me, I'm not great at discussing emotions face to face with people, I tend to get very sarcastic and defensive, which isn't helpful in a room full of people who need support.

With you on the dog lover thing though, couldn't live without them!

Dee74 03-13-2014 03:35 PM

Welcome to SR Jack - lots of support and understanding here :)
Glad you found us :)

what's your plan for quitting?

D

TheGreatBelow 03-13-2014 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 4526133)
Welcome to SR Jack - lots of support and understanding here :)
Glad you found us :)

what's your plan for quitting?

D

To be honest I haven't really thought of a plan, I guess cold turkey would be the obvious solution, take it a day at a time?

NedStark 03-13-2014 03:39 PM

Fellow student, known for loving a drink here! I can tell you I know how difficult it is to make the decision. But you can give yourself plenty of credit for admitting to the problem and doing something about it! This will be a great decision. I myself was getting into fitness before the drink and it stopped me, as well as messing up university work.

I would reccomend you see a doctor. If you have been drinking a large amount of alcohol everyday, you will get withdrawl symptoms. If you have not read about alcohol withdraw I think it's best you do an internet search just to make yourself aware.

Welcome to the website. I have only been on here for a day and let me tell you this place is fantastic. Keep coming on here, it will help you massively. Great to have you here, and good luck to you!

Hevyn 03-13-2014 03:44 PM

Welcome Jack! It was a fine post - not too long at all. :)

When I was 20 I already knew I didn't drink normally. I never considered stopping back then. If only I had done what you're doing - my life would have been so different. I kept trying to control how much I drank & ended up completely dependent on it. It was much harder stopping as a middle-aged person. So - you are saving yourself a lot of grief and misery. We're glad you're here!

KateL 03-14-2014 04:15 AM

Welcome Jack xxx